[Speculation] Maple Leafs Rumors: 1 RFA Done in Toronto, Another Facing "Big Questions About His Future"

Maple Leafs Rumors: 1 RFA Done in Toronto, Another Facing "Big Questions About His Future"

Dave Litman Wednesday, June 12, 2024 

Though it might get lost sometimes, the Toronto Maple Leafs actually have more to worry about this offseason than just the future of Mitch Marner. There are a few key UFAs to deal with, and four key restricted free agents as well. 

On the RFA front, the latest report, from Joshua Kloke in The Athletic, indicates that while Nick Robertson and Connor Dewar seem like near certainties to be back on short-term deals, the same can't necessarily be said for the two others, as follows:

Timothy Liljegren

The right-shot defenseman often finds himself in the Leafs Nation doghouse, as his progression on the blueline hasn't always been as linear and upwardly mobile as hoped. That was especially the case in this year's playoffs. 

According to Kloke, Liljegren isn't a priority right now for the Toronto front office, and "It sounds like there hasn’t been much dialogue between the Leafs and Liljegren’s camp over his next contract. 

“While Liljegren has improved his defensive game, the speed with which he plays with and without the puck under pressure leads to the biggest questions about his future in Toronto.

It could take some time this offseason for Liljegren’s future to play out”

The former first-rounder (17th overall, 2017 Draft) saw his minutes take a big jump this season, to 19:40 per game, though he was only able to play in 55 contests. His blocked shots surged to 116, but his plus/minus rating dropped to its lowest in the past three seasons, to +3. 

The possibility of Liljegren being used as a trade chip this offseason remains, though Kloke suggests that they could also take him to arbitration and kick the can of what his long-term future holds down the road. 

Noah Gregor

The 25-year-old had a relatively unremarkable one season in the blue and white, though he did rack up 147 hits in 63 games in his limited minutes playing mostly on the 4th line. His role declined especially in the second half, and with the team waiting to make room for dynamic youngster Easton Cowan next season, it would appear than Gregor's days in Toronto are done.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/maple-leafs-rumors-1-rfa-done-in.html

I wanted Tim here for a while now. But even given the time he's had to develop, he's still up and down. I'd be curious if with good defensive coaching like we have here in Vancouver now, if he'd finally reach his potential? He's at the age he's pretty much what you see is what you get. If he was willing to play here for 2 years on a lowish cap hit,

it might not be bad. I know +/- doesn't tell the whole story. But he's only been a minus player in his first year in the NHL.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wanted Tim here for a while now. But even given the time he's had to develop, he's still up and down. I'd be curious if with good defensive coaching like we have here in Vancouver now, if he'd finally reach his potential? He's at the age he's pretty much what you see is what you get. If he was willing to play here for 2 years on a lowish cap hit,

it might not be bad. I know +/- doesn't tell the whole story. But he's only been a minus player in his first year in the NHL.

Better system and better coaching here could yield some benefits. Totally agree with you 

• Cheers 1

Liljegren looks like the exact type of defenseman that in their late 20s early 30s puts together a solid series of seasons becoming a credible top 4 defenseman.  We've seen it a lot in this league where defensemen in their early to mid 20s are just for whatever reason under utilized or utilized wrong and then break out in a new environment.

I'd take him here if we had Gonchar looking after him 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Liljegren looks like the exact type of defenseman that in their late 20s early 30s puts together a solid series of seasons becoming a credible top 4 defenseman.  We've seen it a lot in this league where defensemen in their early to mid 20s are just for whatever reason under utilized or utilized wrong and then break out in a new environment.

I'd take him here if we had Gonchar looking after him 

I see Liljegren in a similar vein as Jokiharju. Both have potential but struggle with consistency. Both would also likely benefit from a change of scenery and definitely could still become true top 4 defensemen. However, they are also both very solid 3rd pairing options if they can't take the next step.

For the right price (both trade and contract) he's worth taking a flier on.

• Cheers 1

As of right now, Liljegren is a bottom pairing defenceman.  Could he be elevated to a top 4?  Possibly, if given the right coaching and circumstances.  His QO is only $1.5M.  Could playing next to a solid defensive defenceman like Soucy be the key to unlocking his potential?

I laugh how some posters on here were eating up the Toronto media the past couple years and thinking this guy was gonna be some top pairing RHD. 

On 6/13/2024 at 8:23 AM, HKSR said:

As of right now, Liljegren is a bottom pairing defenceman.  Could he be elevated to a top 4?  Possibly, if given the right coaching and circumstances.  His QO is only $1.5M.  Could playing next to a solid defensive defenceman like Soucy be the key to unlocking his potential?

I laugh how some posters on here were eating up the Toronto media the past couple years and thinking this guy was gonna be some top pairing RHD. 

I love Liljegren as a player but he is a bottom pair guy with top 4 potential ceiling in the right circumstance. For the right price I’d bite 

• Like 1

Robertson, Dewar and Littlmsn. LMFAAO. These guys are collective craperolla. So they move on? No loss. Too friggin’ funny. Losers! Thre craperolla players. Only the Leaf eastern media would think these three have nhl value. Loser players. 

On 6/12/2024 at 11:48 PM, Diamonds said:

I see Liljegren in a similar vein as Jokiharju. Both have potential but struggle with consistency. Both would also likely benefit from a change of scenery and definitely could still become true top 4 defensemen. However, they are also both very solid 3rd pairing options if they can't take the next step.

For the right price (both trade and contract) he's worth taking a flier on.

I like Joki!

3 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Sign Liljegren; trade Hronek?

Why not exchange rights? Both are RFAs so an exchange of rights could work for both teams. His 8mill all then becomes Toronto's problem and we could probably ink Liljegren for cheap,  comparatively speaking

On 6/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wanted him Pre-Mono pretty badly but I’m not sure how much you watched his time in Sweden but Mono killed all his momentum leading up to his draft. Kinda sad but I too would take a flyer here.