[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

6 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

He's still scored at a solid 30+ goal rate each of the last 3 seasons, and in you're scenario they're both retaining on him and taking the full value of Mikheyev's contract. That's going to cost some decent assets. 

His issues are mostly personal and there's going to be plenty of GM's willing to bet on a fresh start helping him out on and off the ice. 

Mik has only 2 years left at a much lower Cap hit than Laine. Laine’s negative value and length of contract is far worse. He hasn’t scored 30 goals since 2018 - 2019.

IMG_7170.png

Edited by Grandmaster

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Ah fuck. I did not know that. I’ll be retracting my dig. Wish him health, happiness and self-love.

It's ok it's hard to keep up with all the details. I had no idea either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Maybe after Laine stepping away from the game (and hopefully maturing), and relocating, he could be good again? I don't know, seems lately players want to be in VAN and they don't want to leave. The Canucks now have great management and coaching, and it's a beautiful place to live and play. A fresh start in VAN on Petey's wing with a highly capable coaching staff that cares about its players might be a good fit for him. Happy players produce. I don't think Laine's been happy for years, toiling in Columbus. Those Torts years were probably tough. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I wonder if the player assistance program has a Fortnite treatment program

Players mature and develop at different rates. He's a risk, but if he hits that would be so huge for us and a massive win.

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Mik has only 2 years left at a much lower Cap hit than Lane. The negative value and length of contract is far worse. He hasn’t scored 30 goals since 2018 - 2019.

Laine also only has two years left. By retaining $2M on Laine and taking Mikheyev's full cap hit, they'd only be clearing about $2M off their books each of the next two years. They'd save a few million in actual cash but I'm not sure how much that matters to Columbus.

We can rag on Laine's missed games but Mikheyev just had his first healthy season of his career, and it was a pretty awful season. Despite Laine's absences he still has 54 goals and 117 points to Mikheyev's 45 and 91 over the last three years. In what's been the worst 3 year stretch of his career, Laine has outproduced Mikheyev in what's probably been the best 3 year stretch of Mikheyev's career. There's lots of reasons to think Laine will bounce back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Players mature and develop at different rates. He's a risk, but if he hits that would be so huge for us and a massive win.

Depending on the framework of the trade, it's probably a moderate risk/high reward situation. If the front office believes he can find his old form then there's massive upside. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not so fun fact - Going into the 2016 draft lottery we were in the #2 slot. We fell to #5 and took Juolevi. While Laine who would have been ours was scooped up at #2.

Good old Canuck luck at work.

If I'm not mistaken, the real kick in the dick that year was being one number off of winning the lotto for first overall. Thinking about cheering for Matthews makes me feel uneasy though.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not so fun fact - Going into the 2016 draft lottery we were in the #2 slot. We fell to #5 and took Juolevi. While Laine who would have been ours was scooped up at #2.

Good old Canuck luck at work.

Benning, the moran, saw OJ play one weekend and made him his guy, regardless of what the scouts said. It was obvious Matt Tkatchuk was the pick to everyone except the moran. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Benning, the moran, saw OJ play one weekend and made him his guy, regardless of what the scouts said. It was obvious Matt Tkatchuk was the pick to everyone except the moran. 

homer simpson GIF

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We needed an offensive defenceman. We had drafted our future power forward the year before his name was Jake Virtanen.

More Canuck luck at work. 🤪

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Laine for Mik + Garland was talked about on 650. 

If they would retain him down to about 4.5 million, I would seriously look at that, @Alflives

If his health is back, there are very few guys in the game who can shoot the puck like he can.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1