[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

IMG_5286.jpeg.82f8a36ce2953e14062a3d2212f3c824.jpegIMG_5287.jpeg.2699a50ce018362c320b88f4ec48f5a5.jpeg

The risk may very well be worth the reward. Its 2 years remaining at 8.7mil. Get a 3rd team involved if need be for cap retention and buy low on a guy who is still in his athletic prime. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, even a $1M to $1.5M retention would get my attention.

At his worst, Laine is a PPG player.  That's pretty nuts if you think about it.

A PPG forward with that kinda size for $7.2M to $7.7M AAV would be a very good consolation piece for losing Lindholm. 

Petey seems to like passing the puck a lot anyway, so might be a perfect match. 

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

At his worst, Laine is a PPG player

No, at his best, he is a point a game guy.

He did that once., in 2021/22

2016-17 Winnipeg Jets NHL 73 36 28 64 26 7 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Winnipeg Jets NHL 82 44 26 70 24 8 17 5 7 12 4
2018-19 Winnipeg Jets NHL 82 30 20 50 42 -24 6 3 1 4 0
2019-20 Winnipeg Jets NHL 68 28 35 63 22 8 1 0 0 0 0
2020-21 Winnipeg Jets NHL 1 2 1 3 4 1 -- -- -- -- --
2020-21 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 45 10 11 21 21 -29 -- -- -- -- --
2021-22 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 56 26 30 56 24 -7 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 55 22 30 52 16 -12 -- -- -- -- --
2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 18 6 3 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Frankie Corrado believes the top 3 potential destinations for Laine are:

3. Canes

2. Avs

1. Preds 

Edited by RWJC
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, even a $1M to $1.5M retention would get my attention.

At his worst, Laine is a PPG player.  That's pretty nuts if you think about it.

A PPG forward with that kinda size for $7.2M to $7.7M AAV would be a very good consolation piece for losing Lindholm. 

Petey seems to like passing the puck a lot anyway, so might be a perfect match. 

if ppg is his worst, what was the 9 points in 18 games last season?

... and also virtually every other season of his career ... ?

Canucks need to talk to Laine personally first.

Getting an understanding on Liane’s “situation “ first ,  is where you start.

rumour is he has been depressed since his father passed away,  not unlike BBoesers situation,.   In the same breath,  imagine how those 2 might bond ?

secondly ,   Who the hell has ever benefited or become a better hockey player BECAUSE of John Tortorella ?

Try hard to get his retention at 50% for the final 2 years of his contract ..

Perhaps We send our rnd pick from this year, and or Mikheyev , and or GBriseboise, and or Tucker Poolman 2.5m LTIR 

Hard to think the Blue jackets are expecting much back

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I understand the draw for him blasting one timers on a retained contract that doesn’t hurt us. But that’s not going to happen. And I don’t think this team is looking for reclamation projects on the effort/two-way front. 

Why so far every year we have had a reclamation project,so why not another one???

If the price is right I say yea if he comes in for a long talk first so we can evaluate his mental health first.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

secondly ,   Who the hell has ever benefited or become a better hockey player BECAUSE of John Tortorella ?

Well he won a cup with Tampa and had a few younger star players. Torts is not a bad coach, sure it didn’t work out here but he also coached some very good teams. 

Edited by TheWhiskeyPickle

1 minute ago, TheWhiskeyPickle said:

Well he won a cup with Tampa and had a few younger star players. Torts is not a bad coach, sure he hasn’t worked out in a few places but also coached some very good teams. 

I don’t think he “raised” that team ,  I think a lot of that was great talent, brought together by great management.

I do kind of like him ,  he is a character,  he could and can replace Ron McLean HNC !

When he’s’  “on topic” of a good question or Analysis ,.  He has some interesting view points,.

and throw in that “Al Pacino” aggression !

He’s all “Hollywood “! 😉 

love the way he handles the press !

Could be the next Canuck P.R. manager,

wouldn’t that Rock !

Ha 

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I understand the draw for him blasting one timers on a retained contract that doesn’t hurt us. But that’s not going to happen. And I don’t think this team is looking for reclamation projects on the effort/two-way front. 

I think they'll actually be looking for at least one depressed asset for their lineup.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they'll actually be looking for at least one depressed asset for their lineup.

Well, who wouldn’t be depressed about being traded to Winnipeg?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland + Mik for Laine? Saves us on the cap too. 

I’m not so sure I’d make that deal, even if we would save some cap space. I just don’t like Laine as a player. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

No but they are looking for projects low cost projects that might become players like Dakota Joshua did.  Sounds like Brandon Duhaime is still in their sights for July 1.  

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think he “raised” that team ,  I think a lot of that was great talent, brought together by great management.

I do kind of like him ,  he is a character,  he could and can replace Ron McLean HNC !

When he’s’  “on topic” of a good question or Analysis ,.  He has some interesting view points,.

and throw in that “Al Pacino” aggression !

He’s all “Hollywood “! 😉 

love the way he handles the press !

Could be the next Canuck P.R. manager,

wouldn’t that Rock !

Ha 

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

That Tampa team had a lot of younger guys that he was with a couple years prior to winning the cup. He was along for the ride with them. Also has two Jack Adams trophies. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland + Mik for Laine? Saves us on the cap too. 

I would do that deal in a second. He has elite scoring ability and these players aren't available often. He could be lethal on this team and it's only a 2 year gamble. Worth the risk in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

Here's the quote from Canucks Army that struck me: “After all, who would want a struggling, injury-prone winger on an $8.7 million deal who is currently enrolled in the NHLPA’s player assistance program?”

The article then says, “me” (meaning the author). I see lots of risk here due to attitude and effort.

It seems like Columbus believes they can trade him for full salary plus get a significant return.

I guess maybe someone will bite, but I don’t know if I take him at full freight even if the cost was just a 7th rounder.  So much risk involved.  He has to have a career year just to be worth that salary and he sure hasn’t been tending that way.

He has requested a trade, so that should reduce any value further 

• Upvote 1