[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

I wonder, when Allvin caught wind of Laine wanting out of Columbus if he contacted Waddell (GM), possibly trying to trade Mikheyev. CBJ would want more than just Mikheyev, though. Laine is pretty much a point-a-game player (except last season). What would the add be, if CBJ retained. 

I don't often advocate for interdivisional trades (and I think rightfully so) but I wonder if he could go to the Islanders.  Second fiddle to the Rangers and probably not that much attention but they need scoring out in Long Island, and they could trade someone like Anders Lee (slightly lower cap, both are 2 year contracts) to add some veteran leadership, while the youngish Laine has another chance to display his scoring prowess next to guys like Horvat and Barzal who can playmake for him.  

Laine + either a young player or pick sweetener for Lee (sweetener both because Laine costs more and Lee is admittedly better, but I think it could work given both teams' situations - that or let me have my pipe dream).  

So, we pickup Laine for Mik and Garland at 4.5 million after retention, then as speculated, Los Angeles buys out Dubois at the 1/3rd rate they can get away with this summer, sign him for 1 year, 4.5 million, prove yourself rate, that has the potential at least to be a massive upgrade on scoring horsepower!

😉

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Pass.

Laine is damaged goods.  Hasn’t played over 56 games since joining CBJ.  50pt player getting $8.7M.  Too rich.

Still basically a point per game player......imagine him getting back on track, yowsa

• Like 2

I'd have faith in this coaching group to help turn it around for him.

But can he play a two way game? 

Would need some pretty hefty retention

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Laine for Mikheyev?

It'd be interesting, they both have two seasons remaining and a bit of retention would make it more palatable 

Laine's issue has been health, but he was pretty much point per game the two seasons prior to this one, in which he put up 9 points in 18 games, and he's only 26

The malignment towards him is overstated tbh, he's not a rehabilitation target so much as a guy who would very likely bounce back if played with high end players 

The question would likely be more along the lines of what we'd have to add for them to take Mikheyev/retain a significant portion of his cap hit, he's likely positive value at a lesser cap hit 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

I would take all of Laine's salary if they added Chinakhov and trade them Garland. Garland has more value on the market and hold onto Mikheyev. He may bounce back or we can dump him in season like Beauvillier. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chon derry said:

Doesn’t he have an addiction to video games like petey? Maybe they can recover together :classic_laugh:

It’s Juiolevi who shares a video game addition with Laine, isn’t it? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s Juiolevi who shares a video game addition with Laine, isn’t it? 

Nope- the reporter that 'broke' the addiction thing has stated Ollie is not the guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Still basically a point per game player......imagine him getting back on track, yowsa

You and I have discussed Laine for some time. He would be such an interesting add to EP’s wing. I’m very tempted provided we have an exit strategy should the experiment fail. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he's been a point per game player precisely one time in his career, 56 points in 56 games. 388 pts in 480 career games. 

"basically" a point per game player. 

15 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Dude isn't that good without the puck. It's a pass for me. Not at that cap hit.

Yep.

If Tocchet wasn’t gonna give Kuzmenko a spot how could he turn around and give Laine one?

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Pass.

Laine is damaged goods.  Hasn’t played over 56 games since joining CBJ.  50pt player getting $8.7M.  Too rich.

I picked him in my hockey pools for years. He’s brittle. Gets injured way too easily. And not from things like blocking shots, he’s just got some brittle bones 

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Tabloid material but funny. Pete is I'm sure laser focused on next year. He's got a lot to prove Dank n Hank had a similar build and were iron men. He could learn a lot from working out with them. 

My bet is Lindholm walks Hoglander + Hronek traded and Pete get's 7-9m in wingers next year. If Pete want's to be mentioned in the same breath as Datsyuk he's got work to do.  Flip coin Datsyuk showed promise at 24/25 and broke out at 28. 6th rd pick though. 

Pete can be one of the greats his jersey might hang from our rafters but right now he's taken a big bite can he swallow it.