[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

I picked him in my hockey pools for years. He’s brittle. Gets injured way too easily. And not from things like blocking shots, he’s just got some brittle bones 

Brittle bones and weak in the head. He’s heading to Montreal. They like those kinds of players. They will trade for PLD too. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You and I have discussed Laine for some time. He would be such an interesting add to EP’s wing. I’m very tempted provided we have an exit strategy should the experiment fail. 

I think the deal would have to be very sweet indeed. I think if we figure the cost of a Laine buyout vs a Mikheyev buyout it's only a 1m spread if bought out 2025 or 700k bought out now worth the risk especially if they retain a bit to even it out. 

Would Laine pot 40-50 w Pete? He might? Or he shits the bed and we buyout for at worst a mild increase in cap penalty hopefully made a wash by retention. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Mik has only 2 years left at a much lower Cap hit than Laine. Laine’s negative value and length of contract is far worse. He hasn’t scored 30 goals since 2018 - 2019.

IMG_7170.png

He looks like Lafferty. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

We needed an offensive defenceman. We had drafted our future power forward the year before his name was Jake Virtanen.

More Canuck luck at work. 🤪

On the surface, you'd think the OJ pick was a rare really bad miss by our European amateur scouts but OJ played a good chunk of his minor league hockey in Canada (OHL).  Virtanen, another "winner" from our Canadian amateur scouting department.  Ron Delorme can't be blamed as he was in Sweden scouting EP.🕵️‍♀️

3 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

If they're retaining $2M or more and taking Mikheyev's full contact, I think that price starts to get pretty high. Maybe Lekkerrimaki and a first? 

Go visit doctor brother.Something is wrong with you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I would take him if there was a big deal to be had.

A good interview with our management and coach first plus health check.

If he has turned it around and seems excited and willing to learn from RT we might have a top 6 player.

Laine  40 per cent retained, Sillinger , Boqvist and a 3rd

For 

Hronek , Mik and Hogs 

We get a top 6 player, RD and 3rd line center 

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

If Tocchet wasn’t gonna give Kuzmenko a spot how could he turn around and give Laine one?

I believe the biggest issue with kuzmenko was that he wasn't scoring and looked lost offensively. I believe that Tocchet would have put up with his defensive issues if he was scoring. Laine has his shortfalls but if he's scoring Tocchet will make it work.

25 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think the deal would have to be very sweet indeed. I think if we figure the cost of a Laine buyout vs a Mikheyev buyout it's only a 1m spread if bought out 2025 or 700k bought out now worth the risk especially if they retain a bit to even it out. 

Would Laine pot 40-50 w Pete? He might? Or he shits the bed and we buyout for at worst a mild increase in cap penalty hopefully made a wash by retention. 

That’s a good way of looking at it.

and if it’s a success could probably trade him for more.

i wonder what the trade will look like though he’s a distressed asset but I’m sure there are teams willing to take the risk especially if there is any retention 

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Pass.

Laine is damaged goods.  Hasn’t played over 56 games since joining CBJ.  50pt player getting $8.7M.  Too rich.

Maybe a change of scenery fixes that?

Remember Cam Neely?  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

If Tocchet wasn’t gonna give Kuzmenko a spot how could he turn around and give Laine one?

Very valid. I wanted Laine in his draft year. But seeing how one dimensional he really is. Yeah, no.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

As much truth there is to that kuzmenko was not shooting or producing and also not playing the system properly.

laine if the bet hits will still be firing pucks and out scoring problems and if insulated ina. Strong system maybe it works

maybe he even buys into what we are doing

i am not all in on laine or even feeling good about him as a player but I’d be open to the experiment if the trade price wasn’t too great

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He looks like Lafferty. 

But the gap between Laine buyout and Mik buyout is close. 

6.33m for 2 years 3.16 per if experiment fails and we buy out Laine 2025

Vs 3.3m over 2 or 6.4m over 4 if we buyout Mik this year. So I see frame work. Columbus doesn't have to buy out Laine at 12.666 over 4 they retain 2m x 2 say and take Mik and they are 2 years closer to out of the woods. We gamble on Laine + Pete which could be fire Kuzz would have scored 40 if Tocch didn't put him in the pressbox.  With a little retained there would be more to be gained than lost in terms of cap and upside. The question is the amount retained + Mik. Right now if Laine is FA does he get 3mx2? 4x1?

My $0.02      

23 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I would take him if there was a big deal to be had.

A good interview with our management and coach first plus health check.

If he has turned it around and seems excited and willing to learn from RT we might have a top 6 player.

Laine  40 per cent retained, Sillinger , Boqvist and a 3rd

For 

Hronek , Mik and Hogs 

We get a top 6 player, RD and 3rd line center 

That’s quite the trade proposal 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Laine for Mik + Garland was talked about on 650. 

That would be insane in there wasn’t a hefty salary retention.  At his contract, Laine is a huge negative.

The dude is in the players assistance program for his mental health.  Being overpaid in a Canadian market is not the right place for him to thrive.

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

You and I have discussed Laine for some time. He would be such an interesting add to EP’s wing. I’m very tempted provided we have an exit strategy should the experiment fail. 

Right hand shot and, even as a depressed asset, he's still scoring at a 30-40 goal clip and, basically a point per game.

Imo, the Canucks are going to be targeting at least one "depressed asset" going fwd.  Obviously he's an offense first guy, but he's also a Finn and taught to play in all zones of the ice from a young age.

It'd be a huge swing, no doubt, and I have no idea what it'd take to get him........probably more than the Canucks want to offer.

Could they target two distressed assets and include Boqvist?

Hronek and Mik

Laine, Boqvist and a pick

Or

Laine (retention) and Boqvist

That'd leave money to keep Zad and go after Pesce or another good defensive dman to play with Hughes

Suter Miller Boes 

Hogz Petey Laine

Podz ______ Garland

PDG Blueger Laffy (apparently possible)

Aman

Hughes pesce

Zad Boqvist

Soucy Myers

Juuls

• Cheers 1