[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

3 minutes ago, Goose said:

absolutely not, unless he’s a born again defensive ace

Where did this team struggle in the playoffs?  Really for the entire second half of the season

51 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Maybe a change of scenery fixes that?

Remember Cam Neely?  

Neely was traded on his 21st birthday.

Laine is 26 and has worn out his welcome on two teams now.  He is well overpaid for his production.

Neely blossomed immediately in Boston and was a 2x 50 goal scorer by 26 .

• Cheers 2

Just now, Screw said:

Neely was traded on his 21st birthday.

Laine is 26 and has worn out his welcome on two teams now.  He is well overpaid for his production.

Neely blossomed immediately in Boston and was a 2x 50 goal scorer by 26 .

Is he though?  Why do you say that?

6 minutes ago, Screw said:

8.7 for Brock Boeser level production seems a little rich to me.

Do you think boes is getting less than that on his next deal?

Edited by stawns

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Right hand shot and, even as a depressed asset, he's still scoring at a 30-40 goal clip and, basically a point per game.

Imo, the Canucks are going to be targeting at least one "depressed asset" going fwd.  Obviously he's an offense first guy, but he's also a Finn and taught to play in all zones of the ice from a young age.

It'd be a huge swing, no doubt, and I have no idea what it'd take to get him........probably more than the Canucks want to offer.

Could they target two distressed assets and include Boqvist?

Hronek and Mik

Laine, Boqvist and a pick

Or

Laine (retention) and Boqvist

That'd leave money to keep Zad and go after Pesce or another good defensive dman to play with Hughes

Suter Miller Boes 

Hogz Petey Laine

Podz ______ Garland

PDG Blueger Laffy (apparently possible)

Aman

Hughes pesce

Zad Boqvist

Soucy Myers

Juuls

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you think boes is getting less than that on his next deal?

Not sure  Contracts inflate as years go by and as the cap grows but, you know that.

What is your take on Laine’s contract?

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

Not sure  Contracts inflate as years go by and as the cap grows but, you know that.

What is your take on Laine’s contract?

I'd say it's pretty reasonable given his consistent production over his career, especially early on.......though he's still almost a goal every 2 games and a point per game player.

It's a risk, no doubt, but not really on the offense side as, even though he's been unhappy for some time, he's still putting up numbers.  That said, I'd be pushing CBJ to retain a million or so if I were PA

He's only got two years left and if he merely maintains his current production, he's still worth it and if he takes off, then all the better.  Then can try to re-sign him or sell high 

We aren’t trading for Laine lol. I can see a team desperate for a star type player making this move. Probably a bottom feeder or borderline playoff team.

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

We aren’t trading for Laine lol. I can see a team desperate for a star type player making this move. Probably a bottom feeder or borderline playoff team.

Aren't the Canucks desperate for a star winger for Petey?  That's all people have been talking about for months.

Just now, stawns said:

Aren't the Canucks desperate for a star winger for Petey?  That's all people have been talking about for months.

I think the fans are desperate. I don’t think management is. We had one and traded him. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Kuzmenko didn't work under Tocchet, how is Laine going to work?  Laine is just as slow and one dimensional as Kuzmenko.  

Laine drew 23 pims in 18 games this year. Usually a good indicator a player is putting pressure on D to make mistakes. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Right hand shot and, even as a depressed asset, he's still scoring at a 30-40 goal clip and, basically a point per game.

Imo, the Canucks are going to be targeting at least one "depressed asset" going fwd.  Obviously he's an offense first guy, but he's also a Finn and taught to play in all zones of the ice from a young age.

It'd be a huge swing, no doubt, and I have no idea what it'd take to get him........probably more than the Canucks want to offer.

Could they target two distressed assets and include Boqvist?

Hronek and Mik

Laine, Boqvist and a pick

Or

Laine (retention) and Boqvist

That'd leave money to keep Zad and go after Pesce or another good defensive dman to play with Hughes

Suter Miller Boes 

Hogz Petey Laine

Podz ______ Garland

PDG Blueger Laffy (apparently possible)

Aman

Hughes pesce

Zad Boqvist

Soucy Myers

Juuls

im not as big on Boqvist as I am Bean but it’s not a bad consolation prize. Boqvist’s injury history worries me a bit. Still think there are others that might be a better option for untapped potential and improvement in our system like Liljegren.

One of the issues imho that has plagued Laine in his career is he disrupts chemistry. He wasn’t liked in WPG - partly because he challenged Wheeler and Schieffle’s leadership club, and in CBJ he apparently again caused issue with Atkinson and other team leaders by playing selfishly and providing much less than the 100% effort they expected (leading to Torts benching him 4 games into his tenure).

if he has finally hit the point in his career where his personal experiences off ice and issues on ice can provide him a level of maturity, he could still be a gem.

thats the risk though. You may not get that player out of him until next contract year. 

Edited by RWJC

30 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Laine drew 23 pims in 18 games this year. Usually a good indicator a player is putting pressure on D to make mistakes. 

I'm not talking about the offensive zone, I'm talking about the defensive zone.  Like with Kuzmenko, does Laine even know where it is?  Also, he played 18 games last year.  The season is 82 games long.  He's missed 117 games in the last 3 years.  I don't think this is a guy we want to rely on to take us to the promised land...

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Laine is a project for sure so wondering how it works in GM world. If I was Canucks GM I would want to see Tocchet interview Laine one on one first. Tocchet is the type of guy who could figure out if Laine is a good reclamation project or not. Would that be a weird request?