[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

27 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Laine is a project for sure so wondering how it works in GM world. If I was Canucks GM I would want to see Tocchet interview Laine one on one first. Tocchet is the type of guy who could figure out if Laine is a good reclamation project or not. Would that be a weird request?

I would expect they'd do their due diligence, for sure.

I doubt it's going to happen, but I expect them to be looking for that kind of deal sonewhere

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

it's hilarious that stawns spent 6 years unloading on people for calling boeser a 30 goal scorer when he'd *only* scored 29, but now he's pushing 388 pts in 480 gp, 1 single (partial) ppg season out of an 8 season career patrik laine as a point per game player. 

pick a lane. 

I said he's still "basically" a point per game player despite being unhappy in CBJ........last year he had 52 points in 55 games and the year before he had 56 points in 56 games.  

Just now, stawns said:

I said he's still "basically" a point per game player despite being unhappy in CBJ........last year he had 52 points in 55 games and the year before he had 56 points in 56 games.  

the season before last you mean. last year, as in the most recently completed season, he was 0.5 ppg. 

it's also pretty telling that he's only managed 120 games or whatever over 3 seasons.

absolutely not to laine the diva. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, tas said:

the season before last you mean. last year, as in the most recently completed season, he was 0.5 ppg. 

it's also pretty telling that he's only managed 120 games or whatever over 3 seasons.

Haha, 18 games.  Quite the sample size.

That said, it'd be a risk, no doubt.   I do think they'll be looking for that kind of deal for though.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Haha, 18 games.  Quite the sample size.

That said, it'd be a risk, no doubt.   I do think they'll be looking for that kind of deal for though.

so they couldn't/can't justify $4 million for a chris tanev, the best pure shutdown defenceman in the league and renowned inspirational warrior, because he gets hurt sometimes blocking shots with his face, but they can justify $8.7 mil for a floater who's constantly injured because he doesn't keep himself in good enough shape and, when healthy, only shows up when he feels like it?

makes sense. 

• ThereItIs 2

28 minutes ago, tas said:

Something to do with Finns. He's been pumping Jesperi Kokaniemi for some time as well

• Cheers 2

Just now, Whorvat said:

Something to do with Finns. He's been pumping Jesperi Kokaniemi for some time as well

he pumps anything that's against the grain because being contrarian is the entirety of his schtick. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, tas said:

so they couldn't/can't justify $4 million for a chris tanev, the best pure shutdown defenceman in the league and renowned inspirational warrior, because he gets hurt sometimes blocking shots with his face, but they can justify $8.7 mil for a floater who's constantly injured because he doesn't keep himself in good enough shape and, when healthy, only shows up when he feels like it?

makes sense. 

Are they not desperately trying to find Petey a high scoring rw?  That's all people have been talking about for months. 

He's got two years left on his deal and he's still a prolific scorer.......,pretty low risk if you ask me

5 minutes ago, tas said:

he pumps anything that's against the grain because being contrarian is the entirety of his schtick. 

Something something WHL all star something

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

How is discussing a laine trade in a Laine trade discussion "contrarian"?  Contrary to whom?  You?  

What I get out of that is that you think your opinion is the right one and don't really tolerate others very well.

If you're not here to discuss, why are you here?  Just to be a dick?

bush-good-job.gif

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  His name is Jake Guentzel.  And Laine hasn't been a star winger for like 5 years...

Maybe if you rub 2 nickles together he will come 

Just now, Hammertime said:

Maybe if you rub 2 nickles together he will come 

And JG is going to cost $9m+ for the next 7 years........for a guy who is going to be 30 in Oct.  

$9m+ for a 37 year old

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are they not desperately trying to find Petey a high scoring rw?  That's all people have been talking about for months. 

He's got two years left on his deal and he's still a prolific scorer.......,pretty low risk if you ask me

being saddled with a sulky, out of shape, 0.5 ppg diva making $8.7 mil against the cap is shockingly high risk. 

• Cheers 2

He is a big guy who doesn't use his size, he has very significant issues with foot speed for the current NHL.  So big slow, not physical.

He doesn't play a whiff of D and does seem like has been a Diva, though I don't judge someone for wanting out of Winnipeg.

He is a great shooter though.

Personally wouldn't want him near the team as I think with his tendencies would be a potential for issues as EP has some of the same bad off ice tendencies.  

I think his niche is a poor small market team that he could be the face of but never really expect to go anywhere like CBJ, just not sure he gets that.

Who knows though, the way Tocchet seemed to turn around Boesser's game, maybe this guy is recoverable but I would want assets to take him on, not give them up especially with how slow we looked against Edmonton, this guy would exacerbate that issue..

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Go visit doctor brother.Something is wrong with you.

Dumping 2 years of Mikheyev's full contract costs a first rounder in itself. Potentially even more, it's tough to say what the market on salary dumps will be this winter. Laine with $2M retained is a valuable asset. Maybe not worth JL, but valuable. If Columbus is willing to retain $2M or more I think a lot of people will be surprised at what he fetches.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

And JG is going to cost $9m+ for the next 7 years........for a guy who is going to be 30 in Oct.  

$9m+ for a 37 year old

Yeah but Laine looks and plays like he is 50.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

$9m+ for a 37 year old

Biggest years that matter are the next 4 really. After that our window likely starts to shrink regardless.

Also it’s about percent of the cap. What’s 9 mil right now 10% of the cap roughly? What will it be in 4-5 years? The cap might be at 100+ mil so it might only be like 8% of the cap. As long as he’s still able to put up 70+ points it would be fine. Lots of examples of players who ply his style performing until 35-36.

3 hours ago, tas said:

it's hilarious that stawns spent 6 years unloading on people for calling boeser a 30 goal scorer when he'd *only* scored 29, but now he's pushing 388 pts in 480 gp, 1 single (partial) ppg season out of an 8 season career patrik laine as a point per game player. 

pick a lane. 

Some would argue it's pick a Laine  

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

A trade that could work out for both clubs is Laine to CAR for KK. CAR should have some sizeable available cap space if losing Necas, Guentzel and Pesce, so they could take on Laine and also clear out the Kotkaniemi deal. I could see Lindholm going back to CAR or heading to NSH or BOS as well, but with new mgmt in CAR perhaps they reset a slight bit. Tulsky is an analytics guy and maybe sees a few different angles on how to proceed with that club.

Columbus has sad C depth, so let's trade Lindys rights, Kravtsov's rights, Mik, McDonough, Woo and Poolman for Laine. Throw a bunch of names at it to get the Columbus fans whipped up that its an overpayment.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Yeah but you clowned people who called Boeser basically a 30 goal player though