[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

if you're the canucks

would you rather spend ~10 million on Mikheyev and a Jake Debrusk type UFA signing?

or spend ~10 million on Laine and a Dunhaime type UFA singing?

Laine only has 2 years left on his contract. if CBJ is willing to move him for Mikheyev i'd do it straight up.

I'd rather take a 2-year gamble than go out and sign a  2nd line UFA to a 4-6 year contract. 

With Laine it's high risk but, also extremely high reward. If he's heads in the game and you put him with JT or Petey he could be a 40G+ guy

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, bh90 said:

if you're the canucks

would you rather spend ~10 million on Mikheyev and a Jake Debrusk type UFA signing?

or spend ~10 million on Laine and a Dunhaime type UFA singing?

Laine only has 2 years left on his contract. if CBJ is willing to move him for Mikheyev i'd do it straight up.

I'd rather take a 2-year gamble than go out and sign a  2nd line UFA to a 4-6 year contract. 

With Laine it's high risk but, also extremely high reward. If he's heads in the game and you put him with JT or Petey he could be a 40G+ guy

I agree. Laine would be a good gamble 

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Makes total sense.  Why commit if he isn't going to be cleared to play. I agree with others here that the potential rewards in acquiring him almost outweigh the risks. Playing him with Petey makes the most sense and it could be a very dominant line. If they play well together, then we could be a more serious contender for the cup next year. Looking forward to seeing what happens

Edited by BTueyCanucksFan
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, AK-19 said:

I much prefer having Laine over Guentzal considering their (potential) contracts. 

Agreed. If we are going to shell out big money for a forward to pay with EP40, I would rather said player be under 30 as opposed to Guentzel who will be 30 later this year. It is like the Hronek contract, at 26 his new contract holds more value than a similar contract for an equally good RHD over 30. Just my opinion though

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Russo and Joe Smith of The Athletic write that the Minnesota Wild have had talks with the Columbus Blue Jackets about potentially acquiring scorer Patrik Laine. The 26-year-old Laine hasn’t been the goal-scorer he was when he broke into the league with the Winnipeg Jets back in 2016-17 but hasn’t had much support in Columbus and was limited to just 18 games last season. A change of scenery could be just what Laine needs as he tries to get his career back on track. The Wild struggled to score last season and with limited cap space, they will be looking for bounce-back seasons from several current players. Acquiring Laine might provide a safety net for Minnesota if they aren’t able to get depth scoring from their current roster of players.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-askarov-tanev-laine.html#ref=home

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Michael Russo and Joe Smith of The Athletic write that the Minnesota Wild have had talks with the Columbus Blue Jackets about potentially acquiring scorer Patrik Laine. The 26-year-old Laine hasn’t been the goal-scorer he was when he broke into the league with the Winnipeg Jets back in 2016-17 but hasn’t had much support in Columbus and was limited to just 18 games last season. A change of scenery could be just what Laine needs as he tries to get his career back on track. The Wild struggled to score last season and with limited cap space, they will be looking for bounce-back seasons from several current players. Acquiring Laine might provide a safety net for Minnesota if they aren’t able to get depth scoring from their current roster of players.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-askarov-tanev-laine.html#ref=home

Laine would come back to life with Kaprizov 

• Cheers 1

On 6/15/2024 at 1:45 AM, fuzzy said:

I agree. Laine would be a good gamble 

I like the idea of Laine scoring a bunch of goals here. Plus he is Finnish so I’d enjoy that too.
But with how he plays, not a end-to-end player, not a full 60-minutes player and also not a full 82 meaningful regular season games kinda guy - I really don’t see him as being what our management or staff wants to have here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Pick up Laine with retention and sign Stammer.

A Petey - Stammer - Laine line could be fun!

They’d have to retain like 95% of his contract to make that fit 😂. Would be a dreamy line but we also have a hole on the defence that we need to address. Only room for one big ticket add on the top line. I do like the gamble in Laine. He’ll come cheap and it’s not very often you can get a potential 40 goal guy in his prime ages for cheap. If we strike out on Guentzel and even Stamkos I’d definitely do Laine over a collection of mid guys. Maybe add Laine and Olofsson (1 year 1.2 million tell him he’d be the front runner spot on the line with Miller and Boeser). Buffalo put Olofsson in the bottom 6 and only got like 15 points. In his 2 previous seasons 20+ goals and 40+ points. I’d rather that guy with JT then stone hands Suter!

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Retention down to 5 per AAV? 

Between that and 6. I think there is value there. Not sure what it would take, but if they retained enough, maybe Podz and a pick next year. I love Podz but I don’t think he’ll ever be anything more than a bottom 6 and we could replace him with Duhaim or another big body. I think Laine being fed by Petey could be deadly

• 4 weeks later...

Could Utah be a fit? Doesn't seem like the BJ's are looking for a hockey trade so to speak.

Laine with retainment would be much better value depending on the retainment. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Could Utah be a fit? Doesn't seem like the BJ's are looking for a hockey trade so to speak.

1 second, 1 third rounder and Pods for half his salary retained. 

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

1 second, 1 third rounder and Pods for half his salary retained. 

I don't really think we need him now tbh, we've got plenty of forwards 

The cap doesn't quite work out either 

If we bring in a larger cap hit it should probably be a defenseman 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Checks pockets. I've got a 2nd and 4th next year, a Klimovich and a Woo, a gum wrapper and a toothpick. 

A few baseball cards and a sack of marbles too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Utah could work. Montreal could have interest as well. They have 12 picks in next years draft (7 on the first 3 rounds) a deep prospect pool and tbe cap space to make it happen