[Speculation] Laine trade in the works

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

So this guy has mental health, addiction issues and shoulder injury issues? 

Ok, I am not in for a half salary retained trade anymore 

Idk about addiction, couldn't player assistance just be mental health?

I get not wanting him for injury/hockey reasons, but I ain't gonna dump on a guy for struggling with mental health, wealth and privilege don't make one exempt from that sort of struggle despite providing the opportunity to access resources less fortunate people cannot

Wouldn't knock him for substance use either, that's an issue that affects every single demographic of society 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Idk about addiction, couldn't player assistance just be mental health?

I get not wanting him for injury/hockey reasons, but I ain't gonna dump on a guy for struggling with mental health, wealth and privilege don't make one exempt from that sort of struggle despite providing the opportunity to access resources less fortunate people cannot

Wouldn't knock him for substance use either, that's an issue that affects every single demographic of society 

He is addicted to Fortnite

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Can't say I blame him for not wanting to stay in Columbus, they've largely been a non-competitive franchise

They may not get the return they'd have liked, but I do think he'll be moved

55 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Can't say I blame him for not wanting to stay in Columbus, they've largely been a non-competitive franchise

They may not get the return they'd have liked, but I do think he'll be moved

I can see him not reporting, and his contact terminated. He's already made 40+ mil so he doesn't need the money. He strikes me as the rare type of guy that would do that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can see him not reporting, and his contact terminated. He's already made 40+ mil so he doesn't need the money. He strikes me as the rare type of guy that would do that.

Rich people always want more. It’s easy for us to say he doesn’t need the money.

Zero chance he walks away from 18 mil.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Id agree most of the time, but Laine is kooky.

I’d say he would maybe walk away with a year left after he gets his next signing bonus.

But only cause he could probably still get another lucrative contract in Russia.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d say he would maybe walk away with a year left after he gets his next signing bonus.

But only cause he could probably still get another lucrative contract in Russia.

With the ruble being worth next to nothing, he might want to consider asking to get paid in 'Fortnite credits'.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2024 at 1:53 PM, Chickenspear said:

With the ruble being worth next to nothing, he might want to consider asking to get paid in 'Fortnite credits'.

Nah he’s gonna have to settle for iTunes gift cards.

On 8/17/2024 at 1:02 PM, Bob Long said:

This is definitely something that folks often forget, mainly because agents don’t want that as part of the messaging.

The parties can always mutually agree to terminate a contract, or the player can just not report.

A player is never trapped, they are only restricted to not getting all the money they negotiated if they don’t want to live up to their contract.

From the Columbus angle, they just have to decide whether what they could grt as a return for him with 50% retained is worth more than the entire amount of cap space if they terminated his contract.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is definitely something that folks often forget, mainly because agents don’t want that as part of the messaging.

The parties can always mutually agree to terminate a contract, or the player can just not report.

A player is never trapped, they are only restricted to not getting all the money they negotiated if they don’t want to live up to their contract.

From the Columbus angle, they just have to decide whether what they could grt as a return for him with 50% retained is worth more than the entire amount of cap space if they terminated his contract.

Things are so bad in the relationship, it seems possible to me. Plus he seems like the rare guy that would do it.