Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

Jess

NHL Teams Are Calling About Vancouver Canucks Winger Andrei Kuzmenko

Story by Lyle Richardson

image.png.fdf95b6c906f3ea02a5314a830b8f9e3.png
Andrei Kuzmenko Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports
© Provided by The Hockey News

Last season saw Andrei Kuzmenko make an impressive NHL debut with 39 goals and 74 points. However, the 27-year-old winger's future with the Vancouver Canucks is in question, dropping down their depth chart with just 15 points in 25 games.

On Saturday, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman spoke of an “emerging situation” with Kuzmenko. The winger averaged just 15 minutes of ice time in five of his last six games after being scratched from two games.

Friedman said other teams inquired into Kuzmenko's status. He pointed out the Canucks are always looking to shed some salary. Kuzmenko carries an average annual value of $5.5 million through 2024-25 with a 12-team no-trade clause, according to PuckPedia.

This isn't the first time a Canucks forward has been the subject of trade speculation this year. Brock Boeser and Conor Garland were fixtures in the rumor mill from the midpoint of last season through the start of this campaign. However, the Canucks' strong start this season has silenced that chatter.

Friedman's colleague Iain MacIntyre reports Vancouver president Jim Rutherford said his club will try to help Kuzmenko improve his game. Nevertheless, the Canucks have been busy in this season's trade market.

Since September, they dealt Tanner Pearson to Montreal for Casey DeSmith, acquired Sam Lafferty from Toronto, sent Jack Rathbone to Pittsburgh for Mark Friedman, peddled Anthony Beauvillier to Chicago and acquired Nikita Zadorov from Calgary.

The Province's Patrick Johnston considers it no surprise that teams are calling about Kuzmenko, though he adds that just because a team calls “doesn't mean there's a cogent answer.” Still, he wondered if Kuzemenko's agent might speak out on his client's behalf the way he did for Zadorov last month, greasing the skids for his trade to Vancouver.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:56 PM, D.B Cooper said:

Well he better figure it out pretty fucking soon. Lol. 
Hard work, forecheck and backcheck are his problem.  
What better way to fix that than be stapled to the 4th line?   

I was worried about him this off season when he predominantly trained in Bali and other places…sorry that doesn’t strike me as dedicated.

I’ve seen other players try “train” on vacation and it always ends up bad…like posting pics of him training in Bali was supposed to show us how hard he’s working…ugh I hated it

Last Canuck player I remember doing that, ie: training abroad on vacation and posting about it was actually Goldobin…we all know how that worked out for him

Training hard and posting about it during the offseason screams bull shit to me…Jake Virtanen used to do it a lot and even Boeser (not trying to be hard on boes, but he did)

This offseason did we hear about Boeser and de beauty league or anything else? No, we didn’t. He finally just put the work in and come to camp in shape and focused. 

Players posting constantly about training in the offseason seems like a smoke screen to me. Like they are trying to show management hey we’re working hard here…see me online! I’m working out!! So so hard…then they come to camp and lay eggs

• Cheers 1

So relieved to see him score last night. He's been trying hard, taking feedback from the coach and his demotion in stride, and looks to be earning his way back up.

Would love to see him work out long-term for us, he seems like a really positive guy and good teammate. 

• Upvote 1

After not playing again last night here is my take.

Tocc is teaching Kuz a lesson.

He came in here at the beginning of the year acting like a rock star because he scored 39 goals riding on Petey's shirt tails.

He is being shown that whoever plays with Petey gets goals and points, Laffer now Suter.

So learn to play the way the coach wants or you can sit.

It's a lot easier to do when you are winning of course.

GCG

It makes me wonder if they'll trade Kuzmenko, only because he chose Vancouver and severing ties with Kuzy could affect future negotiations with Millstein. What do they do with him though?

My hope is that he figures it out and gets back on Petey's line. Maybe Tocchet and Foote need to rough him up a bit in practice, get him used to that part of the game. Teach him how to check.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, Boeser is the better player in literally every aspect of the game, offensively, defensively, and physically. He's also a year younger. The choice seems obvious to me, at least for now.

Kuz is a talented one way goal scorer. He has the shooting percentage of Boeser last year and Boeser has his shooting percentage from last year. you don't want to make the same error that they almost did last year, right?

1 minute ago, sxqhfeh said:

Kuz is a talented one way goal scorer. He has the shooting percentage of Boeser last year and Boeser has his shooting percentage from last year. you don't want to make the same error that they almost did last year, right?

Boeser this year is better than Kuzmenko last year. Boeser does more than just score goals--he's a capable all around forward.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Boeser this year is better than Kuzmenko last year. Boeser does more than just score goals--he's a capable all around forward.

how do you know, only 33 games? Kuz finished fourth on the Canucks in 2022–23 with 74 points (39 goals, 35 assists) in 81 games on a bad session, He now has 43 goals and 89 points in 105 career NHL games over parts of two seasons with the Canucks, looks good to you?

whatever you do, don't trade him, you don't want to make the same error that they almost did last year with Boeser, now Boeser is a top goal scorer in the league, Kuz will find his game eventually, just one thing I think coach should do is, don't put him back to Petterson's line, it won't work until Petey back to 100%... hopefully

12 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

how do you know, only 33 games? Kuz finished fourth on the Canucks in 2022–23 with 74 points (39 goals, 35 assists) in 81 games on a bad session, He now has 43 goals and 89 points in 105 career NHL games over parts of two seasons with the Canucks, looks good to you?

I know because I watch the games and I notice intangibles that I've never seen in Kuzmenko's game. Boeser battles for pucks, is hard on the forecheck, etc. Like I said, ignore the offensive metrics and 2023-24 Boeser beats out anything Kuzmenko has ever done.

• Cheers 2

Is Goldobin a comparable to Kuzy? What I mean is,  Goldy has offensive upside, but lacked in his defensive play.  And he shipped himself back to Mother Russia.

I really don't want this to happen to Kuzy.

Obviously Kuzy's situation is vastly different than Goldy's in that he's an older free agent signing. Goldy's the same age as Kuzy, yes? And he tried to make a comeback to the NHL, but no one would have him.

I guess we can surmise that after last season's sample size we got from Kuzy, he's better than Goldy ever was for us. So it stands to reason that Kuzy's a keeper. It's all in his hands now. 

Go Kuzman!!!! Go!!!!

Not to go on about Kuzy's plight; did someone mention that he was also benched by BB last year? Or maybe I heard that on Donny and Dahli. I don't remember, but I recall hearing it somewheres. This is me being a devil's advocate type guy again!

Kuzmenko grew up and played almost all of his hockey in Russia, right? We got him from a professional Russian hockey team from the KHL, right? Well, my understanding is that the KHL plays vastly different than the NHL. Firstly, they play on a bigger ice surface; the KHL game is more open because of such, and I believe they lean towards IHF rules. That is, no fighting, no hitting, and very little checking. Soooooo............

Basically Kuzy's having a rough time adapting to the NHL's faster pace and having to do so on a smaller ice surface. Plus profuse forechecking is a bit of a foreign concept to him......Hmmmmmm....... Well Jeez! It's no wonder he sucks at it, man!!!!!!

I can't imagine the pressure he feels right now, having been benched and healthy scratched because of the lack of that aspect in his game, AND the pressure to score goals. Dude's got a lot on his plate for sure.

As I mentioned earlier somewhere in CFF. I really want him to succeed. He will. 

Edited by Sativika

I am always skeptical of anything an agent - or gm for that matter says.

If the agent just said "Yes- he wants out" it would tank Kuze's value- perhaps to the point the team would say" No point in trading him- might as well just keep the guy and hope for the best"

And if a G.M said 'Yep, we are trying to trade him" it would also tank the asset value.

One way or the other they need to get this figured out quickly; can't have that much money sitting out- it is bad for the strength of the team that is playing, and bad for the future value, if a trade is going to be done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gurn said:

I am always skeptical of anything an agent - or gm for that matter says.

If the agent just said "Yes- he wants out" it would tank Kuze's value- perhaps to the point the team would say" No point in trading him- might as well just keep the guy and hope for the best"

And if a G.M said 'Yep, we are trying to trade him" it would also tank the asset value.

One way or the other they need to get this figured out quickly; can't have that much money sitting out- it is bad for the strength of the team that is playing, and bad for the future value, if a trade is going to be done.

I think you are right. Kuz is not Hogs. Hogs was young enough and waiver exempt at the time PA sent him to Abby to work on his game. Kuz doesn't get that option. We can assume that coaches are working with him while he sits out games. Their read on Kuz might have as much to do with the decision on when he plays or if he is traded than anything else. The impression by RT isn't positive but he doesn't have much option to be otherwise. 

Like you said that is a lot of CAP to be sitting out. PA has to weigh the options and he has many of those. Having Kuz rework his game to fit playoff hockey could take time. If PA sticks with him his options go down. Moving Kuz now gives the returning player time to adjust before playoffs. Delaying might improve the player options as non playoff teams think about next year or desperate teams look for a savior in Kuz. My head hurts. This is why PA makes the big money. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Gets back in the line up

scores 2 early goals! 😊

Finishes game -1 in 7-4 win

not all his fault,

but? 🤔

Was on the ice for 3 of the 4 goals against

lol.. the score and the +/- have a very low correlation. It is not awkard for your team to score 10 goals and a bunch of your players are just +1 or something. Not sure what are people's intention here being so negative about Kuzmenko. Let's say we don't have Kuzmenko, and we try to find a skilled winger who can pot in 30 goals for our top6, there are actually not many players like that in the league. Even if there is, the TDL price is like 1st + 2nd rounder. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. the score and the +/- have a very low correlation. It is not awkard for your team to score 10 goals and a bunch of your players are just +1 or something. Not sure what are people's intention here being so negative about Kuzmenko. Let's say we don't have Kuzmenko, and we try to find a skilled winger who can pot in 30 goals for our top6, there are actually not many players like that in the league. Even if there is, the TDL price is like 1st + 2nd rounder. 

I think the issue with Kuzmenko is his defense. He can't score goals and then be doing his own thing on the ice without playing his defense or being at the right spot on the ice. Everyone reacts to where everyone else is at, and if one person on the ice is at the wrong spot, there's already a systems breakdown. It's chaos after that. So as much as i love Kuzy, he needs to play within the coach's sytem (Tocchet's system), and if he can't or refuses to do that, then the team needs to consider trading him for a player who will play within their system. All on board, can't have anyone doing their own thing on the ice. 

• Like 2