[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

Michael DeRosa Thursday, June 13, 2024

The NHL Entry Draft is rapidly approaching, which means that soon we will see plenty of trades around the league. Because of this, the rumor mill is starting to heat up significantly, and more players are becoming clear trade candidates because of it.

Due to this, in his most recent trade targets board for Daily Faceoff, NHL insider Frank Seravalli listed Vancouver Canucks forward Ilya Mikheyev as one of the NHL's most likely players to get moved this season.

Seravalli reported that the Canucks have been actively shopping Mikheyev since they have been knocked out of the playoffs and also tried to deal him before the deadline. 

There is no question that the Canucks would benefit greatly by moving out Mikheyev's $4.75 million cap hit. They have an array of free agents like Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov, Dakota Joshua, and Filip Hronek who they likely want to keep around. As a result, getting Mikheyev's chunk of change of the books would help their chances on that front. 

Mikheyev, 29, appeared in 78 regular-season games this season for the Canucks, where he had 11 goals to go along with 31 points. This postseason was a nightmare for the 6-foot-2 winger, as he failed to secure a single point in 11 playoff games. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/canucks-rumors-ilya-mikheyev-trade.html

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I hope they learned their lesson with Mikheyev.

For that contract to have value he would have had to play to his absolute ceiling. And even then that’s a fringed second line player. You can’t be paying almost 5 mil for bottom 6 guys.

Was targeting Mikheyev part of a plan to court Kuzmenko? If so that was also short sighted.

I think they were hoping he'd be the top 6 solution. 

The lesson learned is to find guys that have shown a history of durability on top of production in regular season AND playofffs.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For that contract to have value he would have had to play to his absolute ceiling. And even then that’s a fringe second line player. You can’t be paying almost 5 mil for bottom 6 guys.

Was targeting Mikheyev part of a plan to court Kuzmenko? If so that was also short sighted.

Every GM has mistakes. This was their first attempt at free agency with this team and unfortunately Free Agency has more mistakes then wins 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For that contract to have value he would have had to play to his absolute ceiling. And even then that’s a fringe second line player. You can’t be paying almost 5 mil for bottom 6 guys.

Yes, it was the ultimate deciding factor between Edmonton and Vancouver. Kuzy said if they signed Mikheyev, he’d sign as well. 
   Unfortunately we paid for that and the Toronto Hype. 

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think they were hoping he'd be the top 6 solution. 

The lesson learned is to find guys that have shown a history of durability on top of production in regular season AND playofffs.

There was an expectation he would take another step after three years in Toronto and finishing his Leafs tenure potting 20 goals. Everything kind of lined up to him being a speedy top six winger who can maybe pot 25-30 goals playing with the Canucks top six players.

Yes injuries happened and he just never materialized, he remained what he was from those first three seasons, which is maybe topping out at $ 3 million per of a player. Win some you lose some.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mikheyev was signed after a 21 goal season with the Leafs. The thought process was he was in the right age group and he can develop his offensive game along with his blazing speed. The thought process was to build another scoring line with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko as wingers for Petey. They were a good line last season, and they were also really good for the first 2 months of this season until Kuzmenko just stopped scoring. He was also a very good penalty killer with the Leafs and at the time, we needed more good PK players. Unfortunately for him, he got injured in his first pre-season game and played through the first half of last season with the injury before getting shut-down. It's just a very unfortunate situation right from the beginning.

It takes a long time to recover from these injuries. We never got to see him at his best. He had a good start to the season, scored 10 goals in his first 30 or so games. Then he got snake bitten and the longer his goal drought, he lost his confidence. I think a lot of his game was just mental and he needed a bit of a reset. I won't rule out that he would be back scoring 15-20 goals next season putting up 40-45 points playing as a middle 6 winger again.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Interesting that Mikheyev trade chatter is heating up right after Laine announces he wants a trade. Coincidence!?  Yeah, probably. 

A trade centre around Mkheyev and Laine plus other moving parts is a possibility. Columbus save in capspace, and pick up a good versataille forward that can play in their line up. The Canucks pick up a bit of high risk but high reward player. If Laine is in the right headspace, he could easily have a resurgence season like Boeser had last year. Pettersson/Laine + Miller/Boeser is a very good 1 and 2 line combinations.

11 minutes ago, Devron said:

Every GM has mistakes. This was their first attempt at free agency with this team and unfortunately Free Agency has more mistakes then wins 

Yet, this board is flooded with proposals for Jake G.

• Cheers 2

Trade him for a 6th round draft pick at 50% retained.

It's not as good getting rid of him outright. But it does save the team $2.375 million for the next two years.

Even San Jose probably would be ok with that deal.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Devron said:

Even my dumbass realized this was a dumb signing from the outset. We had giant holes on the blueline and they signed a forward for 5mil with zero 60 game seasons and one 20+ goal season at the age of 27. They promptly complained a few months after that they had no cap to add to the blueline. Yeah, cause you spent it on Mikheyev for some stupid reason. Now we'll have to move picks or a good prospect to dump this bum we never should have signed to begin with.

• Cheers 2

There are some teams that really need to hit the floor - Utah 

EF on Marek show saying Utah wants character vets with 2 yrs left on their contract for cheap acquisition price until their kids are ready - milky fits that but many others do too 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Even my dumbass realized this was a dumb signing from the outset. We had giant holes on the blueline and they signed a forward for 5mil with zero 60 game seasons and one 20+ goal season at the age of 27. They promptly complained a few months after that they had no cap to add to the blueline. Yeah, cause you spent it on Mikheyev for some stupid reason. Now we'll have to move picks or a good prospect to dump this bum we never should have signed to begin with.

I think it had a lot to do with getting Kuzmenko to sign here 

Just now, Olli Juolevi said:

But what if it's not? 🤨🤔

I think Laine has so much potential to be one of the best wingers in the league (again), but it's also concerning that he's dealing with some things and missed a lot of games  and I wonder if playing in Canada under the microscope would be good for him or not. A lot of expectations in Vancouver. The Canucks don't need an overpaid, disgruntled player who's not in it to win it. But if Laine found his game again after taking extended leave, that would be huge for the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1