[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

28 minutes ago, RWJC said:

apparently Stephenson is on our radar as plan B if we don’t land Guentzel. I’m down with that. 

I'd be fine with it so long as it's not too long of a contract. I don't think it means a whole lot at this point, but his decline in production this season coupled with being 30 years old creates a bit of hesitancy in me.

37 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No, no you don’t.

Toffoli is good and recent years indicate he’s relatively consistent despite the numerous teams he’s played on, but he’s not a career PPG player. He’s older, he’s slower, and at some point will hit a wall, especially as he’s probably looking for a term deal now that he’s 32. I understand what you’re getting at, but to compare the two in terms of similar production is not a balanced argument. No offense meant. 

Guentzel (career):

520gp 491pts

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/player/jake-guentzel-8477404

Toffoli (career):

812gp 521pts 

https://www.nhl.com/jets/player/tyler-toffoli-8475726

I'd suggest the players might be more similar than the stats indicate.

How many years did Guentzal play on Crosby's line, and who was Tyler playing with?.

I'd still give the nod to Jake as the better player, though.

Personally I'd rathe have neither of those guys, but would lean more to Tyler, as it would be easier to keep the contract length short.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gurn said:

I'd suggest the players might be more similar than the stats indicate.

How many years did Guentzal play on Crosby's line, and who was Tyler playing with?.

I'd still give the nod to Jake as the better player, though.

Personally I'd rathe have neither of those guys, but would lean more to Tyler, as it would be easier to keep the contract length short.

guentzel's ppg went up when he went to carolina. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Thank God, Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Head Monster that none of us are in charge of (i) scouting, (ii) contract negotiations, (iii) extending offers and (iv) signing the checks.

Pundits / insiders creamed themselves gushing about how Honker's next contract was north of $7.5M, 8M, 8.5M, do I have a taker at $9M!!!!! ... and the balloon deflated on that one pretty quick as all scurried to re-write history.

Fascinating conversation regardless on whether you think Gunner will sign for the league minimum or will hold up a $18M AAV contract to play in KHL or General Zeke will sign for $2M plus a lifetime supply of Smoked BC Salmon or will ask for "Be Cheaper to Just Kill Him" money (ala the Last Boy Scout) ... 

Now onto to more important questions: (1) Is Twitter creating a toxic culture or helping us stay connected? .. (2) Should Facebook add a ‘GO FUCK YOURSELF WITH A GARDEN RAKE’ button? ... (3) Is Coca-Cola better consumed orally or through a straw?

Lol that escalated quickly

• Haha 2

Important to note what JR said today that we have 4-5 guys that were in AHL last year that can push for roster spots + Lek could be in the line up

i think the canucks need to find value some value vs. internal promotions and day 5 and onward of UFA. I'm hoping guys like Karlsson, Podkolzin, Bains, Raty, Sasson, McWard, Lek are ready to push for spots.

getting those ELC in the line up will allow the Canucks to target high-end talent.

I'm so glad we don't have Benning here anymore overspending on "veterans" for the bottom 6 and #6 D and in turn restricts our ability to have game changers in the top of our line up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

A sample of what it could look like in a world where Mikheyev stays:

Gotta say I do like what the defence core looks like...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Debrusk

Mikheyev-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Duhaime

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Juulsen

image.thumb.png.b32be16d8b50e7fa9da2d20265cc303c.png

ya not really liking that lineup going into the season.. 1st line is status quo assuming boeser can keep up his production and miller have 0 regression.. both are unlikely they'll prolly have a tiny regression.. debrusk i don't think is the answer.. a career 40 point ish guy and if that doesn't work we are again have a 2nd line that doesn't work.. and the 3rd line is prolly a downgrade to what we have last year

• Like 1

If they can move Mik Im starting to like the idea of re-signing Joshua and having him and Garland on Peteys wing.

Then find a burner or someone like Stephenson to play w Miller/Boeser

6 minutes ago, Goose said:

If they can move Mik Im starting to like the idea of re-signing Joshua and having him and Garland on Peteys wing.

Garland and Joshua are not top six forwards. In a pinch they can play some minutes there, but are bottom six guys. We need to move all of Garland’s cap. Then take some of that saving snd use it to keep Joshua. Joshua can play a heavy bottom six role and PK. Two things Garland can’t. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Goose said:

No thanks. Petey needs high end talent to play with.

2 hours ago, Mac said:

No thanks. Petey needs high end talent to play with.

high end talent means nothing if no one is willing to get the puck or win battles

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

No, no you don’t.

Toffoli is good and recent years indicate he’s relatively consistent despite the numerous teams he’s played on, but he’s not a career PPG player. He’s older, he’s slower, and at some point will hit a wall, especially as he’s probably looking for a term deal now that he’s 32. I understand what you’re getting at, but to compare the two in terms of similar production is not a balanced argument. No offense meant. 

Guentzel (career):

520gp 491pts

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/player/jake-guentzel-8477404

Toffoli (career):

812gp 521pts 

https://www.nhl.com/jets/player/tyler-toffoli-8475726

You're not wrong. I did say similar production.  My thinking is that .maybe committing 4 to 5 mill for 3 years would be a good stop gap while waiting g for the cap and a couple more contracts.  I do t see the need to pay so much on a massive term to a guy until he's 38

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

You're not wrong. I did say similar production.  My thinking is that .maybe committing 4 to 5 mill for 3 years would be a good stop gap while waiting g for the cap and a couple more contracts.  I do t see the need to pay so much on a massive term to a guy until he's 38

I hear ya. It’s a risk.

I look at it this way though…Guentzel as a PPG player is better insurance over the course of a season to keep the team chugging along if one of our F’s starts slumping or is out due to injury. He may cost more, but it’s because he delivers at a steady clip. He’s clutch. 

Toffoli is a great option as a goal scoring W who is a smart player which allows him to compensate for a lack of foot speed, but EP is way faster than him and this team desperately needs a bit more speed. Guentzel at least has the capability of setting up play while also burying goals, and while it’s not widely celebrated, he is very effective defensively too. Some poster here said they had watched a lot of Pens games and noted that JG wasn’t as adept defensively but I beg to differ. I watched a large number of their games during the past few years and he’s a solid two way option as well. He has had to be as Crosby’s linemate because Sid demands that from his wingers. Look at whom he’s played with and why it works. Our best case scenario is to try to replicate the Sid-JG-Rust combo that dominated the league. It’s imperative we find that 3rd piece to that line here if we do indeed sign JG to play with EP.

Anyway, I wanted to find some examples of JG’s defensive smarts but thought it best to just post a quote from article that included Mike Sullivan from Dec 2023 when JG was obviously still a Pen:

“Head coach Mike Sullivan spoke highly of Guentzel’s scoring touch before but called his play this year ‘critical’ to the Penguins success.

“I think Jake just quietly goes about his business every day,” Sullivan said.“He’s been one of our most consistent players on both sides of the puck.”

Sullivan went further on Guentzel’s defensive acumen, saying his offense speaks for itself.

“I think his defensive play flies under the radar,” Sullivan said. “I think he checks well. He has good awareness; he has a defensive conscience when we need him to.”

Overall, you may not think of Guentzel as a top-notch defensive player, but one of the biggest features of most Penguins’ forwards is their ability to play both ends of the rink.

Just looking at the players on the first line it’s pretty evident, Crosby leads the Penguins in takeaways while Bryan Rust has been an important piece to the penalty kill.

Guentzel being able to add his own defensive play only makes that line stronger and one of the big reasons they remain one of the best lines in hockey.

“I can’t say enough about his game,” Sullivan said. “He’s just a real good hockey player that brings a consistent effort every day.”

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/players/jake-guentzel-more-than-scoring-pittsburgh-penguins

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Id like to see Mikheyev  traded to Montreal for Michael Pezzetta

Suter Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Pettersson Guentzel 

Podkolzin Blueger Garland 

Pezzetta Karlsson Lafferty 

Hughes Hronek 
Zedorov Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Mcward 

51 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

I like how this thread turned into another Jake Guentzel thread....

Guess you weren't here when every thread including offtopic ones became a JT Miller thread? lol

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Id like to see Mikheyev  traded to Montreal for Michael Pezzetta

Suter Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Pettersson Guentzel 

Podkolzin Blueger Garland 

Pezzetta Karlsson Lafferty 

Hughes Hronek 
Zedorov Juulsen

Soucy Myers 

Mcward 

Unless Vancouver is retaining 50% I can't see why Montreal would do it.