[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but money talks. 

And I do think there's a chance Utah could be competitive sooner than later if they play their cards right. They're in a unique position with that cap space, their haul of picks, their prospect pool, and some of the young talent already in place on the roster. Get them a good coaching staff and who knows.

Yeah. Utah has the resources to be competitive, and Chicago has Bedard.

I'd pick Utah out of the non-contenders.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but money talks. 

And I do think there's a chance Utah could be competitive sooner than later if they play their cards right. They're in a unique position with that cap space, their haul of picks, their prospect pool, and some of the young talent already in place on the roster. Get them a good coaching staff and who knows.

I guess if Utah threw $10M+ at him.  But $9.5M with a bottom tier team vs $8.75M with a contender?  I'm gonna guess Guentzel takes $750k less to have a better chance at a Cup.  In a perfect world, I bet he'd go back to Pittsburgh for $8.5M over everybody else regardless of money.

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

Yeah. Utah has the resources to be competitive, and Chicago has Bedard.

I'd pick Utah out of the non-contenders.

Utah's also in a position of being a relocation franchise enterting it's first season, they're going to want to have positive results and something to sell the fans. 

Just now, HKSR said:

I guess if Utah threw $10M+ at him.  But $9.5M with a bottom tier team vs $8.75M with a contender?  I'm gonna guess Guentzel takes $750k less to have a better chance at a Cup.  In a perfect world, I bet he'd go back to Pittsburgh for $8.5M over everybody else regardless of money.

Utah will be in tough to grab a divisional spot in their first season, unfortunately for them the top end central teams are kind of monstrous. But as I said, if they're wise with who they bring in and how they play things they could be competitive. Guentzel would also be something to sell to their new fanbase. 

Although I do think there's a chance a Pittsburgh reunion happens, they'd have to ship out Smith somehow though, maybe even someone else. It'd be tight. 

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Maybe

or maybe not.

Better to plan at the current cap, and be happy that it did/does go up; than plan on it going up, and getting screwed if it doesn't.

there really isn't a maybe unless some other global catastrophe happens. it's expected to be the most inflationary period the league has ever seen. 

• ThereItIs 1

I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather see Mikheyev back and given a shot again with Pettersson but not be seen as the duo piece with Pettersson.

Clearly Tocchet likes using duos - Miller and Boeser. Mikheyev should not be the main piece of any line but should be the complementary third man. Should you get Guentzel paired with Pettersson, now I have a lot more confidence in Mikheyev as the third piece to either line to be a good forechecking/two way complementary forward.

I think we see a much better Ilya Mikheyev come training camp.

Rarely do we ever seen a successful agent helping facilitate a deal. At this point no one is willing to take on Mikheyev's money and we dont' seem keen on adding assets to move him.  Even if we move him, we lose his speed, size, and defensive acumen. I think we can rehabilitate his game and get it back on the tracks. He was never going to be a high scoring forward. He never was in Toronto, but when placed in a good spot on the third line with Kampf and Engvall, he thrived bringing speed and tenacity. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather see Mikheyev back and given a shot again with Pettersson but not be seen as the duo piece with Pettersson.

Clearly Tocchet likes using duos - Miller and Boeser. Mikheyev should not be the main piece of any line but should be the complementary third man. Should you get Guentzel paired with Pettersson, now I have a lot more confidence in Mikheyev as the third piece to either line to be a good forechecking/two way complementary forward.

Rarely do we ever seen a successful agent helping facilitate a deal. At this point no one is willing to take on Mikheyev's money and we dont' seem keen on adding assets to move him.  Even if we move him, we lose his speed, size, and defensive acumen. I think we can rehabilitate his game and get it back on the tracks. He was never going to be a high scoring forward. He never was in Toronto, but when placed in a good spot on the third line with Kampf and Engvall, he thrived bringing speed and tenacity. 

the catch then is we need the duo piece for petey

we sorta had it with kuzmenko, his deficiencies on D was an issue though

hard to imagine getting a good duo piece for petey for less than 6m/year which means its going to be pretty tough to get it done with mikheyevs full salary on the books

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Utah , Ducks, Sharks ,    Tons of capspace to fill,  and they don’t seem interested in signing anyone yet.

I keep coming back to Washington..... IF Mik can regain his skating form maybe they can put him with PLD and hope for the best? 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I keep coming back to Washington..... IF Mik can regain his skating form maybe they can put him with PLD and hope for the best? 

Mikheyev for Bear... they have a bit of a logjam of RHD ... Carlson, Jensen, Vanriemsdyk, Bear...

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Bear (Russians and their bears... you know this was meant to be)

Juulsen

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Mikheyev for Bear... they have a bit of a logjam of RHD ... Carlson, Jensen, Vanriemsdyk, Bear...

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

I don't mind this, and then they can pass on Myers and re-sign Zads

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not if it prevents other players from being signed. And there's no guarantee that Guentzel will have chemistry with Pettersson. 

This is one of my biggest issues too. We thought that Mik and Kuz were those guys, then we thought that Lindholm, was that guy. I would hate to spend big bucks and a lot of term for a guy who has no chemistry with Pettersson.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't mind this, and then they can pass on Myers and re-sign Zads

I would rather see Bear back for 1 year than Myers that's for damn sure!!

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't think Mik is a total write off he had a bad year coming back from injury. If he came with his "speed and tenacity" we are probably not  discussing moving him and maybe Pettersson has a better year then he had. 

It's still possible he can bring that to the table if Pettersson is paired with an offensive winger he can gel with. Petey definitely needs those aspects(speed and tenacity) to his line to make him successful. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think there's a chance they may have to just live with the contract, absolutely. What that means is they'd probably have to look at paying someone a lesser cap hit to play with Pettersson, which likely takes Guentzel off the table. But that's fine, there are other forwards out there.

If it doesn't work, well, Mikheyev would probably be easier to move next offseason with a single year remaining. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That would be great, but his 5M cap hit needs to go if we’re wanting to sign Guentzel and Zad or another big D. It’s gotta be Mikheyev or Garland and personally I’d rather keep Garly as a 3rd.

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

That's actually a decent idea. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tas said:

there really isn't a maybe unless some other global catastrophe happens. it's expected to be the most inflationary period the league has ever seen. 

"other global catastrophe'

war expanding in the middle east, and Baltic areas

another freighter turned sideways in the Suez Canal

bird flu

environmental costs rising to the point it breaks many off the fans.

Hope for the best, but don't count on it.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers was a beast in the playoffs.  Bear is still in rehab.  Why would you want Bear over Myers?

Makes no sense. One player is great and wants to be back, the other went for a better payday somewhere else. Bear is the epitome of a middling defenseman.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

"other global catastrophe'

war expanding in the middle east, and Baltic areas

another freighter turned sideways in the Suez Canal

bird flu

environmental costs rising to the point it breaks many off the fans.

Hope for the best, but don't count on it.

and an asteroid could hit at any time, too. 

you can't plan for those things. if NHL teams are hedging their bets, not spending what they can because they're afraid something beyond their control might go wrong, they're working against their own self interest. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers was a beast in the playoffs.  Bear is still in rehab.  Why would you want Bear over Myers?

I don't get the fascination with Bear. He didn't work out the first time he was here and I doubt he would now, especially if he isn't in Washington.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is one of my biggest issues too. We thought that Mik and Kuz were those guys, then we thought that Lindholm, was that guy. I would hate to spend big bucks and a lot of term for a guy who has no chemistry with Pettersson.

I think Pettersson is the common denominator in the equation. He needs to be the straw that stirs the drink. Especially at $11.6M a season. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers is also in a different tier, even as a third pairing D. He's a guy with extensive experience playing top four minutes, which is useful when injuries strike (and they will). It's unlikely we get a better quality third/second pairing tweener for less than Myers would be willing to take. 

Plus, he's a known quantity, and Bear was always more of a third pairing guy at best to begin with. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

and an asteroid could hit at any time, too. 

you can't plan for those things. if NHL teams are hedging their bets, not spending what they can because they're afraid something beyond their control might go wrong, they're working against their own self interest. 

Scared Horror GIF

• Haha 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

Myers is also in a different tier, even as a third pairing D. He's a guy with extensive experience playing top four minutes, which is useful when injuries strike (and they will). It's unlikely we get a better quality third/second pairing tweener for less than Myers would be willing to take. 

Plus, he's a known quantity, and Bear was always more of a third pairing guy at best to begin with. 

And Myers stature comes in handy when things get physical.

• Upvote 1