[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

43 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Nope, if we own his rights, it's all good...if we throw a 4th or 5th round pick at them, they would likely take that, but I can't see doing that unless we are already talking and there's a general agreement on the contract.

Nope. The player had to have been on our reserve list as of the trade deadline. A sign and trade is the only way we could get him at 8 years.

Screenshot_20240620_124628_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

The Canucks will probably have to add a 2nd round pick at least or take back a similar contract.

Everyone said that about Beauvillier too.

Mikheyev has an extra year but he’s just as good as Beau was. Maybe a team that is having a hard time attracting free agents takes a gamble on him for a mid round pick.

Lets see how the market develops over the next few weeks.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Everyone said that about Beauvillier too.

Mikheyev has an extra year but he’s just as good as Beau was. Maybe a team that is having a hard time attracting free agents takes a gamble on him for a mid round pick.

Lets see how the market develops over the next few weeks.

Mikheyev has an extra year on his contract, Beauvillier did not.

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think it will come out just under $9M.

It’s been reported that he’s looking for at least 65 million. I don’t see that scenario unless we make a trade with Carolina before free agency and he takes a discount.

13 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

Hypothetically: Can we send Miky to a team with tons of cap space like SJS, CHI or LAK for a 6th or 7th and then package that with a 5th for Gunners rights? I know CAR wants a mid-round pick for his rights so I would think a 5/6th would get it done. He would actually fit well in a system like LAK. 

Yes, and mostly no. Hypothetically anyone with cap can take him. But the whole idea of weaponizing cap is to weasel higher picks out of cap strapped teams. They are going to want a 2nd or at least a 3rd and a C grade prospect. Also, something we don't really talk about is Mikheyev has a 12 team no trade list. Not hard to just slap most Canadian teams and the bottom feeders onto that list. IE the teams with cap space.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which I clearly stated.

I’m hoping like everyone else that a team trades for him but it’s not looking good or realistic especially with the agent getting involved. Seen this before with Boeser and Garland.

It’s looking like this is going to be a trade where we take back a similar contract. I think it will be someone like Smith from the Penguins. Or he’s on this roster to start the season.

Edited by J-23

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

I’m hoping like everyone else that a team trades for him but it’s not looking good or realistic especially with the agent getting involved. Seen this before with Boeser and Garland.

It’s looking like this is going to be a trade where we take back a similar contract. I think it will be someone like Smith from the Penguins. Or he’s on this roster to start the season.

there might be a move to swap him 1:1 for an overpaid defenseman (a 3rd pair D paid like a 2nd pair D or something)

who that is though i have no clue

8 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yes, and mostly no. Hypothetically anyone with cap can take him. But the whole idea of weaponizing cap is to weasel higher picks out of cap strapped teams. They are going to want a 2nd or at least a 3rd and a C grade prospect. Also, something we don't really talk about is Mikheyev has a 12 team no trade list. Not hard to just slap most Canadian teams and the bottom feeders onto that list. IE the teams with cap space.

There is the potential "Goodrow" waivers workaround route too, but I think NYR and SJS had a handshake agreement where we may see NYR do another solid for SJS in return. 

6 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

there might be a move to swap him 1:1 for an overpaid defenseman (a 3rd pair D paid like a 2nd pair D or something)

who that is though i have no clue

Parayko comes to mind, but STL would have to retain about $1.5-2 per year (so 6.5 to 4.5) along with taking Mikys full cap since CP is signed through 29/30. He would be another BIG dman with some snarl, but he is losing a step or ten and he only had 26P in 82 games last season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It seems that GM Patrick Allvin and AGM Don Milstein managed to move Kuz Missile to Calgary when he had them on his no-trade-list. I expect PA / DM / JR to work a favorable agreement satisfying everyone's interest without shipping off valuable assets as a sweetener.

23 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It’s been reported that he’s looking for at least 65 million. I don’t see that scenario unless we make a trade with Carolina before free agency and he takes a discount.

It was reported that Petey's deal was gonna start with a 12... and Hronek's with an 8.  

We will see what happens.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It was reported that Petey's deal was gonna start with a 12... and Hronek's with an 8.  

We will see what happens.

RFA’s.

Guentzel is going into a free agency year where the cap is going up. He is going to get paid, a lot of teams interested.

10 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

It seems that GM Patrick Allvin and AGM Don Milstein managed to move Kuz Missile to Calgary when he had them on his no-trade-list. I expect PA / DM / JR to work a favorable agreement satisfying everyone's interest without shipping off valuable assets as a sweetener.

It’s not the no trade clause that’s the issue we are discussing, it’s potentially adding something like a 2nd round pick to trade him.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, J-23 said:

i’m hoping like everyone else that a team trades for him but it’s not looking good or realistic especially with the agent getting involved. Seen this before with Boeser and Garland

how'd it work out for kuzmenko, who just so happens to share the same agent?

Just now, tas said:

how'd it work out for kuzmenko, who just so happens to share the same agent?

Not the same situation. We added a 1st, Hunter and two additional assets with Kuzmenko. That’s kind of a big factor….

13 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Maybe Calgary is a good fit for Mik as well. They're rebuilding and have tonnes of picks, so maybe Mik for a 3rd would work for them.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It’s not the no trade clause that’s the issue we are discussing, it’s potentially adding something like a 2nd round pick to trade him.

Yes, I understood that. For clarity, I would bet a reasonable amount of beer that IF Mik is moved then it will not have either a valuable asset like a 2nd round pick or 50% retained as part of the deal. Call me PollyAnna and hand me some rose-colored glasses but I would hazard a guess (and some more beer) that Mik plus the well travelled future considerations gets packaged with a small-ish contract coming back - that will get moved again.

Just my 2 cents. PA / JR have shown to be mostly shrewd in their dealings ... time will tell of course.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Not the same situation. We added a 1st, Hunter and two additional assets with Kuzmenko. That’s kind of a big factor….

sure, in order to land the largest deadline asset available. what would it take to just come away with nothing?

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about the sweetener being 50% retained?

$2.375 Million savings, and I'm sure someone will take him for $2.375 for two seasons.

That way we keep our picks, and still save on the cap.

OEL penalty doubles next year so this kind of makes it a moot point for the 2025-2026 season, especially if we want to re-sign Boeser" which will likely cover the cap increase.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about the sweetener being 50% retained?

$2.375 Million savings, and I'm sure someone will take him for $2.375 for two seasons.

That way we keep our picks, and still save on the cap.

You could get his production for a league minimum though, unfortunately it’s either going to be an exchange of poop, buyout or sweetener 

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yes, I understood that. For clarity, I would bet a reasonable amount of beer that IF Mik is moved then it will not have either a valuable asset like a 2nd round pick or 50% retained as part of the deal. Call me PollyAnna and hand me some rose-colored glasses but I would hazard a guess (and some more beer) that Mik plus the well travelled future considerations gets packaged with a small-ish contract coming back - that will get moved again.

Just my 2 cents. PA / JR have shown to be mostly shrewd in their dealings ... time will tell of course.

I agree it will be something like that I think but maybe more similar to Mikheyev’s contract.

We need a Pearson for Desmith like trade.

But like I said earlier, I’m hopeful like everyone else that some team just takes the chance.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

RFA’s.

Guentzel is going into a free agency year where the cap is going up. He is going to get paid, a lot of teams interested.

Doesn't matter.  What I was referring to was what media states vs what the reality is.

Yes, Guentzel is gonna get paid.  He is gonna get a premium because he will be the top dog on the market.  In reality, he is about a PPG player.  He's not the type of player that puts up 90 to 100 points.  He's more of a 75 to 85 point player which in normal circumstances would have him around the $8M mark.  I picture a $500k to $1M premium on him, so I think he will land in and around $9M, but with his age, and with the NMC/NTCs that he will likely command, I see him landing with a deal just under $9M. 

I use JT Miller and Mika Zibanejad as examples.  Both were UFA status.  JT and Mika were both 28yo at the time of signing.  Jake will be a year older at 29. 

JT signed for $8M AAV, Mika signed for $8.5M AAV. 

The likelihood is Jake will sign for a bit more than JT and Mika simply because of the rising cap, but he's also a year older, which makes a difference when he will be STARTING his next contract at 30yo. 

Based on those comparables above, I can't see Guentzel pushing over $9M.