[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

11 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You could get his production for a league minimum though, unfortunately it’s either going to be an exchange of poop, buyout or sweetener 

They won't move him if it has to bring back a bad contract. The idea is to clear some cap and be better positioned to add to the team or they will sit tight and hope he plays better next year not in a top six role. I would not worry about a sweetener or bad contract in return, that's not what the team is doing.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

or they will sit tight and hope he plays better next year

Not a bad idea. It worked with Boeser and Garland.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone said that about Beauvillier too.

Mikheyev has an extra year but he’s just as good as Beau was. Maybe a team that is having a hard time attracting free agents takes a gamble on him for a mid round pick.

Lets see how the market develops over the next few weeks.

SJS,CBH,CBJ might bite

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

it's a viable plan b or c, but plan a has to be doing everything possible to upgrade the top 6. 

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

he produced his career averages last season anyways, he didnt hurt the team overall except game 7 ffs lol, people didn't like the goal scoring droughts sure, understandable. The real concern and PA made mention of this in his year end presser is Mikheyev should not have been relied upon in a top six role. So he can probably succeed in the third line role where yes people will scream someone earning near 5m cannot play third line meanwhile Garland at a higher cap does so in beast-mode.

I think the club is comfortable with him returning in a lesser role, a position he can succeed in.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

They won't move him if it has to bring back a bad contract. The idea is to clear some cap and be better positioned to add to the team or they will sit tight and hope he plays better next year not in a top six role. I would not worry about a sweetener or bad contract in return, that's not what the team is doing.

A sample of what it could look like in a world where Mikheyev stays:

Gotta say I do like what the defence core looks like...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Debrusk

Mikheyev-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Duhaime

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Juulsen

image.thumb.png.b32be16d8b50e7fa9da2d20265cc303c.png

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Nope. The player had to have been on our reserve list as of the trade deadline. A sign and trade is the only way we could get him at 8 years.

Screenshot_20240620_124628_Chrome.jpg

Yes, but I believe if they trade his rights, it novates the specific section that you have highlighted to the receiving team. I "could" be wrong about that, but I believe its a loophole. 

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A sample of what it could look like in a world where Mikheyev stays:

Gotta say I do like what the defence core looks like...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Debrusk

Mikheyev-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Duhaime

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Hakanpaa

Juulsen

image.thumb.png.b32be16d8b50e7fa9da2d20265cc303c.png

Zadorov and Hakanpaa would be terrifying to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Report: Canucks' Mikheyev granted permission to seek trade

According to Rick Dhaliwal of Chek News, the winger's agent, Dan Milstein, has been granted permission by the Canucks to help facilitate a trade.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-canucks-mikheyev-granted-permission-to-seek-trade/

Sweet- there goes his 12 team no trade clause- unless they allow him to keep it, but still trade him?

Which would be stupid- if the man wants out he should have to be willing to go to any team.

To counter  'losing'  no trade clauses- any team that asks a player to waive his protection clauses should have to pay the player a severance of 3 to 5 times his annual cap hit.

Put this clause/idea into the next CBA- or sooner if both sides agree.

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I disagree. I voted yes. 

There is no other UFA available that fills our need more than JG. 

"I want us to get a legit winger for Pettersson but I don't want to pay the price it'll take to get one." That's all I hear when I see people say stuff like they don't want to pay Guentzel. Again though I don't think he'll cost $9.5M or more.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Pears said:

"I want us to get a legit winger for Pettersson but I don't want to pay the price it'll take to get one." That's all I hear when I see people say stuff like they don't want to pay Guentzel. Again though I don't think he'll cost $9.5M or more.

Especially 9 plus million for a 30 year old.  We'd get similar production with Tyler Toffoli on shorter term and half the money.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone said that about Beauvillier too.

Mikheyev has an extra year but he’s just as good as Beau was. Maybe a team that is having a hard time attracting free agents takes a gamble on him for a mid round pick.

Lets see how the market develops over the next few weeks.

the difference is beauvillier isn't coming off a 1 goal in 50+ games pace.. he had 18 goal the previous season and 8 points in 22 games in a non offensive role.. mikheyev? 11 points in 44 games + 0 in another 11 playoff game? not even remotely comparable in terms of production on top of another extra year at a higher cap hit than beauvillier 

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

I disagree. I voted yes. 

There is no other UFA available that fills our need more than JG. 

First define needs and second if Gunner is priced too high then Toffoli on a medium-term sub-$4M contract could / would bridge the gap ... I am reiterating what has already been beaten to death many times over at the cost of quite a few broken keyboards so will not expand further.

I trust in Management, they will get it done to bring us the Cup next year. GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by Rocket-68

52 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Especially 9 plus million for a 30 year old.  We'd get similar production with Tyler Toffoli on shorter term and half the money.  

No, no you don’t.

Toffoli is good and recent years indicate he’s relatively consistent despite the numerous teams he’s played on, but he’s not a career PPG player. He’s older, he’s slower, and at some point will hit a wall, especially as he’s probably looking for a term deal now that he’s 32. I understand what you’re getting at, but to compare the two in terms of similar production is not a balanced argument. No offense meant. 

Guentzel (career):

520gp 491pts

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/player/jake-guentzel-8477404

Toffoli (career):

812gp 521pts 

https://www.nhl.com/jets/player/tyler-toffoli-8475726

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

First define needs and second if Gunner is priced too high then Toffoli on a medium-term sub-$4M contract could / would bridge the gap ... I am reiterating what has already been beaten to death many times over at the cost of quite a few broken keyboards so will not expand further.

I trust in Management, they will get it done to bring us the Cup next year. GO CANUCKS GO!

Toffoli put up 55pts this past year.  I'd be surprised if he comes in under $5M, let alone under $4M.

A lot of these alternatives over Guentzel are still quite pricey... guys like Stephenson, Arvidsson, Monahan, etc will all be pushing $6M AAV. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Toffoli put up 55pts this past year.  I'd be surprised if he comes in under $5M, let alone under $4M.

A lot of these alternatives over Guentzel are still quite pricey... guys like Stephenson, Arvidsson, Monahan, etc will all be pushing $6M AAV. 

apparently Stephenson is on our radar as plan B if we don’t land Guentzel. I’m down with that. 

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No, no you don’t.

Toffoli is good and recent years indicate he’s relatively consistent despite the numerous teams he’s played on, but he’s not a career PPG player. He’s older, he’s slower, and at some point will hit a wall, especially as he’s probably looking for a term deal now that he’s 32. I understand what you’re getting at, but to compare the two in terms of similar production is not a balanced argument. No offense meant. 

Guentzel (career):

520gp 491pts

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/player/jake-guentzel-8477404

Toffoli (career):

812gp 521pts 

https://www.nhl.com/jets/player/tyler-toffoli-8475726

if you trim down toffoli's career to just the years since guentzel has been in the league (2016/17-), he's 582gp 192g 380pts.

toffoli:      582 | 192 | 380

guentzel: 520 | 227 | 491

and since 2019/20:

toffoli:      355 | 139 | 265

guentzel: 316 | 149 | 334

not my definition of "similar production".

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1