[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

“Mikheyev had a down season and his worst since 2020-21 with the Toronto Maple Leafs before he got a big contract. This was his second season in Vancouver after signing a four-year, $4.75 million AAV deal. The 29-year-old winger scored 11 goals and 31 points in 78 games.

To make matters worse, he went scoreless in 11 postseason games and that's not the first time in his career he had disappeared in the playoffs when his team made it. Mikheyev has 30 playoff games across four seasons and has only produced points in one of those years (not with the Canucks).”

We need guys who turn it up a notch in the playoffs, not fade. I’d imagine after giving him his chance to bounce back a bit, this bit above is likely the nail in the coffin for Mik’s tenure here. 

I'm going to predict that the attempts to trade Mikheyev will end as soon as the first buyout window opens a few days ahead of free agency. It sucks to have to do it, but for this summer, it opens up another 3.6 million in cap space that we need to bring in guys who can contribute NOW.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Guess you weren't here when every thread including offtopic ones became a JT Miller thread? lol

Oh I was. It just continues to amaze me how quickly threads become detailed in this forum. Love the chaos though

16 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Oh I was. It just continues to amaze me how quickly threads become detailed in this forum. Love the chaos though

In a way, its all relative at this time of year given the expected amount of roster turnover 

13 hours ago, RWJC said:

I hear ya. It’s a risk.

I look at it this way though…Guentzel as a PPG player is better insurance over the course of a season to keep the team chugging along if one of our F’s starts slumping or is out due to injury. He may cost more, but it’s because he delivers at a steady clip. He’s clutch. 

Toffoli is a great option as a goal scoring W who is a smart player which allows him to compensate for a lack of foot speed, but EP is way faster than him and this team desperately needs a bit more speed. Guentzel at least has the capability of setting up play while also burying goals, and while it’s not widely celebrated, he is very effective defensively too. Some poster here said they had watched a lot of Pens games and noted that JG wasn’t as adept defensively but I beg to differ. I watched a large number of their games during the past few years and he’s a solid two way option as well. He has had to be as Crosby’s linemate because Sid demands that from his wingers. Look at whom he’s played with and why it works. Our best case scenario is to try to replicate the Sid-JG-Rust combo that dominated the league. It’s imperative we find that 3rd piece to that line here if we do indeed sign JG to play with EP.

Anyway, I wanted to find some examples of JG’s defensive smarts but thought it best to just post a quote from article that included Mike Sullivan from Dec 2023 when JG was obviously still a Pen:

“Head coach Mike Sullivan spoke highly of Guentzel’s scoring touch before but called his play this year ‘critical’ to the Penguins success.

“I think Jake just quietly goes about his business every day,” Sullivan said.“He’s been one of our most consistent players on both sides of the puck.”

Sullivan went further on Guentzel’s defensive acumen, saying his offense speaks for itself.

“I think his defensive play flies under the radar,” Sullivan said. “I think he checks well. He has good awareness; he has a defensive conscience when we need him to.”

Overall, you may not think of Guentzel as a top-notch defensive player, but one of the biggest features of most Penguins’ forwards is their ability to play both ends of the rink.

Just looking at the players on the first line it’s pretty evident, Crosby leads the Penguins in takeaways while Bryan Rust has been an important piece to the penalty kill.

Guentzel being able to add his own defensive play only makes that line stronger and one of the big reasons they remain one of the best lines in hockey.

“I can’t say enough about his game,” Sullivan said. “He’s just a real good hockey player that brings a consistent effort every day.”

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/players/jake-guentzel-more-than-scoring-pittsburgh-penguins

Well said.  I also think Toffoli is a true play driver.  Petey so far has shown he might need that on his line to succeed.

• Cheers 2

I noticed that when other teams lowball our higher salary trade options, Allvin and co. give that players agent the right to seek a deal on their own. Boeser, Garland, and now Mikheyev. I wonder if the teams trying to squeeze us regret not paying the piper for Boeser and Garland?

3 hours ago, Beni said:

Really hope they can move on from Mik without major cost. He hasn't panned out at all here 

If they could retain say, 1 million and give up a 4th or 5th rounder in order to create the space necessary to sign Guentzel and Zadorov, in my mind, that's kind of like giving up a late draft pick to get 2 high 1st rounders.

18 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I heard myself say that Mikheyev's knee is acting up and he might have to go on LTIR until next season's Playoffs.

Yep just gotta use Golden Knights guy…

season 4 doctor GIF

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I heard myself say that Mikheyev's knee is acting up and he might have to go on LTIR until next season's Playoffs.

I saw him at YVR boarding Aquaman’s PJ to Robidas Island, 🏝️ I heard it’s spectacular this time of year 

• Haha 2

Personally I don't think Mikheyev will be as much of a burden as many are predicting. He'll have the entire off season to train instead of recovering for most of it.

We do need to find more scoring but we also have to be able to have a reasonable pk. We saw how a bad pk can sink a team in the season before last.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not super pessimistic about players. To the contrary, I will defend mediocre players to no end, and only years later realize how mediocre they really were.

But Mikheyev, really, really needs to go. It baffles me how many people keep drafting lineups with him in it, or predict a bounce back.

A bounce back from what? We signed him expecting growth from his Toronto days, and I think he failed that, barring some minor hot streaks. The guy had 1 point in his last 61 games with us. 1 point. In 61 games.

If they can't offload him by attaching a draft pick, they need to take a serious look at buying him out. He has not worked out. We're not a bubble playoff team who have the luxury of sitting and waiting to see if a guy with such a big cap hit is not a total waste.

• Cheers 2

I posted in several threads about it, but with Mikheyev's production around 30 points and his defensive abilities, he's worth about $3.5M.

Retaining $1.25m to $1.5M would mean a team could get full value in him as a player.  This also helps Vancouver as it is only 2 years of dead cap instead of 4, and the 2nd year of dead cap would be lower than a buyout.  This is important because the 2nd year is the 1st of the 2 big dead cap years from OEL's buyout.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I posted in several threads about it, but with Mikheyev's production around 30 points and his defensive abilities, he's worth about $3.5M.

Retaining $1.25m to $1.5M would mean a team could get full value in him as a player.  This also helps Vancouver as it is only 2 years of dead cap instead of 4, and the 2nd year of dead cap would be lower than a buyout.  This is important because the 2nd year is the 1st of the 2 big dead cap years from OEL's buyout.

Or he can meet Mr Tire iron and we get instant cap relief,lol

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I'm not super pessimistic about players. To the contrary, I will defend mediocre players to no end, and only years later realize how mediocre they really were.

But Mikheyev, really, really needs to go. It baffles me how many people keep drafting lineups with him in it, or predict a bounce back.

A bounce back from what? We signed him expecting growth from his Toronto days, and I think he failed that, barring some minor hot streaks. The guy had 1 point in his last 61 games with us. 1 point. In 61 games.

If they can't offload him by attaching a draft pick, they need to take a serious look at buying him out. He has not worked out. We're not a bubble playoff team who have the luxury of sitting and waiting to see if a guy with such a big cap hit is not a total waste.

This is why I think any proposals of moving Garland instead of him are ridiculous. we're division champs in our competitive window we're done moving on from players that are good and fit in the lineup we need to shed dead weight more than anything, and 1 point in 61 games is mind numbingly dead weight. 

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is why I think any proposals of moving Garland instead of him are ridiculous. we're division champs in our competitive window we're done moving on from players that are good and fit in the lineup we need to shed dead weight more than anything, and 1 point in 61 games is mind numbingly dead weight. 

Problem is who has a market, if I am calling saying hey you want my $5M winger who had 1 goal in 60+ games I expect to get hung up on.
Also, Garland sucked the year before and we don’t know how much of his success was chemistry and room created by Dak.  That line was magic this year but it isn’t likely going to be intact next. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem is who has a market, if I am calling saying hey you want my $5M winger who had 1 goal in 60+ games I expect to get hung up on.
Also, Garland sucked the year before and we don’t know how much of his success was chemistry and room created by Dak.  That line was magic this year but it isn’t likely going to be intact next. 

Not every team is looking for offensive improvement he's still good defensively. we need to improve or top 6 scoring depth, he's expendable. 

Also Garland has had 52, 46 and 47 Points here 47 was this season. And 2 of those seasons with identical production were on non playoff teams.  

19 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I noticed that when other teams lowball our higher salary trade options, Allvin and co. give that players agent the right to seek a deal on their own. Boeser, Garland, and now Mikheyev. I wonder if the teams trying to squeeze us regret not paying the piper for Boeser and Garland?

What I've found amusing about the whole situation, is the players we couldn't give away or find a fair trade for (Boeser, Garland),

bounced back and had great years and now are viewed as untouchable by many. Some teams must be kicking themselves. LOL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Garland had 47 points last season and the season before when you say he "sucked" he had 46 points. That must have been a really big point!!!

6 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Garland had 47 points last season and the season before when you say he "sucked" he had 46 points. That must have been a really big point!!!

I'm fairly ambivalent about garland's fate, but in fairness to him, after a slight slow start out of the gate this year, he was snakebite offensively for quite awhile while playing good hockey and driving his line before the pucks started going in for them.  

Edited by tas