[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

27 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Garland had 47 points last season and the season before when you say he "sucked" he had 46 points. That must have been a really big point!!!

Points are the only metric that matters hey. 
All year long we wondered where the angry elf went. We had contented disengaged elf with big contractitis.  
I worry that it is Joshua who drug him back into the fight and with him likely going we are back to happy disengaged elf. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I'm not super pessimistic about players. To the contrary, I will defend mediocre players to no end, and only years later realize how mediocre they really were.

But Mikheyev, really, really needs to go. It baffles me how many people keep drafting lineups with him in it, or predict a bounce back.

A bounce back from what? We signed him expecting growth from his Toronto days, and I think he failed that, barring some minor hot streaks. The guy had 1 point in his last 61 games with us. 1 point. In 61 games.

If they can't offload him by attaching a draft pick, they need to take a serious look at buying him out. He has not worked out. We're not a bubble playoff team who have the luxury of sitting and waiting to see if a guy with such a big cap hit is not a total waste.

A bounce back from knee surgery obviously.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev was a dominant line. If we can get Guentzel on a reasonable contract Guentzel Pettersson Mikheyev might work. 

Garland hasn't clicked in our top six. If we shop only Mikheyev, that puts us in an unfavourable position. I like Garland but the business side of hockey forces unpopular decisions sometimes.

• Cheers 2

On 6/21/2024 at 10:57 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to predict that the attempts to trade Mikheyev will end as soon as the first buyout window opens a few days ahead of free agency. It sucks to have to do it, but for this summer, it opens up another 3.6 million in cap space that we need to bring in guys who can contribute NOW.

If nothing else mcdick has bought us an extra couple of days before the buyout window begins to try to move Mik.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Problem is who has a market, if I am calling saying hey you want my $5M winger who had 1 goal in 60+ games I expect to get hung up on.
Also, Garland sucked the year before and we don’t know how much of his success was chemistry and room created by Dak.  That line was magic this year but it isn’t likely going to be intact next. 

Garlands point production has been almost identical for the last 3 years within a couple goals or 4-5 points.  Right around 20 goals and 50 points every year. In fact he has been almost exactly that points pace for the last 5 years going back to Arizona, with a couple years being slightly better.. he is remarkably consistent while never having really good linemates or top pp time. He would probably be a consistent 70+ point player if he was in the top 6 full time and played pp1 minutes. 

I'd much rather try him in the top 6 again this year than trade him. Leave the 3rd line wings available for some younger guys or a good value summer pickup. Cycle Garland with Suter and Hogs depending on how they are playing. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

A bounce back from knee surgery obviously.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev was a dominant line. If we can get Guentzel on a reasonable contract Guentzel Pettersson Mikheyev might work. 

Garland hasn't clicked in our top six. If we shop only Mikheyev, that puts us in an unfavourable position. I like Garland but the business side of hockey forces unpopular decisions sometimes.

Garland needs a shoot first C (ideally with size and/or a big winger like Joshua) that he can play-make for. Was a good fit with Horvat in our top 6 for that very reason. But he needs the puck, as do Petey and Miller. Hence no fit. 

I'm long on record that while he's a VERY good player and was clearly the motor for that 3rd line this past season, he IS an expensive luxury on our 3rd line. If moving Garland means we can add Guentzel and/or retain Zadorov and add say Tanev....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Garland needs a shoot first C (ideally with size and/or a big winger like Joshua) that he can play-make for. Was a good fit with Horvat in our top 6 for that very reason.

That could be a good selling feature on UFA's (if Joshua leaves). Come in on a team friendly deal, let Garland turn you into a tap in machine and then cash in on the open market next season.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Why are all the adds on this site of women farting?

NVM seems appropriate . 

IMG_4334.jpeg
Ok it’s not just me seeing these then, lol.

Edited by arsenalian
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I see lots of chatter that they are desperate to trade him, but I haven’t seen any chatter that anybody wants him or what sweetener another team is requesting. Anybody heard of any interest out there?

I heard about two weeks ago that Pittsburgh was willing to take him on if we throw in Lekkerimaki or Hoglander. 

I’d also heard that San Jose might be interested if we added Aatu Raty. 

Haven’t heard it from any of the main guys though… Friedman, Seravelli, Marek, Mackenzie or Dreger. Until then it’s just a hot take imo. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I heard about two weeks ago that Pittsburgh was willing to take him on if we throw in Lekkerimaki or Hoglander

I’d also heard that San Jose might be interested if we added Aatu Raty

Haven’t heard it from any of the main guys though… Friedman, Seravelli, Marek, Mackenzie or Dreger. Until then it’s just a hot take imo. 

thats nuts. A buyout is much preferable to that. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I heard about two weeks ago that Pittsburgh was willing to take him on if we throw in Lekkerimaki or Hoglander. 

No thank you.

Some teams just shoot themselves in the foot with their greed.

Nonuts demands salary retention when the trade deadline was about to close. The Luongo deal is scuttled and it's too late to circle back to other teams that were interested. A top end goalie might have made a difference for them.

Dallas low balls us on Hamhuis and the deal is scuttled. He might have been enough depth on D to push them through.

Teams could have had Boeser and Garland for minimal trade value but tried to squeeze us instead.

It's well known that complete recovery from Mikheyev's type of surgery takes up to a year or so. Teams are trying to squeeze us. Hopefully there's at least one GM that's not too greedy to see an opportunity for improvement with minimal investment.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

No thanks. I'll pass. 

On 6/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, Northern_Nuck said:

I stand by my prediction that we announce his buyout as soon as the window opens, Wed or Thursday I believe. That will give us another 3.6 million to spend this off season. 

I can't see Canucks doing what it would take to trade him. Even if we retained 1.5 million, he's still overpaid on what he delivered this year and in the playoffs.

• ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I stand by my prediction that we announce his buyout as soon as the window opens, Wed or Thursday I believe. That will give us another 3.6 million to spend this off season. 

I can't see Canucks doing what it would take to trade him. Even if we retained 1.5 million, he's still overpaid on what he delivered this year and in the playoffs.

Retention of $1.5M has him down to $3.25M.  He put up 30+ points this year and plays regularly on the PK.  That's pretty close to what market value is.  He's also a prime candidate to bounce back to a 40 point guy.  He had a 7.5% shooting percentage this year.  The 2nd lowest in his career.  He has averaged around 14% each of the past 2 seasons before this one. 

I honestly think with a retention in the $1M to $1.5M range, we will be able to unload him for a very minimal cost.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Retention of $1.5M has him down to $3.25M.  He put up 30+ points this year and plays regularly on the PK.  That's pretty close to what market value is.  He's also a prime candidate to bounce back to a 40 point guy.  He had a 7.5% shooting percentage this year.  The 2nd lowest in his career.  He has averaged around 14% each of the past 2 seasons before this one. 

I honestly think with a retention in the $1M to $1.5M range, we will be able to unload him for a very minimal cost.

I hope you're right, I would hate for Canuck fans to have to keep him locked in a dungeon somewhere, taking turns feeding him until his contract expired...

😉

But, we would NEVER really do that, right???

Episode 4 Dungeon GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I could see it too, but then with the 7 million cap penalty coming up the next couple years, I could see us flipping Boeser at the draft or the trade deadline this year.

5 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I could see it too, but then with the 7 million cap penalty coming up the next couple years, I could see us flipping Boeser at the draft or the trade deadline this year.

Certainly not this upcoming draft?

If so, highly doubt that’s a consideration at all 

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

lots on 650

- this means supposedly they cannot move the money out they want to and then Joshua is gone

- canucks have called on John Marino, 650 speculated on what NJD needs they questioned Hoglander, NJD rumoured to be signing Pesce, they have Hamilton and Simon Nemec...Marino odd man out, looking at their line up - they actually lack LW.. I wonder about PODZ+ Raty+? they have over 15+ in cap, what about Podz + Milky + Raty? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1