[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

well they are shedding caps by letting lindholm joshua go.. i don't see zadorov being re-signed if they can't move mikheyev by the draft.. he'll prolly be one of those day 1 signings so i doubt we'll have a chance to circle back if plan a b c etc doesn't work out.. at this point i think they are all in on guentzel as plan A and then work their way down

Theoretically we could fit both. But it pretty much means near league min guys pretty much everywhere else we have holes.

There has to be more urgency to move this guy. We're a good team that cannot afford to be held back. 

I will be absolutely chapped if Zadorov is signed elsewhere for a contact we easily could have managed.

Edited by nergish

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

There has to be more urgency to move this guy. We're a good team that cannot afford to be held back. 

I will be absolutely chapped if Zadorov is signed elsewhere for a contact we easily could have managed.

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

We could lose Zads and Joshua because of milky

Pretty sure it's just Joshua.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

We aren’t dumping 2x5 of “half a dozen points in the last 60 games” Mikheyev without serious sweeteners + cap retention. 

For a guy who’s as likely for a bounce back as anyone, it makes sense to hang on to him and, at worst, you’re paying to get off of one year instead of two.

I think we still have room to sign Zadorov (5.5?), one of Debrusk(5m) or Toffoli (4m)

(preferably Debrusk)

and another Dman with 5m remaining ?

im probably off on the Cap,

but close .

Another Dman that is UFA that hasn’t been talked about ,  that maybe persuaded is :

Shane Gostisbehere 31 yrs RH/LH

played :

get this,. 81 games / 56 points ..  was 4.125m

I thought he was retiring ?!? Lol

im sure Detroit will try to lock him in for a bit but,.   It’s Detroit .

10 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

We could lose Zads and Joshua because of milky

pretty sure Joshua will listen to his hometown team of Detroit once UFA,

it may be his last contract.  And I’m sure he grew up dreaming of wearing a Wings Jersey one day.

I think we hear about Zadorov soon.  Feels like the Canucks will sit on Mihkeyev for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think we still have room to sign Zadorov (5.5?), one of Debrusk(5m) or Toffoli (4m)

(preferably Debrusk)

and another Dman with 5m remaining ?

im probably off on the Cap,

but close .

Another Dman that is UFA that hasn’t been talked about ,  that maybe persuaded is :

Shane Gostisbehere 31 yrs RH/LH

played :

get this,. 81 games / 56 points ..  was 4.125m

I thought he was retiring ?!? Lol

im sure Detroit will try to lock him in for a bit but,.   It’s Detroit .

to add another D man to the list of UFA.

Dimitri Kulikov ( the one we just watched)

33yrs 76gp 21 pts …. 1 meelion dollars 

He skates well!!

and he speaks Russian lol !

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Marino could likely play with Hughes though.  Frees up Hronek for another pairing.

Hughes-Marino

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Juulsen

McWard-Friedman

If we splash out for Zadorov and Marino it probably doesn’t leave enough cap space for Myers which isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Not a bad looking D.  You just have to hope a couple of kids on the farm are ready for some spot duty during injury time.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think it does to Duke.

Injured 2 seasons with us    :  

1st.  46 gp - 28 pts

2nd  78 gp.- 31 pts

battling injuries he’s “roughly” a .5ppg player..   I’d give it the Summer for him to mentally and physically reset ,.  I’m sure the frustration must drive him to be the best that he can.    
Let him play and see where we’re at before Christmas.?

I think that’s fair,.    If he gets his speed ,  and some puck luck back he’s an asset.

Yeah!  The irony is, if we bend backwards to move Mikheyev, we’re looking for a player that brings what he does.  .5 PPG / 20 goal winger who brings speed, decent size, can forecheck and PK.  

Of course, he could just be washed up -  but holding for the moment could pay off.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hughes-Marino

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Juulsen

McWard

If we splash out for Zadorov and Marino it probably doesn’t leave enough cap space for Myers which isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Not a bad looking D.  You just have to hope a couple of kids on the farm are ready for some spot duty during injury time.

This would be my ideal D corps

To NJD 

Podkolzin 

Milkeyev

Raty 

To VAN 

Marino 

2024 WPG 3rd 

Cap savings= 1.35

our cap space = 19.9

Zads 4.75x 5

JG 9

Blugger 2x 3

Silovs .850

Duhaime 1.5 x 3

Brett Murray .750 one way 

Danton Heinen 1.1 x whatever 

cap space none 

JG Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock 

Heinen Bluegger Garlsnd 

Murray AMan Duhaime 

PDG 

Hughes Marino 

Zads Hronek 

Soucy Juulsen 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

well they are shedding caps by letting lindholm joshua go.. i don't see zadorov being re-signed if they can't move mikheyev by the draft.. he'll prolly be one of those day 1 signings so i doubt we'll have a chance to circle back if plan a b c etc doesn't work out.. at this point i think they are all in on guentzel as plan A and then work their way down

Do you really think they they'll go after JG rather than shoring up the back end first? 

I would think Z and Myers (or a Myers replacement) would be the priority before worrying about a forward to play with Petey. 

Petey played with Mik and Hogz and the Canucks still won the division. 

The main concern right now is that Z, Cole and Myers are all UFAs. 

Only legit D we have signed are Hughes Hronek and Soucy (in which Soucy was oft injured last season). Juulsen is a 7D which means we need to sign 3 defensemen. 

My thought would be to have a strong defensive team and if we show promise, grab a scoring forward at the tdl rather than risking filtering in the oilers footsteps of an all offense team

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Do you really think they they'll go after JG rather than shoring up the back end first? 

I would think Z and Myers (or a Myers replacement) would be the priority before worrying about a forward to play with Petey. 

Only legit D we have signed are Hughes Hronek and Soucy (in which Soucy was oft injured last season). Juulsen is a 7D which means we need to sign 3 defensemen. 

My thought would be to have a strong defensive team and if we show promise, grab a scoring forward at the tdl rather than risking filtering in the oilers footsteps of an all offense team

I think Zadorov deal gets done before Free Agency. Sounds like they're close, so I'm not sure what it could be. Could an announcement for Z come this week? I think Myers gets done after Guentzel deal (if they nab him, that is). Joshua to me, sounds like he's gone, Lindholm as well. Blueger I think is coming back. They need him on the PK. 

Curious after those signings, whether they have money left over to sign two more defenseman. Roy and Stephenson? 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Zadorov deal gets done before Free Agency. Sounds like they're close, so I'm not sure what it could be. Could an announcement for Z come this week? I think Myers gets done after Guentzel deal (if they nab him, that is). Joshua to me, sounds like he's gone, Lindholm as well. Blueger I think is coming back. They need him on the PK. 

Curious after those signings, whether they have money left over to sign two more defenseman. Roy and Stephenson? 

Zad is simply priority #1 ahead of free agency. He is the one deal you NEED to know before.

Lindholm, it sounds like, wants to test the market, and will probably be a day one signing. My guess is the team hasn't been able to agree to the $ in the contract, and has asked for the option to match whatever he gets offered. He probably would have been ahead of Zad in priority if willing to dance.

The rest of our UFAs are guys that we are willing to let walk if teh $ is topo much (Dakota) or guys that won't be signed the first few days; will fill teams out once the first wave of FA is complete. This includes Myers, Blueger, Cole, etc.

If I were holding the magic beans, I'd:

1) Sign Zads pre July 1st

2) Sign Stephenson (if Lindholm leaves) in first wave of FA

3) Attempt to Sign a bigger name RHD in FA (Roy type)

4) Sign a place holder top 6 fwd (Toffoli or better type)

4) Circle back to Myers if #3 fails

5) Analysis cap; what to do with Mik?? Might have to do this before #4 IF you want to make a bigger splash than Toffoli.

6) Resign Blueger

7) Fill out team in 3rd wave of FA

Toffoli-Stephenson-Petterson

Hogs-Miller-Boeser

Podz-Blueger-Garland

Suter-Aman-PDG/FA/Karllson/etc

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Roy (Myers)

Soucy-Juulsen

Friedman-FA(Cole??)

Demko

Silovs

That's an upgraded top 6 with room for Lekkermaki in a couple years, third line with same potential as 2023/24, better 4th line, and same (or slightly beter) D than last year. In addition, a decent #2 for Demko so he can take 30 or so games off in 24/25 so hes not walking wounded next April.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, canucks curse said:

To NJD 

Podkolzin 

Milkeyev

Raty 

To VAN 

Marino 

2024 WPG 3rd 

Cap savings= 1.35

our cap space = 19.9

Zads 4.75x 5

JG 9

Blugger 2x 3

Silovs .850

Duhaime 1.5 x 3

Brett Murray .750 one way 

Danton Heinen 1.1 x whatever 

cap space none 

JG Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock 

Heinen Bluegger Garlsnd 

Murray AMan Duhaime 

PDG 

Hughes Marino 

Zads Hronek 

Soucy Juulsen 

Devils are trying to free up Marinos cap not add more lol

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, nergish said:

There is no way to easily handle a $5 mil dollar contract for a third pairing D, especially with our cap space. It would require huge sacrifices throughout the line-up.

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

Yeah!  The irony is, if we bend backwards to move Mikheyev, we’re looking for a player that brings what he does.  .5 PPG / 20 goal winger who brings speed, decent size, can forecheck and PK.  

Of course, he could just be washed up -  but holding for the moment could pay off.

It could also kill our season before it starts since right now the team is not looking near as strong with the UFA holes in the line-up. Tough call. I'd move him if they want to compete but if willing to take a step back keep him and hope he rebounds keeping our assets in our pocket.

Edited by Gawdzukes

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There is no way to easily handle a $5 mil dollar contract for a third pairing D, especially with our cap space. It would require huge sacrifices throughout the line-up.

It could also kill our season before it starts since right now the team is not looking near as strong with the UFA holes in the line-up. Tough call. I'd move him if they want to compete but if willing to take a step back keep him and hope he rebounds keeping our assets in our pocket.

I'd almost use him like a TFSA; spend your money you need to, but know that you have the $ option of a trade (move out a pick/player to make work) OR a buyout IF the time comes you need the $ to make something work.

I like Guentzel the player, just not Guentzel the high value FA that will get handed the moon. I'd weaponize a 1st and trade for a similar guy with some term on an okay contract for a couple years.

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think one needs to accept that Zads has shown he is a bonified 2nd pair guy at this point; he proved it last year for us in Soucy's absence. The big question in my opinion is what to do at 1/2 RHD; short term solution on 2nd pair (Myers) with Hronek on 1st OR go get a more defensive option (Roy) to pair with Hughes, and let a Zad-Hronek line do its thing. 

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I'd almost use him like a TFSA; spend your money you need to, but know that you have the $ option of a trade (move out a pick/player to make work) OR a buyout IF the time comes you need the $ to make something work.

I like Guentzel the player, just not Guentzel the high value FA that will get handed the moon. I'd weaponize a 1st and trade for a similar guy with some term on an okay contract for a couple years.

I'm with you on this. Gotta attempt to be flexible. I like Guentzel too but I'm just not sure that price tag is worth it compared to some more affordable options.

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

I think one needs to accept that Zads has shown he is a bonified 2nd pair guy at this point; he proved it last year for us in Soucy's absence. The big question in my opinion is what to do at 1/2 RHD; short term solution on 2nd pair (Myers) with Hronek on 1st OR go get a more defensive option (Roy) to pair with Hughes, and let a Zad-Hronek line do its thing. 

@BC_Hawk This one I am not too sure about. I personally have a lot of doubt Zadorov would be a solid top 4 guy for the duration of his contract, especially 6 years. Maybe 4. Even next year I'm not sure he's smart enough defensively or has the diligently consistent mindset over the course of a season to be relied on if you want to be a top team. He's a #5/#4 tweener in my viewpoint. Similar to Myers when he signed his contract.

I could easily be wrong though and Soucy Myers would be an absolutely amazing 3rd pair if so. Zads certainly has brought the right attitude and desire to Vancouver. No denying that and it definitely counts for something. No way we can roll Myers out as 2RD though if we don't want to be in danger of repeating our season from 2 years ago.

I get the splitting of the top pairing but I think there is a high chance they end up back together. Despite their size they were great offensively and defensively. Either way a #2RD should be very close if not the top priority for this team moving forward. And they need to be a righty imo.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think they go after forwards first I mean if they end up shoring up the back end. Striking out on forwards and we remain status quo up front.. what happens if ep continue to struggle because there’s no one to play with? Now we have a 11mil problem along with mikheyev. We just realistically need a top 4 and a top 6. I rather they spend it on jg who is guaranteed a top 6 vs zadorov who is MAYBE a top 4

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

This is a point I've already made several times....

There seems to be this narrative that the Canucks have to sign Guentzel (or someone like him) but the fact is, they did just fine last season without that "scoring forward". (or Lindholm, for that matter)

I absolutely agree that solidifying the defense should be a priority. Once that is done, if there is still money available, you can look at adding a forward. If not, there are almost always quality rentals available at the TDL. The Canucks are good enough to get to the playoffs without overpaying Jake Guentzel or Necas. They can look at adding scoring once they're on the verge of getting there, IMHO....

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This is a point I've already made several times....

There seems to be this narrative that the Canucks have to sign Guentzel (or someone like him) but the fact is, they did just fine last season without that "scoring forward". (or Lindholm, for that matter)

I absolutely agree that solidifying the defense should be a priority. Once that is done, if there is still money available, you can look at adding a forward. If not, there are almost always quality rentals available at the TDL. The Canucks are good enough to get to the playoffs without overpaying Jake Guentzel or Necas. They can look at adding scoring once they're on the verge of getting there, IMHO....

Yup. Shore up the back end, let Mikheyev rebound and possibly try to trade him later in the season (or keep him), and keep tinkering around the edges. Although, I sure would love to get Necas during his prime. It also wouldn't surprise me if 7X7 would snag him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm with you on this. Gotta attempt to be flexible. I like Guentzel too but I'm just not sure that price tag is worth it compared to some more affordable options.

@BC_Hawk This one I am not too sure about. I personally have a lot of doubt Zadorov would be a solid top 4 guy for the duration of his contract, especially 6 years. Maybe 4. Even next year I'm not sure he's smart enough defensively or has the diligently consistent mindset over the course of a season to be relied on if you want to be a top team. He's a #5/#4 tweener in my viewpoint. Similar to Myers when he signed his contract.

I could easily be wrong though and Soucy Myers would be an absolutely amazing 3rd pair if so. Zads certainly has brought the right attitude and desire to Vancouver. No denying that and it definitely counts for something. No way we can roll Myers out as 2RD though if we don't want to be in danger of repeating our season from 2 years ago.

I get the splitting of the top pairing but I think there is a high chance they end up back together. Despite their size they were great offensively and defensively. Either way a #2RD should be very close if not the top priority for this team moving forward. And they need to be a righty imo.

Agreed, however if the AAV is low enough, it could evolve into the going rate for a 3rd pair guy towards the end. I also have faith he will endure like Chara. His big body, stride, and reach SHOULD age well. 

• Upvote 1