[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

2 hours ago, Devron said:

I think it had a lot to do with getting Kuzmenko to sign here 

Signed one cap dump to lure a future cap dump here. What a time to be alive. I really doubt that is how PA and Rutherford operate though. They seem like the type to not mess around. I reckon they truly believed in Mikheyev. Either way, really bummed that we keep having to throw away picks to fix mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Signed one cap dump to lure a future cap dump here. What a time to be alive. I really doubt that is how PA and Rutherford operate though. They seem like the type to not mess around. I reckon they truly believed in Mikheyev. Either way, really bummed that we keep having to throw away picks to fix mistakes.

And tbf he was on a 20+ goal pace and who knows how things would've gone if he didn't tear his ACL early that year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I think PA and JR get too much credit... I don't think Kuz was even on anyone's radar when we signed Mik.

I think they liked Mik because he showed he could play at blazing speed and they thought he would be able to evolve from playing on the 3rd line in Toronto to higher up the lineup here.  His prior season he averaged almost 30 goals and I think given the state of our miserable PK (not to mention having to play McDavid several times a year) they thoguht his speed would really help the team.

As much as I disliked Mik last season (and think he was a bad signing), now is not the time to be sellign low on him, just the TDL was not the time to sell low on Kuzmenko, last offseason was not the time to sell low on Garland and Miller, and the offseason before that with Boeser...  

Edited by Sell.the.team
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

personally, i trust this management group to build a consistant playoff team here.

they have shown that when they make a mistake, the fix it as soon as they can.

using hindsight to judge every move, no gm would keep their job here. gcg.

A very admirable quality, they don't pretend they haven't made a mistake and therefore not try to correct it. Unlike JB....

30 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

personally, i trust this management group to build a consistant playoff team here.

they have shown that when they make a mistake, the fix it as soon as they can.

using hindsight to judge every move, no gm would keep their job here. gcg.

Mic drops... thank you. 
Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Mik was signed to increase our speed. And yeah he was probably overpaid.

I would like to remind everyone we at one point had Loui Eriksson at $6 million per year.

And Loui's best year in Vancouver was 11 goals, 18 assists and 29 points.

Mik last year had 11 goals, 20 assists and 31 points making $1.25 million less.

So as bad as Mik was. He's nothing like Loui.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I want 8 million too. Doesn’t mean they won’t come to an agreement. We fall for this stuff every year. I get it, we are basing this stuff on the reports or speculations we get. But I just don’t see us improving by subtracting Defence for forwards. No we get to where we were last year without Hronek. In fact I think it’s possible we don’t even make the playoffs. Hronek was a huge part of our resurgence even if he faded half way through the season. His first playoffs this year too if I’m not mistaken 

You can say that about many players.  The fact is we can't keep everybody.  We also have major holes in the top 6 which stopped us from going for the cup.  We need a top 6 similar to Florida to win the cup.  You add Crouse and Guentzel and we can compete with anyone.  As for RHD, like I said we have other options.  We can make a trade for a top 4 Dman and acquire another via free agency.  We also have Willander coming in a year who will be better than Hronek.  We don't have any top 6 wingers in the pipeline other than Lekkerimaki and we have like 2/3 holes to fill...

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Basically I'm ok with dealing Hronek if we can get an adequate replacement.

And that I can't figure out how we do that.

Yeah same but I just don’t see how. I’m just not on board for filling the hole with 30+ over priced free agents. So for that reason I hold my Hronek argument in keeping him 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Sometimes I think PA and JR get too much credit... I don't think Kuz was even on anyone's radar when we signed Mik.

I think they liked Mik because he showed he could play at blazing speed and they thought he would be able to evolve from playing on the 3rd line in Toronto to higher up the lineup here.  His prior season he averaged almost 30 goals and I think given the state of our miserable PK (not to mention having to play McDavid several times a year) they thoguht his speed would really help the team.

As much as I disliked Mik last season (and think he was a bad signing), now is not the time to be sellign low on him, just the TDL was not the time to sell low on Kuzmenko, last offseason was not the time to sell low on Garland and Miller, and the offseason before that with Boeser...  

lol what's that even suppose to mean? of coz kuz isn't on anyone's radar when we signed mik.. coz we already signed him months earlier.. why would he be on anyone's radar? Mikheyev have done NOTHING upto that point to get a 4.75mil contract let alone 4 years.. he was an injury prone bottom 6 that is good at pk and have decent production.. and they are paying him like garland who at least had a better track record.. joshua had the same production and we are talking about how he shouldn't be even making a penny over 3mil

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol what's that even suppose to mean? of coz kuz isn't on anyone's radar when we signed mik.. coz we already signed him months earlier.. why would he be on anyone's radar? Mikheyev have done NOTHING upto that point to get a 4.75mil contract let alone 4 years.. he was an injury prone bottom 6 that is good at pk and have decent production.. and they are paying him like garland who at least had a better track record.. joshua had the same production and we are talking about how he shouldn't be even making a penny over 3mil

oops i thought he signed a year earlier!!!

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t know if I would call him injury prone when we signed him. He had a broken thumb from a cross check and a sliced wrist from a skate blade, those aren’t injury prone accidents. The 4 years in juniors no injuries. He was coming off 21 goals in 54 games. I think the contract had some risk to it, but not a mistake. 

2 hours ago, NoHeart said:

I can’t believe the Canucks would want to trade him, this guy must really be an insider. 

Love it, very well said. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Yeah same but I just don’t see how. I’m just not on board for filling the hole with 30+ over priced free agents. So for that reason I hold my Hronek argument in keeping him 

A 30+ free agent is probably a good fit alas a bandaid until Willander/D-Petey show they can start handling meaningful minutes.  Getting a guy like Tanev on a 3 year deal would actually be a perfect fit.

Presumably he could move down the lineup as a young player is able to earn playing time.

We should look for at least one D on the trade market.  Really our only valuable assets (that we could part with) are Silovs, Hoglander, and Hronek.  Moving any more high picks is only going to hurt a possible winning window.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Pianoman said:

Hot take here… I wouldn’t say the singing of Mikeheyev was a mistake. It has turned out to not work so well, but I still think the idea of the signing was solid. Just had a 21 goal season, fast, good pker, at 1 million over the average nhl salary. The injuries were unfortunate, you can never predict that. Without the injuries it could have gone completely different. Even next year I could easily see him turning it around since he is a year removed from his injury. I’m ok with getting rid of him as long as it doesn’t cost us anything 

Agree with this bad luck with the knee injury is a bigger reason than just a flat out mistake. I have even said I'm not opposed to keeping him this season to see if he can bounce back if we can make it work he's just the easy trade target right now 

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Im sure they hoped that but yea that’s gambling on something that is unproven.

Im also sure they thought at least he would be a valuable pker but obviously his injury kind of derailed that.

The point remains if you’re gonna gamble like that don’t overspend on players that need to reach their absolute ceiling for their contract value to match their play.

I mean they prolly looked at like he would be our #1 none C pker, bring speed to a slow line up, and be a F1 on a top 9 role and potentially be a 20 goal scorer + help bring in Kuzmenko.

If you have Sub 5 plus an entry level Kuz you have 40-60 goals a top pker and a top pp guy and two top 9 forwards potentially top 6 guys for 6M then 10M after.

If Mikehyev didn't get hurt I am sure it looks a lot better. They took a swing.

The fact there is any interest on trade market shows there is a level of value left on a guy who's had a tough injury, and lost his confidence to one of the biggest cold streaks / droughts I have ever seen.

I dont think it was a crazy risk the Mik + Kuzmenko experiment. But of course in hindsight it was far from a home run.

The fact we didn't even get the PK Value from Mik kinda shows we never got even the expected floor value from the signing.

Edited by R3aL