[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

18 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

If Guentzel decides to sign with another team, what is the Canucks' Plan B?  Necas?

I don’t think Necas is an option tbh I can’t see their being a trade fit 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

It is a risk but I think he would still prefer a contender type scenario. Then again offer millions more per year and people find reasons to like their new situations.

People often forget the one factor when suggesting names to sign or even extend here. Players may like the Playoff atmosphere or the city but have other plans, they need to want to be here. Its not a matter of Vancouver having familiarity and wanting a player being enough.

I mean nobody knows but perhaps Lindholm wants to be on the east coast, his young family is building a house and putting down roots in Sweden, flights are half the amount of time ( 8 hours ? ) from Boston or New York, the east coast to Sweden. That could be an important reason, we don't know but too many variables other than just teams wanting players and offering bucks.

A good point, with Lindholm possibly preferring to be on the east coast. 

Maybe that's a good reason as well, with Guentzel's familiarity with JR, Allvin and Tocchet. That might be his reason for choosing VAN. Geez, I wasn't too keen on Guentzel to begin with, but adding that kind of firepower to an anemic PP would be great. 

14 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Unfortunately Canadian teams are a huge deterrent to free agents now because of taxes. They have to really want to be here or to have not gotten any serious offers. 

And weather

And real estate 

And travel

And publicity

Hey Connor can I carry your booze?

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

And weather

And real estate 

And travel

And publicity

Hey Connor can I carry your booze?

Yea look at the difference take home between BC and Texas on a 1million/year salary. 
It’s about $140,000/year. And housing costs about 1/4 in Texas.
    I’d say that’s a big enough difference to make your average player Choose Dallas over Vancouver if offered same $ figure and same term. 

Cannot see Miller and Laine getting along if Laine is brought here, but hopefully that's the old Laine and he did some growing up while he was away from the game working on himself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Getting Laine would be pretty poetic in all honesty, considering we should have had him originally in the 2016 draft. 

3 fins taken top 5 and they all fizzled in the nhl…. That’s actually wild, must be something more to this…

also Alf stop with the garland hate he’s our best 5v5 player and toc loves him he’s going nowhere! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because Utah, Chicago, and other teams have cap space. And they want to show their fans progression.

Canucks will be outbid, plain and simple.

I  Guess if money is all that matters then good to know enjoy long summers and watching their career wither away we don’t want contract chasers we want cup chasers. 

however if winning has any importance then those teams get crossed off early. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I never mentioned Joshua? Not sure what you are talking about.

i'm saying because joshua had a similar season to mikheyev last season.. then he should be paid close to 4.75 as a gamble by your standard because mik had 21 goals in 6x goals and joshua is very similar.. also plays pk big and strong on forecheck.. obviously i'm not saying we should pay him.. but you can't justify the mik signing anything but a mistake/disaster.. i doubt there was team lining up to pay him over 4 let alone 4 years. he had 0 track record to even gamble on

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm saying because joshua had a similar season to mikheyev last season.. then he should be paid close to 4.75 as a gamble by your standard because mik had 21 goals in 6x goals and joshua is very similar.. also plays pk big and strong on forecheck.. obviously i'm not saying we should pay him.. but you can't justify the mik signing anything but a mistake/disaster.. i doubt there was team lining up to pay him over 4 let alone 4 years. he had 0 track record to even gamble on

Mikheyev had 21 goals in only 56 games the year before the Canucks signed him. Joshua had 18 this year in something like 65 games. Mikeheyev was also a year younger. I’m not saying I would sign Mikeheyev to the contract NOW, just at the time I think it made a bit more sense than people give credit for. 

58 minutes ago, Combover said:

I  Guess if money is all that matters then good to know enjoy long summers and watching their career wither away we don’t want contract chasers we want cup chasers. 

however if winning has any importance then those teams get crossed off early. 

The Canucks had 23 Cup chasers as recently as what a month back ? May extend 30% of their pending ufas?

Money talks and end of the day its cool to suggest someone make concessions on their potential earnings but realistically you go where the money takes you. It may suck to hear and fans may be baffled by it but this is our society and the same decisions like this happen year after year.

20 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The Canucks had 23 Cup chasers as recently as what a month back ? May extend 30% of their pending ufas?

Money talks and end of the day its cool to suggest someone make concessions on their potential earnings but realistically you go where the money takes you. It may suck to hear and fans may be baffled by it but this is our society and the same decisions like this happen year after year.

it’s not a concession to some, it’s what that particular person seems more valuable.

I've taken less to do jobs I love as apposed  to being miserable and making more. Im fortunate I’m in a position to pick a choose. I don’t have the union pressure to take the max to help the brotherhood but that’s another story. 

money isn’t the primary motivator for some 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pianoman said:

Mikheyev had 21 goals in only 56 games the year before the Canucks signed him. Joshua had 18 this year in something like 65 games. Mikeheyev was also a year younger. I’m not saying I would sign Mikeheyev to the contract NOW, just at the time I think it made a bit more sense than people give credit for. 

sure but the equivalent to mikheyev contract would have been 4mil 2 years ago if mikheyev was worth 4.75mil and with the cap going up like 6mil since 4.5mil-4.75mil would have been the 4mil. i think it was a bad gamble.. a benning level gamble.. just like giving poolman 2.5mil for 4 years.. no difference from the ferland retirement contract that's the level bad the mikheyev contract was at the time of signing.. where have we seen it before? sign a player coming off an injury to a long term contract ala ferland poolman.. only difference is they can't play so we get ltir.. mik can play just at like 50% or less so we get no relief