[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

This "Dan Milstein Experiment" needs to end..
I suppose with just my EA Sports experience I'm not as plugged into NHL agents like these GMs are but even I know there's got to be more than one player agent! As a Franchise let's try reaching out to a couple different ones.. maybe? Just a thought.

16 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

I suppose with just my EA Sports experience I'm not as plugged into NHL agents like these GMs are but even I know there's got to be more than one player agent! As a Franchise let's try reaching out to a couple different ones.. maybe? Just a thought.

I don't think it has anything to do with the agent, it's the player. Gold Star represents the 3rd most player currently, so there is just an increased chance that he represents them.

15 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

It’s kind of risky dealing with one agent so much, especially one that isn’t as big as some of the other ones.

When things turn sour with one player it can spill over to other negotiations. I can’t imagine Millstein is thrilled with how the Canucks dumped Kuzmenko and are now seemingly trying to dump Mikheyev 2 years into his contract. Hard to believe that wouldn’t affect Zadorov’s negotiations.

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

Mikheyev 1m retained to Pit for R. Smith

Smith can play top 6 wing for JT or EP.

Smith is a good change of scenery candidate. He has a 10 team no trade list but it's worth a look.

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

Mikheyev 1m retained to Pit for R. Smith

Smith can play top 6 wing for JT or EP.

I wouldn't retain anything on Mikheyev if it's for Smith.  They both suck for their respective teams.  They both need a change of scenery.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

If Guentzel decides to sign with another team, what is the Canucks' Plan B?  Necas?

I'd look at Tarasenko on a short-term deal, he's older now but he's still put up back to back 50+ point seasons. 

17 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Cannot see Miller and Laine getting along if Laine is brought here, but hopefully that's the old Laine and he did some growing up while he was away from the game working on himself. 

I don't see why Miller would have any more an issue getting along with Laine than any other player if he comes in and puts the work in. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd look at Tarasenko on a short-term deal, he's older now but he's still put up back to back 50+ point seasons. 

I don't see why Miller would have any more an issue getting along with Laine than any other player if he comes in and puts the work in. 

Tarasenko apparently wants to stay if FLA and will take a discount to do so 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Hmm, dang. 

I suppose Stephenson then, or Monahan, Drouin, or Toffoli. Maybe even Taravainen. 

I still think the Canucks would be better served spreading their cap around than going after Guentzel. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Can't blame him.  The big loss for FLA will likely be Montour.  Can't see them not re-signing Rhino.

• Cheers 1

Just now, garthsbutcher said:

Mik has negative value

His salary at 1M retained would not be negative. It’s best we dump him this way as opposed to keeping him or trying to add sweetners like a 2nd or 3rd to get rid of him.

• ThereItIs 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, ArmchairGM22 said:

The bottom feeder teams like Anaheim, SJ, Chicago and even Utah (Low cap) need a player like him. I cannot see it being hard to get off his contract, particularly if we throw in a sweetener like a 4/5th or a B prospect we don't have room for.

Almost every team has a Mikheyev on their team  somewhere (forward or underachieving D)..   The ones that care are like us to middling teams ready to make a push.   We are competing against that.    Didn't think we'd trade Beau and he only had part of a season left.    So there is hope.  But saying it's easy isn't true.   Allvin wouldn't mention a buyout if it was that simple. 

Edited by IBatch
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Almost every team has a Mikheyev on their team  somewhere (forward or underachieving D)..   The ones that care are like us to middling teams ready to make a push.   We are competing against that.    Didn't think we'd trade Beau and he only had part of a season left.    So there is hope.  But saying it's easy isn't true.   Allvin wouldn't mention a buyout if it was that simple. 

When did he mention buyout? At the end of season presser he was saying he expects Mik to be healthy and ready next season, and said part of his underperformance was on the canucks putting him in the wrong position and obviously his knee wasn't quite perfect. That he isn't a top 6 player and that's on them.

Edited by ArmchairGM22

On 6/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because Utah, Chicago, and other teams have cap space. And they want to show their fans progression.

Canucks will be outbid, plain and simple.

Why would he want to play for Chicago, SJ or Utah when they have 0% chance at a cup for at least 5-7 years

• ThereItIs 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:27 AM, DeNiro said:

It’s kind of risky dealing with one agent so much, especially one that isn’t as big as some of the other ones.

When things turn sour with one player it can spill over to other negotiations. I can’t imagine Millstein is thrilled with how the Canucks dumped Kuzmenko and are now seemingly trying to dump Mikheyev 2 years into his contract. Hard to believe that wouldn’t affect Zadorov’s negotiations.

I'm sure the Canucks weren't thrilled with signing Kuzmenko to an extension and instead of training with all the other guys in the summer he took off to Bali by himself... then showed up and shit the bed for half the season. 
They also gave Mikheyev a very 'healthy' contract in both term and $$$ and Mikheyev has, likely due to injury but that's not really managements fault, not performed as expected. 

Both players have nobody to blame for their situations but themselves.. They have both been given free slots in the top 6 of the team for the past two seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

Why would he want to play for Chicago, SJ or Utah when they have 0% chance at a cup for at least 5-7 years

Money. Teams like Anaheim, Utah, and Chicago can overpay when it comes to cap, term, and overall dollars. 

Guentzel would be a great running mate for Bedard for example, and Anaheim's GM is on the record saying he wants a top six forward to help take the burden away from the younger guys.

Guentzel already got a cup in 2017, the idea that he could be swayed to a less competitive team by dollars isn't outlandish at all. 

Utah could be competitive sooner than later, they're asset rich and have a ton of cap flex, I wouldn't be so quick to write off their competitive chances. Anaheim's got a lot of high end young talent and a good chunk of cap flex as well, they'll be a wagon eventually. Even Chicago could surprise if they're smart about how they manage their assets and cap, having a player like Bedard is a game changer.

San Jose seems less likely, but Anaheim could absolutely pursue Guentzel. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

Gee I dunno. Maybe because he has a cup ring, and this could be a huge payday, and he can play with one of the best young forwards in the game?

As for Utah, Arizona was 11-12 wins back of making the playoffs. They have some good young talent as well.

By your logic why not take a huge pay cut and play for Florida?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

I would keep Mikheyev and hope he fully recovers from surgery before I would attach assets to trade him. That doesn't make sense. Allvin and JR bought out OEL rather than  trade Garland with a pick and/or a prospect. Many wanted Boeser gone as well.

• Cheers 1

Frankly, Mikheyev’s value is at its lowest. Best move, unless something great presents itself in terms of trade or a valuable UFA option to this team becomes available, is to give him another chance to build up his value and then move on from him. I would love to see that contract value be pooled back into our available space, but if letting Dak go, Mik does fill a role on this club for the short term anywhere in the 4 F lines. It’s not ideal but it’s a piece we already have. If he excels and burns off another large portion of his contract next season he becomes much more enticing to another club that will only have the remainder of this season and next owed to him. Really does depend on what comes available to us but if the options are limited, giving Mik an offseason and at least 50% of next season to show what he has may be best for biz.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Frankly, Mikheyev’s value is at its lowest. Best move, unless something great presents itself in terms of trade or a valuable UFA option to this team becomes available, is to give him another chance to build up his value and then move on from him. I would love to see that contract value be pooled back into our available space, but if letting Dak go, Mik does fill a role on this club for the short term anywhere in the 4 F lines. It’s not ideal but it’s a piece we already have. If he excels and burns off another large portion of his contract next season he becomes much more enticing to another club that will only have the remainder of this season and next owed to him. Really does depend on what comes available to us but if the options are limited, giving Mik an offseason and at least 50% of next season to show what he has may be best for biz.

It's nice to build value and all but at what point is it selling the season out just to accommodate one player? Without his currently wasted cap space being opened up we'll be very hard pressed to be as competitive next year and likely take a step back.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's nice to build value and all but at what point is it selling the season out just to accommodate one player? Without his currently wasted cap space being opened up we'll be very hard pressed to be as competitive next year and likely take a step back.

Because he's a bounce back candidate that we already own and could improve his market value.

People keep talking about distressed value players...we have one and until he can be feasibly moved without penalty it makes sense to at least give him the opportunity to rebuild his value, whether its to us or elsewhere.

One player is not going to tank our season. He played for us last season and look where we still ended up.

I'm all for moving him, and like I said if the right deal presents itself then I hope PA goes forward, but given what might be the cost to relieve his contract and the subsequent departures of a few key players, Mik may end up serving a purpose even if for the short term. Just no more dead cap, and minimal retention, and please no more draft picks wasted to relieve mistakes, especially ones that still could redeem themselves given an off-season to train and come back stronger. 

Obviously if his contract ends up potentially costing us a Zadorov then beg him to waive his MNTC, but if things pan out and we have cap for our targets, then I'm not opposed like I once was to seeing how he fares into next season on this club.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:28 AM, RJCF96 said:

Mikheyev was signed after a 21 goal season with the Leafs. The thought process was he was in the right age group and he can develop his offensive game along with his blazing speed. The thought process was to build another scoring line with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko as wingers for Petey. They were a good line last season, and they were also really good for the first 2 months of this season until Kuzmenko just stopped scoring. He was also a very good penalty killer with the Leafs and at the time, we needed more good PK players. Unfortunately for him, he got injured in his first pre-season game and played through the first half of last season with the injury before getting shut-down. It's just a very unfortunate situation right from the beginning.

It takes a long time to recover from these injuries. We never got to see him at his best. He had a good start to the season, scored 10 goals in his first 30 or so games. Then he got snake bitten and the longer his goal drought, he lost his confidence. I think a lot of his game was just mental and he needed a bit of a reset. I won't rule out that he would be back scoring 15-20 goals next season putting up 40-45 points playing as a middle 6 winger again.

Kuzmenko "...didn't just stop scoring" when he was on the Pettersson line.  He stopped scoring when he was taken off the line and demoted to the 4th line or benched.  At Game 20 he had 14 pts... he was not potting a lot of goals but he was contributing and was on a 60 pt pace.  Rest of the time he was with Vancouver his production tailed off.

At exactly the same time, Mikheyev went into his scoring drought and Pettersson's league leading production started into a tailspin.

As soon as Kuzmenko was put back with top sixers, (in Calgary) his scoring picked up again.  He ended the year with 22 goals, 24 assists... 46 pts in 72 games... which is top six numbers.  He had 14 goals and 25 points in the 29 games he played with Calgary.... which would have been a 70 pt/35 goal pace over a full season.

My prediction is he will get at least 30 goals with Calgary this upcoming year... maybe goes over 40 if he develops chemistry with Kadri and shows what he is capable of on the PP.

I'm gonna be the Devil's advocate and ask questions about the trade that sent him to Calgary and Lindholm to Vancouver.

By any standards, Calgary easily won the trade when you consider the regular season.  Kuzmenko's production was far better than Lindholm... and we aren't even counting the extra players thrown in as gifts to Calgary.

Yeah, everyone talks about Lindholm's play in the playoffs, but how does that rank compared to players on other playoff teams?  5 goals and 10 points from 13 games is not even close to top tier... yeah he had some critical goals, but overall, his production was not superlative by any means.  Yes, there were compliments on his defensive play, but again, defense wasn't the problem with the Canuck play... the problem was lack of scoring.  Canucks could have used the creativity and finish of Kuzmenko...  I doubt he would have missed the opportunities given to Mikheyev and Suter in both series... which they regularly squandered.

We will never know what could have happened with a Canuck team with Kuzmenko and without Lindholm... what we can know is where the trade will leave Vancouver in 2024/2025.

If Lindholm doesn't sign, then the Canucks have real gaps in their top six... they will have to sign free agents and/or spend more picks.  If they don't find quality players, then the team will very likely regress.

I think Kuzmenko is a rare offensive talent... just hoping this trade doesn't come back to bite the Canucks later.

Edited by -Buzzsaw-
  • ThereItIs 1