[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Ilya Mikheyev Trade Chatter Heating Up 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No.  No, I don't think the Canucks should sign that deal, but also NO, I don't think Guentzel will cost that much.

I mean he might the rumour is 65 million total money so he could be especially if a couple teams get down to the wire on it head to head and up it a little 

ofc 8-9 range is preferred here 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No.  No, I don't think the Canucks should sign that deal, but also NO, I don't think Guentzel will cost that much.

I tend to agree, kind of shake my head at how many media types overshoot cap projections on most contracts.

Drance suggesting over $11m per for Guentzel ? I could see a team like Chicago being silly like that but no way.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If he is near that much we need to stay away.  He will be 30 by the time his first season kicks in and he is a great complementary players and not an elite all-star.

$8 million x 6 years already probably means a couple of years at the end where he isn’t pulling nearly his weight 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

People fell for same mantra every time.One thing is what you ask(want),other what do you will get.I think JR philosophy is ,help me with price tag,i will put you in happy place.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No way in hell, UNLESS on a short-term (<3 year) contract. I agree though; no way Guentzel gets that contract

23 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think if there's mutual interest on both sides, we will probably acquire Guentzel at the draft or before so that we can bring overall cap hit down by doing 8 years total.

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'd pass and aim lower.

We are assuming we are the only team considering him.  I think there are probably 10 teams that are in on this...Carolina also gave up a truckload to to get him.  My bet is he stays put.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not if it prevents other players from being signed. And there's no guarantee that Guentzel will have chemistry with Pettersson. 

In the year 2025/26 The Canucks will have 10 players signed, with $32.758 mill left to sing the rest.

Brock- or his replacement is one of the spots needing filled.

tldr?

Can't really afford Guentzal, and the guy will be way old by the end of his next deal.

• Vintage 1

I don't care about the money, I want the cup. the canucks have a 2-3 year demko/hughes window to try to pull it off. 

if they can make it work without robbing peter to pay paul, push all the chips in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

We are assuming we are the only team considering him.  I think there are probably 10 teams that are in on this...Carolina also gave up a truckload to to get him.  My bet is he stays put.

Mine say Nashville

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

In the year 2025/26 The Canucks will have 10 players signed, with $32.758 mill left to sing the rest.

tldr?

Can't really afford Guentzal, and the guy will be way old by the end of his next deal.

25-26 the cap will go up another $4-5 mil. 

• Like 1

Just now, ronning4center said:

I do think he'll garner quite a bit of interest, if I had to guess I'd say that Anaheim, Chicago, Carolina, Vancouver, Utah, Nashville, Seattle, and Detroit will probably have interest.

I'd list Buffalo, Pittsburgh (if they can ship out Smith), St. Louis, Boston, and LA as maybe's. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

Maybe

or maybe not.

Better to plan at the current cap, and be happy that it did/does go up; than plan on it going up, and getting screwed if it doesn't.

I think there's a serious chance one of Utah, Anaheim, or Chicago would be willing to overpay Guentzel, all have a hefty amount of cap space.

Chicago would get him for Bedard, Anaheim wants a top six forward to take some of the load away from the youth, and Utah has a whopping 43.5M in cap space available. Chicago's and Anaheim are closer to 33M in open cap space.

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

tldr?

2 minutes ago, tas said:

With a Mikheyev buyout, I show us not being able to sign Zadorov or Guentzel.  We would have to pick one.

For 2025-26, we are entering Garland's final year, as well as Soucy.  If the cap doesn't go up by enough, I'd see us moving 1 of those 2 guys to make it work.  By then we will know what we have in Hoglander... who will happen to be an RFA.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think if there's mutual interest on both sides, we will probably acquire Guentzel at the draft or before so that we can bring overall cap hit down by doing 8 years total.

Carolina would need to sign the extension if it is going to be 8 years, could be traded afterwards as players have to be on a club's reserve list as of the trade deadline.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think there's a serious chance one of Utah, Anaheim, or Chicago would be willing to overpay Guentzel, all have a hefty amount of cap space.

Chicago would get him for Bedard, Anaheim wants a top six forward to take some of the load away from the youth, and Utah has a whopping 43.5M in cap space available. Chicago's and Anaheim are closer to 33M in open cap space.

Guentzel would have to want to go to those teams too though.  I really don't think Guentzel wants to finish his career on a rebuilding franchise.  Doesn't seem the type of player to be happy with that scenario. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Guentzel would have to want to go to those teams too though.  I really don't think Guentzel wants to finish his career on a rebuilding franchise.  Doesn't seem the type of player to be happy with that scenario. 

Maybe, but money talks. 

And I do think there's a chance Utah could be competitive sooner than later if they play their cards right. They're in a unique position with that cap space, their haul of picks, their prospect pool, and some of the young talent already in place on the roster. Get them a good coaching staff and who knows.