[Discussion] OEL buyout thread

RWJC

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

perceived like he sucks

Yeah and that's the thing. He was good year one. Year two was... something else, injuries and all the rest. 7 mill hit was a dark rain cloud of expectation that would never subside here.

The buyout being much more a unfortunate product of economics rather than a direct shot at his ability to play the game.

But I'm with you. Inevitable given the situation.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

...and everyone was happy (momentarily). 😉

And then for some even not! It's pretty funny. Those angry about the original trade inevitably ended up not wanting him to leave and angry about that, too!

In the words of Morpheus, "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

And then for some even not! It's pretty funny. Those angry about the original trade inevitably ended up not wanting him to leave and angry about that, too!

In the words of Morpheus, "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

Lol ... exactly. It's kinda like being unhappy and wanting a young Top 4 RHD then we get one and they're still angry. 

Morpheus lives on this board. 

• Haha 1

Really a tough one. He was definitely a victim of being part of a terrible system + having an incompatible partner here.

I dont think he was ever gonna be a 7m dollar defenseman for us and we sure wouldnt have been able to make all our moves (soucy + cole + hronek) if we kept him.

I think even if you take OEL healthy + performing well, our blue line still looks better now.

Still, sucks. I liked him, and assume he's going to play to a 4-5m level with Florida. 

If the management was set to move on from Oel with a buyout.. they shoulda made the trade for chychrun I’m not sure how the cap works out but for a 1st 2nd and 3rd imagine we have chychrun Hughes hronek as a top 4. Not drafting willander would suck but this would align with our timeline much better anyways. They prolly coulda ltir hronek and fit them all in. Now that’s an all in move I can get behind XD

17 hours ago, RWJC said:

Florida Panthers preseason game 1:

image.thumb.png.fa1af320d617943e80e62a49d6d50d1e.png

FLORIDA PANTHERS

Preseason No. 1: Florida Panthers 5, Nashville Predators 0

SUNRISE — When asked when his team would start working on the power play, Florida Panthers coach Paul Maurice said prior to Wednesday’s preseason game at Carolina.

No rush.

On Monday, the Panthers scored on their first two power play chances of the preseason off goals from William Lockwood and Eetu Luostarinen en route to a 5-0 win over the Nashville Predators in the opener of a day-night preseason doubleheader at the Arena.

Florida and Nashville will play a second game on Monday with the start time scheduled for 6 p.m.

Luostarinen ended up scoring a second power play goal on a 5-on-3 look late in the second to give the Panthers a three-goal cushion.

Rookie Mackie Samoskevich helped his bid to make the team by scoring early in the second and then, again, toward the end.

All told, the Panthers scored four of their five goals with the man-advantage as Nashville was hit with 10 penalties in the preseason opener.

Florida was charged with five penalties — including a roughing from Anton Lundell when he punched Kevin Gravel square in the face.

Maurice and the Panthers are certainly going to change things up on their special teams as the preseason rolls on, but at least on Monday, one can see how things could look once things start counting for real.

It was the second group which opened the scoring as former Bruins defenseman Mike Reilly teed off from the point with Lockwood deflecting it from in front.

As Maurice said last week, Oliver Ekman-Larsson ran this top power play unit (Sasha Barkov was with this group) with Gus Forsling running the second.

Ekman-Larsson ended up with three assists.

Regardless, Florida made it 2-0 moments after Lockwood’s goal when Luostarinen charged in and beat Nashville goalie Kevin Lankinen.

Spencer Knight was in net for the Panthers for the first time since leaving the team in February and was solid, going 29:15 and making 13 saves before giving way to Ludovic Waeber holding a 2-0 lead.

Waeber got himself a little run support when Luostarinen knocked in a rebound off a Barkov shot seconds into Nashville’s second penalty of the sequence.

GR’S 3 STARS OF GAME 1

1. Eetu Luostarinen, Florida (2 goals)

2. Mackie Samoskevich, Florida (2 goals, assist)

3. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Florida (3 assists)

George Richards

https://floridahockeynow.com/preseason-no-1-florida-panthers-5-nashville-predators-0/

Yeah only 1 PRESEASON game , but Curious of how many 3 pt games OEL had as a Canuck though?

I prefer to look at the buyout as an unfortunate necessity. The contract was too long to just let him keep playing as poorly as he was. The Panthers were smart to sign him the way they did. One year and cheap. He has something to prove and will outperform that deal for them. He is not a 7 million dollar defender and if he becomes one again I will be incredibly surprised. At 2-3 million, good depth veteran presence. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Been a while, elvis15. 

I've been around, hopefully you didn't have me blocked on the old site!

Man, that was a blast from the past, going through my old block list. Shawn Rocker, Nash W Corker, Vern Fonk, too many to list.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I prefer to look at the buyout as an unfortunate necessity. The contract was too long to just let him keep playing as poorly as he was. The Panthers were smart to sign him the way they did. One year and cheap. He has something to prove and will outperform that deal for them. He is not a 7 million dollar defender and if he becomes one again I will be incredibly surprised. At 2-3 million, good depth veteran presence. 

OEL will be eating popcorn in the press box as a healthy scratch in Florida ver quick. The guy is lazy. He’s out of shape and relies on only his talent. He’s older now and that doesn’t work. He was falling off a cliff because of his lazy ways before Benning 🤢 traded for him. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

OEL will be eating popcorn in the press box as a healthy scratch in Florida ver quick. The guy is lazy. He’s out of shape and relies on only his talent. He’s older now and that doesn’t work. He was falling off a cliff because of his lazy ways before Benning 🤢 traded for him. 

You might be right, but I see this slightly differently. The guy has talent and ability (not 7 million dollars worth on his best day). He will play hard this season and earn his paycheque (from Florida not us). Then some dumb GM will sign him for more than one year and he will coast into retirement Louie style with a bank account full of money. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:25 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

We'll see if he can keep it up, I doubt it personally. That being said, I didn't think a buyout was the right option. The OEL/Garland trade was one of the worst moves, if not the single worst move of the Benning era. But I felt the right course of action was to just deal with it and try to make the best out of OEL.

That trade was the worst in franchise history and that’s saying something

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Never blocked a single user. 

I know I wasn't everyone's taste, and I definitely wasn't interested in seeing some of the worse posters at all, so may have used it more than a few times.

But back to OEL, time will show he isn't going to put up 100+ assists suddenly this year just because he isn't here or burdened by that contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nah, Neely trade was worse. 

It’s a distant second to this deal. At least it didn’t cap handcuff the team for more than a decade like this one did. 

The OEL/Garland trade simultaneously ate up a ton of soon to be expiring cap and replaced it with long term cap, stunted the addition of quality prospects to the farm, and ultimately gave us a bottom pair quality defender and a bottom 6 quality winger both of whom were kind of redundant to the roster.

Thats a lot of fail. 

Edited by WSAcanuck

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

Hold on there, sport…

Cam_Neely_Trade_Chain_Bruins.jpg

Ya but the terribleness of that trade is due to the arc that showed itself over a long period of time. At the time it was bad but not egregiously bad. 

The OEL trade was brutal the minute it went through. And is only getting worse. 20 years from now who knows what that arc will look like. Apples and oranges comparison. 

How I describe it is the Neely trade is really only terrible because of the huge long term win by Boston.

The OEL trade is terrible because of the long term loss to the Canucks. That’s why it’s worse imo. 

Edited by WSAcanuck

3 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

It’s a distant second to this deal. At least it didn’t cap handcuff the team for more than a decade like this one did. 

The OEL/Garland trade simultaneously ate up a ton of soon to be expiring cap and replaced it with long term cap, stunted the addition of quality prospects to the farm, and ultimately gave us a bottom pair quality defender and a bottom 6 quality winger both of whom were kind of redundant to the roster.

Thats a lot of fail. 

No a legit hall of fame power forward that probably would have help us win the 94 cup for a broken forward we got two ok years out of is a bigger fail, by a lot. And you can’t move the goal posts with adding the cap either. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

No a legit hall of fame power forward that probably would have help us win the 94 cup for a broken forward we got two ok years out of is a bigger fail, by a lot. And you can’t move the goal posts with adding the cap either. 

Trading Neely was a terrible move for sure. But it did not cripple the Canucks anywhere near what the OEL deal did. Suggesting Neely would have helped us win in 94 is a stretch. That’s a long time. He may not have even been in Van that long either way. 

Cap matters because that’s a huge part of the outcome of any trade now. 

Comparing the Neely trade and its subsequent epic levels of fail arc in the many years since is moving the goalposts. At the time we made a bad trade. But it was only eligible for worst all time due to all the subsequent moves that made it look even worse.