[Discussion] OEL buyout thread

RWJC

Bruins D McAvoy facing suspension for 'dirty' hit on Ekman-Larsson

Boston Bruins defenceman Charlie McAvoy is facing a suspension after receiving a match penalty for a hit to the head of Florida Panthers defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson on Monday.

McAvoy received a five-minute major and a game ejection for the hit, which came in the third period with the game tied 1-1. The Bruins defenceman caught Ekman-Larsson's head with his shoulder in front of the Panthers net more than a second after Ekman-Larsson had played the puck.

The Bruins killed off the penalty, eventually earning a 3-2 overtime win to improve to 8-0-1 this season. Ekman-Larsson did not return to the game following the hit.

“I really haven’t seen it that well, saw it quickly on the (scoreboard),” Panthers captain Aleksander Barkov said post-game. “Obviously the refs made the call and if it was five minutes, it’s five minutes so it was dirty. I don’t know. I didn’t really see it, so I can’t comment on it.”

Panthers coach Paul Maurice did not comment on the play, beyond stating that he believed McAvoy attempted a similar hit earlier in the game.

"I thought it was exactly like the hit on (Carter) Verhaeghe in the first," Maurice said.

McAvoy's lone career suspension came in the 2019 playoffs when he received a one-game ban for a hit to the head of then-Columbus Blue Jackets winger Josh Anderson. He is not considered a repeat offender.

The 25-year-old blueliner has two goals and eight points in nine games this season for the Bruins. 

“I saw it live,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said of McAvoy’s hit. “I haven’t looked at it in depth. The league reviews all those hits and they’ll let us know what their thoughts are, and we respect how the league goes about it. I think they do a real good process there.”

The Bruins will next play the Toronto Maple Leafson Thursday.

https://www.tsn.ca/boston-bruins-d-charlie-mcavoy-facing-suspension-for-dirty-hit-on-oliver-ekman-larsson-1.2029063?tsn-amp

Edited by RWJC

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Boston Bruins defenceman Charlie McAvoy is facing a suspension after receiving a match penalty for a hit to the head of Florida Panthers defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson on Monday.

McAvoy received a five-minute major and a game ejection for the hit, which came in the third period with the game tied 1-1. The Bruins defenceman caught Ekman-Larsson's head with his shoulder in front of the Panthers net more than a second after Ekman-Larsson had played the puck.

The Bruins killed off the penalty, eventually earning a 3-2 overtime win to improve to 8-0-1 this season. Ekman-Larsson did not return to the game following the hit.

“I really haven’t seen it that well, saw it quickly on the (scoreboard),” Panthers captain Aleksander Barkov said post-game. “Obviously the refs made the call and if it was five minutes, it’s five minutes so it was dirty. I don’t know. I didn’t really see it, so I can’t comment on it.”

Panthers coach Paul Maurice did not comment on the play, beyond stating that he believed McAvoy attempted a similar hit earlier in the game.

"I thought it was exactly like the hit on (Carter) Verhaeghe in the first," Maurice said.

McAvoy's lone career suspension came in the 2019 playoffs when he received a one-game ban for a hit to the head of then-Columbus Blue Jackets winger Josh Anderson. He is not considered a repeat offender.

The 25-year-old blueliner has two goals and eight points in nine games this season for the Bruins. 

“I saw it live,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said of McAvoy’s hit. “I haven’t looked at it in depth. The league reviews all those hits and they’ll let us know what their thoughts are, and we respect how the league goes about it. I think they do a real good process there.”

https://www.tsn.ca/boston-bruins-d-charlie-mcavoy-facing-suspension-for-dirty-hit-on-oliver-ekman-larsson-1.2029063?tsn-amp

The fact that OEL played the rest of the game will factor into the punishment.  However, that's as blatant a hot to the head as there is and should be 5 games, minimum

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The multiple angles show that this is an indisputable hit to the head. McAvoy should know better (then again, he's a Bruin) and should be given 5 games for such a reckless hit.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

The fact that OEL played the rest of the game will factor into the punishment.  However, that's as blatant a hot to the head as there is and should be 5 games, minimum

If McAvoy happened to be wearing a Canucks jersey, we'd be talking about the league labelling him a 'dangerous offender' & Ron McLean would be on TV claiming he's should be in the lowest level of hell (re: Dante's Inferno).

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The multiple angles show that this is an indisputable hit to the head. McAvoy should know better (then again, he's a Bruin) and should be given 5 games for such a reckless hit.

Even the look on his facw shows intent, imo 

CM isn't an overly dirty or dangerous player, I wonder why he got to this spot all of a sudden?

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

True. He looks at OEL and then he clearly lifts his shoulder to get the head. And he came in with some speed to connect. Very dangerous and reckless.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

CM isn't an overly dirty or dangerous player, I wonder why he got to this spot all of a sudden?

Maybe the guidance of the captain?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The game wasn't even out of hand and Boston is on a roll so there's really no legit reason to do this. Maurice claimed McAvoy already tried a hit on Verhaege earlier in the game. Perhaps a grudge from playoffs last year? Still though, OEL wasn't even on the Florida team and was the victim of the hit. McAvoy is just being an idiot on that play. 

I hope he gets 5 games but he'll probably get 3...

• Vintage 1

Clear head shot... he extends upwards as he hits OEL... pathetic.

On second thoughts he should get extended suspension as the hit occurs more than a second after the puck has gone... wasn't that the issue with Romes hit during the finals.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1