Racism

JIAHN

On 6/13/2024 at 7:18 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Are ‘we’ still all talking about the Anthropology surrounding ‘race’, or has this thread moved to ‘culture’ 

Just asking.

There’s a huge distinction and disconnect.

There are nice people and assholes in every race. But some cultures seem to foster attitudes and behaviours that are unappealing to Canadians. While Canadians are sometimes seen as the nice guys of the world, some cultures produce many people who to us seem to be pushy, selfish, dishonest, misogynist, etc.

• Cheers 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, Slegr said:

So hold on, let me test this… say something mean about the Inuit, and… no more whale skin with blubber for you? I’m not sure if it holds.

I’m all for supporting all cultures. It’s what gives people identity and belonging. The ‘we’re all the same’ lens usually comes from those who are in the majority who rarely have their cultures threatened in any significant ways. At one point, our early ancestors may have all come from the same place, but a lot has happened since then. Things that help us view the world in different ways. Recognize our similarities and celebrate our differences.

Piss the people off on the Faroe Islands  And your cut off blubber heck they won’t even let you film the annual pilot whale slaughter. They get offended before you get the chance to be offended. Japanese also have a pension for whale. 

On 6/16/2024 at 8:34 PM, Slegr said:

So hold on, let me test this… say something mean about the Inuit, and… no more whale skin with blubber for you? I’m not sure if it holds.

I’m all for supporting all cultures. It’s what gives people identity and belonging. The ‘we’re all the same’ lens usually comes from those who are in the majority who rarely have their cultures threatened in any significant ways. At one point, our early ancestors may have all come from the same place, but a lot has happened since then. Things that help us view the world in different ways. Recognize our similarities and celebrate our differences.

Yeah I don't think that was a well thought out suggestion.

Not only would it not be enforced by anyone, it's not a deterrent at all for picky eaters.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, WeneedLumme said:

There are nice people and assholes in every race. But some cultures seem to foster attitudes and behaviours that are unappealing to Canadians. While Canadians are sometimes seen as the nice guys of the world, some cultures produce many people who to us seem to be pushy, selfish, dishonest, misogynist, etc.

We produce many of our own too. Look at the racist crap that happened during the pandemic. I've noticed living in Vancouver that interacting with Asian women e.g., has changed. Pre-pandemic I never noticed anything out in public, retail stores, etc. about any kind of hesitation or lack of friendliness right away.

Now, being a middle aged whitey like I am, I do notice that sometimes Asian women in particular kind of wait and see what I'm about before being friendly. It doesn't take long, but I definitely notice something new now. It sucks, because a few assholes decided to pick on Asian women it changed how people view groups on a much larger scale. And I don't blame them at all for being fearful given how stupid some of the actions were. 

• ThereItIs 1