[Report] NHL's Utah Hockey Club Unveils Logos, Colors and Jerseys for Inaugural Season

NHL's Utah Hockey Club Unveils Logos, Colors and Jerseys for Inaugural Season

Smith Entertainment Group closed its transactions on Thursday to officially establish the NHL's Utah Hockey Club. The team also released its branding for the first season.

The Utah Hockey Club is officially born.

Smith Entertainment Group, led by Ashley and Ryan Smith, closed its transactions that were announced on April 18 to establish the Utah Hockey Club. The team is now set to begin play next season.

While voting continues on the permanent team name, Utah also has a brand and social media in place in time for the NHL draft and their inaugural season. 

Utah will sport three colors for its inaugural season, which it calls Rock Black, Salt White and Mountain Blue.

The club has four logos for the first year, with the primary one being "Utah Hockey Club" in a blue circle. After two wordmarks, they also have the name appearing in a Utah state-like shape.

And when they hit the ice for the 2024-25 season, the Utah players will sport a predominantly black jersey at home with a Utah diagonal wordmark and white and blue stripes on the arms and at the bottom. 

On the road, they'll have blue and black stripes in the same spots on their white uniform. That said, the black stripes are thicker than the white stripes on the home uniform.

The six finalists for Utah's team name are in the second round of voting until June 20. Once the team name is selected, Smith Entertainment Group will create a logo, mascot, jerseys and more branding elements to launch for the 2025-26 season.

Those potential names include the Blizzard, Yeti, Venom, Mammoth and Outlaws. There's also the option to vote to keep Utah Hockey Club as the permanent name.

“On behalf of the Board of Governors, I am delighted to officially welcome Utah to the National Hockey League,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a press release. “Congratulations to Ryan and Ashley Smith, their entire organization, the state of Utah and the fans as the club continues its exciting march toward puck drop in October.”

JONATHAN TOVELL

6 HOURS AGO

https://apple.news/AAz4_XKGRSu2dMZi0G2n7iA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

This is going to save the Arizona franchise?

Looks like a poorly thought out or rushed practice jersey. Why not just wait until name has been decided and do a proper jersey and unveiling? Seems lacking in both design and marketing skills.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Shekky said:

this is a placeholder according to sportsnet while the team decides on a more permanent solution down the road which makes sense to me they had only 4 or 5 months to plan this

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/utah-team-unveils-temporary-name-uniform-for-2024-25-season/

Thanks. Still though, why bother?

Could easily had placeholder jersey templates for each name and presented all of those instead of just this. 

Would lead to even more excitement and fan engagement towards name choice and the entire process up to the final decision. 
Dumb, even if they are just trying to get up to speed asap.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Utah Hockey Club?  Man... all the marketing power in the world and this is what they've come up with... unbelievable. 

Apparently it’s just temporary as they want to have a fan contest and do some focus groups with fans on names. 

they just didn’t have time prior to next season given all the work required to come up with a name, logos, branding etc.

i think the expectation is the following season it will be done, name logo uniforms etc 

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Looks like a poorly thought out or rushed practice jersey. Why not just wait until name has been decided and do a proper jersey and unveiling? Seems lacking in both design and marketing skills.

As a couple people have alluded to, my son just told me as well that this a temporary name/jersey for this next season.

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Thanks. Still though, why bother?

Could easily had placeholder jersey templates for each name and presented all of those instead of just this. 

Would lead to even more excitement and fan engagement towards name choice and the entire process up to the final decision. 
Dumb, even if they are just trying to get up to speed asap.

If you think about how long Vegas had to plan their team they had like 2 years to do all the planning I think? before there Inaugural season but they were also planning for the expansion draft. So I can see why they are doing this, 4-5 months isn't really enough time to have everything decided and if they were to choose Utah Venom or any of the other names they had listed you get stuck with that name.

Edited by Shekky
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Apparently it’s just temporary as they want to have a fan contest and do some focus groups with fans on names. 

they just didn’t have time prior to next season given all the work required to come up with a name, logos, branding etc.

i think the expectation is the following season it will be done, name logo uniforms etc 

Fair enough.

I guess they haven’t heard of AI in Utah though. Jersey designs for each name could have been prompted within minutes and refined to at least present an idea as to what it might look like within their colour scheme. 
What do I know though…will wait to see final product before I trash them. They are still the enemy regardless!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Fair enough.

I guess they haven’t heard of AI in Utah though. Jersey designs for each name could have been prompted within minutes and refined to at least present an idea as to what it might look like within their colour scheme. 
What do I know though…will wait to see final product before I trash them. They are still the enemy regardless!

Edited by Hail Cesare
Apologies for this comment as I am not trying to highlight RWJC comment, I am just trying to add a comment to the thread.
  • Cheers 1

Trying to add a comment and as you can tell I am new to this (2 comments so far) and just trying to distance myself from quoting RWJC quote ( i do not disagree but just was just trying to add my own opinion to this thread).

I love the colour scheme and the explanations why but not a fan at all of the name. I do understand this is an experiment so committing to something more tangible may be lost  in 4-5 years if they are moved again.

Thanks for your patience

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Well, at least they didn't call it the Utah Ice Hockey Club 🤣  

It would have been funny if they were calling themselves the Utah Street Hockey Club or Utah Ball Hockey Club.

Maybe I was being too harsh given the circumstances.
At least they have finally rid the league of the failure that were the Yotes and are creating a new chapter with what seems like a great owner for the NHL community. 

• Cheers 1

I'm pretty sure marketing people in 2-3 months can come up with a name. It didn't take long after the naming contest to come up with Kraken for Seattle.

Maybe the Utah market they want to go real slow to make sure the team stays?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Utah Hockey Club?  Man... all the marketing power in the world and this is what they've come up with... unbelievable. 

its temporary, with the draft coming uo, they need something, the only thing likely permanent is the color scheme, name, jersey all temporary