Euro 2024 GDT

Italy survives giving up the fastest ever goal in EURO history and beats Albania 2-1.  

Much to the satisfaction of @RupertKBD, I'm sure.  :classic_happy:

The Italian squad has the coolest names in the tournament:  Pellegrini, Bastoni, Barella and the rest.  Very musical, like the language.

Poland/Netherlands,  Slovenia/Denmark and Serbia/England tomorrow.

The Serbia/England game is on my watch list.   Will England live up to massive expectations?  Will Serbian fans go berserk?  Starts at noon.    

• Thanks 1

Netherlands started off strong but Poland surprised with the first goal. Then things got slow and the Dutch team was playing with five on the back. Poland was looking good, to be honest. Netherlands’ got lucky with their first goal but their second goal by Weghorst was pretty good. The latter half of the second half got more interesting with the Dutch subs.

Netherlands is still making the same mistakes as before, unfortunately. I don’t see them beating France. They might be able to beat Austria. A third place is very possible. If they revert to their slow, defensive style, possibly second. They need Frankie. He isn’t the superstar people hyped him up to be when he first showed up on the world stage (in Barça), but he has been developing slowly but surely. He can help pick up the pace and provide faster plays and pockets of opportunities.

Edited by Steev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steev said:

Netherlands started off strong but Poland surprised with the first goal. Then things got slow and the Dutch team was playing with five on the back. Poland was looking good, to be honest. Netherlands’ got lucky with their first goal but their second goal by Weghorst was pretty good. The latter half of the second half got more interesting with the Dutch subs.

Netherlands is still making the same mistakes as before, unfortunately. I don’t see them beating France. They might be able to beat Austria. A third place is very possible. If they revert to their slow, defensive style, possibly second. They need Frankie. He isn’t the superstar people hyped him up to be when he first showed up on the world stage (in Barça), but he has been developing slowly but surely. He can help pick up the pace and provide faster plays and pockets of opportunities.

Yeah, 2-1 over a Polish side that didn't include Lewandowski is a bit underwhelming. I agree that they're in tough against France....they need to beat Austria if they want to advance to the Knockout stage.

Of course, that might not be so easy either....The Austrians in qualifying and warm ups have beaten teams like Italy, Germany, Slovakia, Sweden and Serbia....and I've heard a couple of pundits call them their "dark horse" pick....

47 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, 2-1 over a Polish side that didn't include Lewandowski is a bit underwhelming. I agree that they're in tough against France....they need to beat Austria if they want to advance to the Knockout stage.

Of course, that might not be so easy either....The Austrians in qualifying and warm ups have beaten teams like Italy, Germany, Slovakia, Sweden and Serbia....and I've heard a couple of pundits call them their "dark horse" pick....

Just fyi, the four best third-place teams will move onto the knockout stage.

It’s very possible Netherlands will be in that group. If memory serves, it has happened before 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Steev said:

Just fyi, the four best third-place teams will move onto the knockout stage.

It’s very possible Netherlands will be in that group. If memory serves, it has happened before 

I keep forgetting about that....mainly because 2 teams going up and 2 teams not advancing just makes too much sense.... :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I keep forgetting about that....mainly because 2 teams going up and 2 teams not advancing just makes too much sense.... :classic_laugh:

yeah it’s a weird setup. But i’m trying to fact-check myself regarding Netherlands making it as a best in third-place group before and can’t find it. Will do a bit more research later

• Cheers 1

Serbia gave the English more trouble than I expected, but a win is a win. (Besides, I thought Kane was unlucky not to make it 2-nil)

On another note, It was great to see Christian Eriksen score for the Danes, exactly 1100 days after collapsing on the field and needing lifesaving intervention....

• Thanks 1

I thought the first half of the England/Serbia game was kind of a tactical snore-fest highlighted by a terrific header by Bellingham.

During the intermission the Serbs seem to realize that they were down a goal and weren't likely to score by playing eleven men in their own box and so came out flying.  They probably deserved a draw but that's the way it goes.

And in case you were wondering like I was:

image.png.c9aad68d6f8de74d2cedfd5e2d66a2fe.png

3 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Lukaku had 2 goals disallowed Belgium loses 1-0

So we have our first major upset of the tournament.  

And it seems to be the biggest upset in Euro history:

Per FOX Sports research, it's the biggest upset by FIFA ranking differential in Euro history. 

Belgium was ranked No. 3 in FIFA men's world rankings entering the match, while Slovakia was ranked No. 48. That is a difference of 45 spots, unseating Finland's upset over Denmark at Euro 2020 (a 44-spot rankings difference) for the title of biggest European Championship upset since FIFA rankings were introduced in 1992.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/belgium-stunned-by-slovakia-10-with-var-denying-lukaku-twice-at-euro-2024

• Thanks 1

So I'm at work and didn't get to watch England - Denmark this morning, but I was refreshing the live tracker on the Sportsnet webpage.

I noticed that at about the 70th minute, Southgate subbed out Kane, Saka and Foden. I'm not familiar with the names that replaced these three, but I'm wondering if that was an indication that England were content with a draw and made moves to ensure that would happen?