[Speculation] Canucks Rumors: Vancouver interested in signing Brandon Duhaime

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Joshua put up 244 hits in 63 games, good enough for the ninth most hits this season. Duhaim put up 208 in 80 games. Bit of a drop off in terms of hits per game, sure.

If it's a physical player you want though, he'll do. 

201 hits in 80 games for the Wild in 2021-2022.

146 hits in 56 games in 2022-2023. 

208 hits for the Wild and Avs in 2023-2024. 

Averages out to probably hitting roughly 200+ hits across each full season if he's healthy. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/hockey-stats-nhl/en/profile.php?player=48348

What's really impressive is Nashville's Jeremy Lauzon leading the hit parade with 387 hits in 79 games as a D. 

I think outside of his physical presence replacing Joshua’s pk role  is big.

and he could fit our system quite well

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Duhaime makes a lot of sense.  Just wouldn't want him to necessarily be the answer to our Joshua replacement on the 3rd line.  If anything he should be considered a major upgrade to our 4th line. 

The other 4th liner that I'd like to see is Mark Kastelic out of OTT.  6'3" 233lbs RH centre that also hits a lot, but is strong on the dot (54.4% this past year).

That's 2/3 of a very strong 4th line.

• Cheers 1

Doesn't have any offense at all really, but if he can fill other roles, I'd be okay with it. Not a Joshua replacement really, given, the drastic difference in offensive output, but we knew we'd have to downgrade after this year.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Doesn't have any offense at all really, but if he can fill other roles, I'd be okay with it. Not a Joshua replacement really, given, the drastic difference in offensive output, but we knew we'd have to downgrade after this year.

I'd give Podkolzin the opportunity next to Blueger and Garland to start, then maybe address it in season if it isn't working out.

I'd focus on upgrading our 4th line to add more size and grit.  Duhaime would be a great start there.

• ThereItIs 1

It’s time the Canucks make the Roussel, Lappierre, Higgins, Torres type acquisitions. We have the skill (lacking 1 more top 6 winger however. But we definitely need the grit and size in the bottom 6. We saw what a physical Zadorav does in the playoffs and players that can hit and grind like Lindholm/Joshua/Garland were effective. We need less passive players in the bottom 6 and more players that can bring the heat.

36 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He doesn't replace Joshua's production but I reckon be could do everything else Joshua did this season

Having a player like him on the fourth line actually opens up a potentially different look for the third line next season too

Edited by Coconuts

11 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

It’s time the Canucks make the Roussel, Lappierre, Higgins, Torres type acquisitions. We have the skill (lacking 1 more top 6 winger however. But we definitely need the grit and size in the bottom 6. We saw what a physical Zadorav does in the playoffs and players that can hit and grind like Lindholm/Joshua/Garland were effective. We need less passive players in the bottom 6 and more players that can bring the heat.

UFA signings = Duhaime (COL) and Carrier (VGK).  Both big and gritty guys that hit, and hit often.

Trade = Kastelic (OTT). 

Kastelic = 6'4" 233lbs, 126 hits in 63 games

Duhaime = 6'0" 200lbs, 207 hits in 80 games

Carrier = 6'2" 220lbs, 89 hits in 39 games

Podkolzin takes Joshua's spot on the 3rd line.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Duhaime makes a lot of sense.  Just wouldn't want him to necessarily be the answer to our Joshua replacement on the 3rd line.  If anything he should be considered a major upgrade to our 4th line. 

The other 4th liner that I'd like to see is Mark Kastelic out of OTT.  6'3" 233lbs RH centre that also hits a lot, but is strong on the dot (54.4% this past year).

That's 2/3 of a very strong 4th line.

i like Kastelic a lot too but i feel he'll be expensive.

He'll get at least a Noel Accari contract (3 x 2m) but, if you factor the rising cap this year vs last and that the UFA market is very weak at C i wouldn't surprised if he gets a 3 x 2.5m contract.

If the Canucks can't re-sign Blueger and they feel Kastelic has another level in him to become a potential 3C than i'd do it. I'd trust the management group on this one

Money ball....

There is a reason we can't afford to keep Joshua, thus finding a replacement for him is NOT going to be ready made... neither was Joshua, when they picked him up. 

Nevertheless we still need toughness and player, who can play physical, and if we get a player that can play physical and PK for $1.1M its a massive win in my book. 
whether he replaces Joshua or not depands on what other players can do eith from within (Podz, Sissons, Raty etc.) or by another trade/pick up. 

Joshua going definitely leaves a hole, but we should not just consider one physical player, but several in our line up. 4th line would have been great with a more physical player on it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe it's Joshua by committee, Podz for scoring and forechecking, others for the grinding 

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Would be awesome if Podz could take that next step. He hasn't really show it yet in Abby or Vancouver, but you do see flashes now and then.

I think Miller is correct, if Podz can put it together he'll be a beast.

It's still worth a full year gamble on him. I just hope they give him enough rope to improve.

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Lower end Joshua replacement? I remember the rumour being that Minny's ask was high and that plenty of teams were interested. 

He'll probably garner quite a bit of UFA interest if true. 

Very physical and fast, not sure he has the hands to replace Joshua, but if podz can step up we can do it by committee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Money ball....

There is a reason we can't afford to keep Joshua, thus finding a replacement for him is NOT going to be ready made... neither was Joshua, when they picked him up. 

Nevertheless we still need toughness and player, who can play physical, and if we get a player that can play physical and PK for $1.1M its a massive win in my book. 
whether he replaces Joshua or not depands on what other players can do eith from within (Podz, Sissons, Raty etc.) or by another trade/pick up. 

Joshua going definitely leaves a hole, but we should not just consider one physical player, but several in our line up. 4th line would have been great with a more physical player on it. 

He wasn’t even ready at the start of the season. I have full confidence the coaching staff can get Podz to be a suitable replacement this year. 

We know he has hands, is faster than Joshua and actually more physical. His defence was the focus in Abby. I expect him to start slow then breakout like Hogs by mid year, and no one will care Joshua is gone. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

Very physical and fast, not sure he has the hands to replace Joshua, but if podz can step up we can do it by committee.

I think they're going to be hard pressed to replace what Joshua brings in a single player, but that's not really a big problem imo. Teams are better served having such elements sprinkled throughout the lineup anyway.

They don't need a player to step onto the third line and bring everything Joshua did, they mostly need a player to step in and provide complimentary offense. Having players like Duhaime on the fourth line, the second and third pairings, that could do it. 

Ideally they find a way to sprinkle some of that kind of grit into the top six too, but top six players with that sort of element to their game are always in high demand. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think they're going to be hard pressed to replace what Joshua brings in a single player, but that's not really a big problem imo. Teams are better served having such elements sprinkled throughout the lineup anyway.

They don't need a player to step onto the third line and bring everything Joshua did, they mostly need a player to step in and provide complimentary offense. Having players like Duhaime on the fourth line, the second and third pairings, that could do it. 

Ideally they find a way to sprinkle some of that kind of grit into the top six too, but top six players with that sort of element to their game are always in high demand. 

Podz will surprise imho 

Duhaime is a physical beast.  Not as tall and sturdy like Joshua is, but hes more explosive and imo hits harder because of it.

Still a bit of a project but I think him and Tocchett would understand each other well.  Him and Podz play very similar w their aggressiveness and could be great influences for each other.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Podz will surprise imho 

I think he'll certainly get the rope to show that he could be more

6 minutes ago, Goose said:

Duhaime is a physical beast.  Not as tall and sturdy like Joshua is, but hes more explosive and imo hits harder because of it.

Still a bit of a project but I think him and Tocchett would understand each other well.  Him and Podz play very similar w their aggressiveness and could be great influences for each other.

It varies depending on the source you're using, but they're actually about the same size. 

Canucks have Joshua listed at 6'3", 206 on their website. https://www.nhl.com/canucks/roster

Avs have Duhaime listed at 6'2", 200 on theirs. https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/roster

The size difference is honestly pretty negligible. 

Edited by Coconuts

36 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

He wasn’t even ready at the start of the season. I have full confidence the coaching staff can get Podz to be a suitable replacement this year. 

We know he has hands, is faster than Joshua and actually more physical. His defence was the focus in Abby. I expect him to start slow then breakout like Hogs by mid year, and no one will care Joshua is gone. 

That's exactly my prediction for Podz next season.   Him with Blueger and Hogs could make a great (and cheap) 3rd line very much in the Garland & Joshua mold.

If Garland doesn't get moved i'd like to see him get a long look with Miller and Brock

• Like 2

We need both Joshua and Duhaime together. Duhaime cannot replace Joshua and I always wanted Duhaime 2yrs ago due to his grit and physical play and willing to stick up for his team mates. With both Joshua and Duhaime will make a difference for us. Let's hope we can sign both guys!!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

That's exactly my prediction for Podz next season.   Him with Blueger and Hogs could make a great (and cheap) 3rd line very much in the Garland & Joshua mold.

If Garland doesn't get moved i'd like to see him get a long look with Miller and Brock

Agreed. And yes Garland has earned a move up the lineup for sure.