[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

6 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

This, big Z will flourish in boston, same with elias ...they got alot better today. from what i read and heard jake was a cry baby alot, and was very inconsistent, and now we have him, if rick cant fix him, no one can lol

Did Boston tell you this?

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Inconsistent and "crying" are two different things.

Many players are inconsistent.

The TSN guys also said this is the opportunity he needs to fix that in his career and to elevate his play.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Combover said:

Yeah but always expecting guys to over perform gets you a lottery ticket.

The center depth is awful as is our D 

we added more middle wingers and a d that played 35 games last season

there’s big splash, and splash

we made ripples. 

How is Miller, Petey, Suter, Blueger, Aman, etc not decent centre depth? Nothing wrong with that 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Debrusk is an upgrade over Kuzmenko
Forbort can match what Cole brought
Sherwood I think can be an upgrade over Lafferty

Heinen should be an upgrade over Mikheyev

We made some small upgrades. Got younger and faster.

Our D still needs work though to even match what we had last season. I’m hoping they have a trade in the works that can raise the overall ceiling.

I think we essentially raised our floor...I like the speed, grit and physicality Debrusk, Heinen, & Sherwood bring.

For a systems oriented coach, I think Tocchet will like this bunch. Debrusk might give him fits from time to time though. LOL 

I'm not sold on Forbort over Cole..but for half the price I guess he's worth taking a flyer on.

His contract could almost be buried in the minors if he doesn't work out and it's only for 1 year.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

How are our top 6 forwards worse when Lindholm barely played for us (especially in the top 6) and same for Mikheyev? 

Last season top 6:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Mikheyev - Petey - Hoglander

Replace Mik with DeBrusk, how is that not better? Even if you argued Lindholm should've been in the top 6, then DeBrusk replacing him is a wash since Lindholm was terrible for us besides a small playoff sample.

Slot Garland into the top 6 to replace Suter and it's much better. 

Going off of how we ended the season.  Basically our playoffs.

Ok, so you can't compare the team to the version of the Canucks that finished the season to where we are now. Compare them to the start of last season.

Teams load up at the deadline with guys that they know they can't afford to keep. Would be nice to have some wiggle room at the deadline to add again. 

• ThereItIs 1

Got younger when a lot of teams got older. I can't see one contract on the team that couldn't be traded in my view...lot's of flexibility. Mgmt has accumulated some depth so hopefully that pays off. 

High end skill is still the big question so they need internal improvement from their core and especially EP.

top/middle six still available….

skinner

tyler johnson

mantha

don’t know that we have the cap… but tarasenko is also available still. 

Not sure we move on anything defence wise but…

klingberg 

barrie

zaitsev

Brodie 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does he play defence?

he's basically a table hockey player who just whacks in a couple dozen power play tap ins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moose said:

How are our top 6 forwards worse when Lindholm barely played for us (especially in the top 6) and same for Mikheyev? 

Last season top 6:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Mikheyev - Petey - Hoglander

Replace Mik with DeBrusk, how is that not better? Even if you argued Lindholm should've been in the top 6, then DeBrusk replacing him is a wash since Lindholm was terrible for us besides a small playoff sample.

Slot Garland into the top 6 to replace Suter and it's much better. 

Our top-6 is unquestionably better than it was last year.

So is our bottom 6

We still have a huge problem on D. We desperately need a puck mover on the 2nd pair. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Keep in mind, if we signed this guy, it was Clark's decision and it's because he sees something in him.

Considering how many Vezina caliber goalies he's turned out, just be excited about any goalie that comes into the organization. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Overall our forward group is looking more well balanced and deeper. I'd also imagine that Heinen and Sherwood can move up the line up when needed from time to time.

The main empty spot that needs to be filled now is that second pairing RD. It's just day one, so let's see what else management can cook up.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Going off of how we ended the season.  Basically our playoffs.

That's not a fair comparison. Two key players were added during the season and the previous team was retaining salary. 

You have to compare our roster to the start of last season. 

2 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Got younger when a lot of teams got older. I can't see one contract on the team that couldn't be traded in my view...lot's of flexibility. Mgmt has accumulated some depth so hopefully that pays off. 

High end skill is still the big question so they need internal improvement from their core and especially EP.

Yeah. Plus the latter half of the Debrusk deal looks buyout friendly. Unless Im getting it backwards

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

We still have a huge problem on D. We desperately need a puck mover on the 2nd pair. 

They may Have to separate Hronek and Hughes

• ThereItIs 1

Was it a good Free Agency?

Re-signed: Hronek, Joshua, Myers, Blueger, and soon to be Silovs

Signed: DeBrusk, Heinen, Forbort, Sherwood, Smith, Patera

It wasn't terrible, Canucks have to plan for future years and needed to bargain hunt. Let's see how this new roster does under Tocchet. Can Petey turn DeBrusk into a 30-goal scorer?

2 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Our top-6 is unquestionably better than it was last year.

So is our bottom 6

I really wonder how much klingberg would come in at…. Ghost is also still out there I believe.