[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

Boeser and Forbert are friends apparently and were training together when Alvin called him. 

PA said Desharnais talked about how he feels he has another step with Foote. He also mention how passionate the fans were during the EDM/VAN series that helped attract him. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would rather some better skaters on the blueline after watching the most recent playoffs but we're clearly going for size. I think we'll split Hughes and Hronek because our other D are a lot worse than last year. Bunch of bottom pairing guys and two top elite defencemen.

Hughes - Desharnais

Forbot - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

That's a bold prediction.....Desharnais was PA's last consideration and is not experienced.....do you think he'll be playing top minutes or QH will be playing less minutes?

QH and Hronek won't be separated.  They'll just play big minutes.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boeser and Forbert are friends apparently and were training together when Alvin called him. 

PA said Desharnais talked about how he feels he has another step with Foote. He also mention how passionate the fans were during the EDM/VAN series that helped attract him. 

I'm happy PA said Boeser will be healthy and ready to go at training camp.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Okay boys and girls....wrap your heads around this:

Tyler Myers is far and away the 3rd best skater on the defense.....and possibly 2nd best....:classic_wacko:

It’s the weak spot, for sure.

Of course, we got Forbort-Desharnais for 1.5 mil (one Kiefer Sherwood) less than Zadorov. 

And with that fine collection of PK’ers it ensures Hughes-Hronek are fresh to tilt the ice 5 on 5. 

I won’t say it’s perfect - far from it - but with discipline from the forwards it could be effective.

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

That's a bold prediction.....Desharnais was PA's last consideration and is not experienced.....do you think he'll be playing top minutes or QH will be playing less minutes?

QH and Hronek won't be separated.  They'll just play big minutes.

The coaching staff and VD both felt like he had another gear when they talked. Not sure that high though. If all works out he could be our Joshua find in D and bloom into a 4/5D. 

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

It’s the weak spot, for sure.

Of course, we got Forbort-Desharnais for 1.5 mil (one Kiefer Sherwood) less than Zadorov. 

And with that fine collection of PK’ers it ensures Hughes-Hronek are fresh to tilt the ice 5 on 5. 

I won’t say it’s perfect - far from it - but with discipline from the forwards it could be effective.

I'm actually okay with it as well....just thought it was noteworthy....

• Cheers 1

Interesting thing stood out on PA's press conference. He said he wants to keep below the cap. Because when you are in LTIR its dollar in, dollar out. Part of the reason we didn't see a lot from the guys on the farm was it was hard to bring in players for a look. Getting cap flexibility also means you'll see more players from Abby.

So I hope that stays that way.

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Debrusk-Petey-Hoglander

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood

Aman-PDG

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Mikheyev

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Lafferty

PDG-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

Juulsen 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Cole

Demko

Silovs

Demko

DeSmith 

Hmmm. Sligthly better overall offensive depth. Slightly worse off defensive depth. Let's see if there's more to come.

Edited by NHLer

The issue we had last year by and large was teams with speed splitting the D and the stretch pass allowing a forechecker/speedy forward to walk our stay at home D pairings.  Zadorov's skating somewhat mitigated that.

Our defense in fact got less mobile.  Sure, the 5-6 can crack skulls but a speedy forecheck is going to bury them.  The 3-4 i going to be very much the same.

I have some fears about our teams issues with speed being exposed because while this team looks amazing for pre 2005 hockey on the blue line, I don't see a qualified partner for Petey and the NHL has shown that mobility on the blue line is the only means of success in the playoffs which we currently don't have outside of Honky and Huggy

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Interesting thing stood out on PA's press conference. He said he wants to keep below the cap. Because when you are in LTIR its dollar in, dollar out. Part of the reason we didn't see a lot from the guys on the farm was it was hard to bring in players for a look. Getting cap flexibility also means you'll see more players from Abby.

So I hope that stays that way.

Yes,  I’m sure someone else can explain it better.. but if we can start the year outside of LTIR, it becomes a lot more useful. 

We know this isn’t the roster we’ll go into the playoffs with (if we make playoffs, haha.) so that flexibility is more than a luxury.

Content with how today went.  Coaching staff did wonders last year elevating the game of many players and no reason to think it won’t happen again with the current players as well as the new guys in the room.  With Brock FA next year, OEL’s dead cap going up a bunch, they need to maintain flexibility with some shorter term deals, and they did.

-GJ

• Cheers 1

Just ran through all the signings today. Holy shit, teams over spent. 

Wennberg 5 million lol

Stephenson 6.25

Monohan 5.5 

lindholm 7.75 

no wonder we didn’t bother with a center 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Debrusk-Petey-Hoglander

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood

Aman-PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

Juulsen 

Don't forget that coaching and management have high hopes for Joshua. We already know he can play with Garland on the third, but now there's the opportunity to swap Heinen and Dak if Joshua continues to show upside.

I'm not sold on DeBrusk or Heinen being the winger for Petey, though.