[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

That defence is Yuge...i havent taken the time to compare but its got to be the biggest D in the NHL.  Tocchet/Gonchar/Foote system as a framework this will be a nasty team to play against.  The additions of Heinen, Sherwood and Debrusk enforce this.

Honestly I fell in love with Zadorov.  He helped them turn into the bullies instead of the other way around.  He is a unique player. It is disappointing to see him go.  When it comes to pure hockey though, defending, passing, penalty killing....are we really that much worse off than last year behind the blue line?  At some point in the next couple years Im guessing Willander will be brought in.

It was a good rebound by management. They addressed needs.

Also, as much as I loved Zad, Desharnais was good for EDM and was critical on the PK. That's going to make our PK even better. We have a good blueline. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Also, as much as I loved Zad, Desharnais was good for EDM and was critical on the PK. That's going to make our PK even better. We have a good blueline. 

I thought we could take advantage of him when Desharnais was on the ice but he always seemed to get the puck out on us. I’m optimistic about the signing 

• Like 2

All in all not a bad day. Losing Zads hurts but overall I think we are a deeper more abrasive team. Debrusk may gel with EP and his contract runs through his prime. The D is big and strong. Time to continue the quest for another top six winger but happy management stayed clear of some of the stupid contacts this UFA.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I thought we could take advantage of him when Desharnais was on the ice but he always seemed to get the puck out on us. I’m optimistic about the signing 

I was just about to write this same thing.  Every time the puck went into his corner i was hoping they could exploit him but he kept winning the battles.  As someone else mentioned maybe he can take another step forward under our coaches - the Joshua of defence....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

We have better depth for sure but we lack a true second pairing. Lots of good bottom pair defensemen but we need another bonafide top 4. I suspect a trade could happen at some point during the year, perhaps the trade deadline. Let's hope the defense can remain healthy.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

It's a good signing, imo, has a great work ethic and late bloomer.

He'll become even better under Foote and Gonchar just like Myers. 

• ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

About $1.9M left to sign Silovs.

More than that, Tolopilo is currently calculated in our cap at a little over 800k, Silovs will sign a one way deal for about 800 - 850k for one to two years. It will be about a wash.

1 minute ago, JC2 said:

We have better depth for sure but we lack a true second pairing. Lots of good bottom pair defensemen but we need another bonafide top 4. I suspect a trade could happen at some point during the year, perhaps the trade deadline. Let's hope the defense can remain healthy.

Agree. We do need that missing true top 4. I'm confident that will be addressed when we get the right opportunity to do it. 

48 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Honestly, I'm starting to see the vision here.

Physical, yuge defense and fast, hard-hitting forechecking two-way wingers that are annoying to play against.

Tocchet hockey. All of these are playoff moves.

And TBL hockey and Vegas Hockey and the Bruins when they were at their best. Good formula for success. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

I was just about to write this same thing.  Every time the puck went into his corner i was hoping they could exploit him but he kept winning the battles.  As someone else mentioned maybe he can take another step forward under our coaches - the Joshua of defence....

Foote and Gonchar will help him improve.

• Cheers 1

I'm glad that the only long-term contracts handed out were to Pettersson, Hronek and DeBrusk.

Joshua has 4 years, but I'm also glad the Canucks are keeping him around.

Myers $3 x 3-year deal looks real good now. Willander will be with the team by the time Myers' contract expires.

Desharnais is a monster, and he's only 28, so they might extend him if he does his job.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm glad that the only long-term contracts handed out were to Pettersson, Hronek and DeBrusk.

Joshua has 4 years, but I'm also glad the Canucks are keeping him around.

Myers $3 x 3-year deal looks real good now. Willander will be with the team by the time Myers' contract expires.

Desharnais is a monster, and he's only 28, so they might extend him if he does his job.

And except for Myers, all in their 20s as well. Lots of good bets, while maintaining flexibility

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Honestly that series against the oilers I thought desharnais was pretty good and as big as zadorov. He was better than nurse and ceci by a mile. 

He was the most annoying to me after Ekholm-Bouchard. 

I like that management obviously got a good at him and Sherwood in high pressure games. 

• Cheers 1

After today I think it's safe to say that on paper the team is worse defensively but better offensively which I imagine will cancel each other out to some degree in terms of end  results. 

I really like the teams philosophy going forward of a balanced forward group that forechecks hard, can roll 4 lines, is good in their own zone and dishes out quite a bit of physicality as opposed to being a group that relies on a relatively small group of very high end forwards. That along with a big physical punishing defense core. Whether this gets them better results next year or not remains to be seen but I like the idea behind everything. 

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Zadorov is a career 3rd pairing guy - a #4 at best and Cole is there as well at this point of his career. 

Zadorov, Cole, Soucy, Myers, Forbort… they’re all 17-19 minute a night bottom-4 defencemen. 

Juulsen is a step below.  A  14-15 minute 6-7 guy. 

I’d agree that it’s worse, but it’s not much worse… and it’s pretty even to what we went into the season with last year.

That’s the point it’s worse you can’t tell me with the moves we made and the cap we spent you are at the moment better than we were at the end of last season. We also just tossed out 7 years for a guy that had the worse statistically ppg in his career.. and we are prolly going to put him with ep? Last time we put a 40-50ish guy with ep for 5mil how did that work out? Debrusk is not the type of player ep will thrive with. Ep needs a playmaker that can set him up also for his shot. Hoglander and debrusk neither have the playmaking skill or ability 

• Haha 2