[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

After today I think it's safe to say that on paper the team is worse defensively but better offensively which I imagine will cancel each other out to some degree in terms of end  results. 

I really like the teams philosophy going forward of a balanced forward group that forechecks hard, can roll 4 lines, is good in their own zone and dishes out quite a bit of physicality as opposed to being a group that relies on a relatively small group of very high end forwards. That along with a big physical punishing defense core. Whether this gets them better results next year or not remains to be seen but I like the idea behind everything. 

Im pretty thrilled with the Heinen signing. He slid up to play on the first line with crosby at times and crosby liked having him there.

not a fan of desharnais but im sure foote and gonchar know what theyre doing and see something 

the thing that makes me a bit pessimistic is the puck moving on the back end. we were pretty moving the puck whenever QH wasnt on the ice. we definitely didn't address that. 

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [PGT]] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Xxxx/Hog - Petey - Debrusk 

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Joshua - Blueger - Garland 

Heinen - Åman - Sherwood 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers 

Forbort - Vinny D 

I’d really like someone to fit in on the left of Petey but I’m not convinced we have the cap or assets to do that. 

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s the point it’s worse you can’t tell me with the moves we made and the cap we spent you are at the moment better than we were at the end of last season. We also just tossed out 7 years for a guy that had the worse statistically ppg in his career.. and we are prolly going to put him with ep? Last time we put a 40-50ish guy with ep for 5mil how did that work out? Debrusk is not the type of player ep will thrive with. Ep needs a playmaker that can set him up also for his shot. Hoglander and debrusk neither have the playmaking skill or ability 

Idk Debrusk has 138 goals and 128 assists I was showing my kids his highlights and he had lots of nice plays setting up goals and good hands. He could easily be a good set up/finisher guy with Petey. Watch his highlights half of them are set ups... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Honkin Hronek said:

Although, I’m wondring if Sherwood or Heinen can play the Jannik Hansen role with Petey and Debrusk. Both are fast, good on the forecheck and can pot the odd goal here and there. 

Sherwood shoots right - I know I bring it up more than it necessitates, but he could absolutely have a little more utility up the lineup if he clicks.

2 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Heinen - Åman - Sherwood 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers 

Forbort - Vinny D 

I’d really like someone to fit in on the left of Petey but I’m not convinced we have the cap or assets to do that. 

I'd like to see

Heinen/Hoglander Petey, Debrusk

Heinen/Hog, Miller, Boes

DJ, Blue, Gar

Sher, Suter, Podz 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Heinen - Åman - Sherwood 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers 

Forbort - Vinny D 

I think we’ll see Heinen swap out with Suter at times, nice options to have, great depth.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Keifer Sherwood is going to make us better as well. This was a good signing. 

Here's a great article from April  ...

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashville-predators/latest-news/why-predators-energy-bug-kiefer-sherwood-deserves-a-contract-extension

Sherwood got high praise from coach Andrew Brunette ...

"He's been part of our identity... and he has the ability to make plays," Predators head coach Andrew Brunette said. "He's been a scorer his whole life, and you've got to give him a lot of credit to play the way he's playing. Not everybody can score all the time at this level. But if you're able to find another asset in your game like he has – now, he's our energy bug, he finishes checks, and he's a relentless player." 

Nashville swung for the fences with Stamkos, Skjei and Marchessault- and damn that’s the swing to end all swings. 

But it costs you in bargain glue-guys like Sherwood. I’m Sher they wood have loved to bring him back. 

Can’t fault the Preds if course.. that’s a hall of famer, a guy who’s going to get his jersey retired.. and a top pair defence man.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Can he get an offer sheet?

Some teams could.  Below $2.3M is a 3rd rd pick.  Above $2.3M is a 2nd rd pick.

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Nashville swung for the fences with Stamkos, Skjei and Marchessault- and damn that’s the swing to end all swings. 

But it costs you in bargain glue-guys like Sherwood. I’m Sher the wood have loved to bring him back. 

Can’t fault the Preds if course.. that’s a hall of famer, a guy who’s going to get his jersey retired.. and a top pair defence man.

True. This is still good fallout for us. Especially from that bottom identity perspective. Fills the Lafferty void with a scoring upside. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s the point it’s worse you can’t tell me with the moves we made and the cap we spent you are at the moment better than we were at the end of last season. We also just tossed out 7 years for a guy that had the worse statistically ppg in his career.. and we are prolly going to put him with ep? Last time we put a 40-50ish guy with ep for 5mil how did that work out? Debrusk is not the type of player ep will thrive with. Ep needs a playmaker that can set him up also for his shot. Hoglander and debrusk neither have the playmaking skill or ability 

Is Florida better or worse than the end of the season?

You can’t compare a team a few hours after free agency opens to a team after the TDL. 
‘We hadn’t even signed Suter at this point last year, didn’t have Lafferty or DeSmith much less Lindholm or Zadorov. 
We are better positioned than we were at this point last year.
We have some cap flexibility and essentially have a functional roster filled without counting for any youth moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Heinen - Åman - Sherwood 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers 

Forbort - Vinny D 

Please.... Get Aman out of there.... He's so limited and sucks at FO... In an ideal world for us, Blueger would be our 4C... Hope we can land a RH 3C soon...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Suter - Miller - Boeser 

Heinen - Åman - Sherwood 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Myers 

Forbort - Vinny D 

Still early. Fat lady hasn't sung yet. Got two months to get the wrinkles out. A lot can happen in that time ..