[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Ok I've now stopped freaking out over losing Z. 

Objectively speaking. This is a better roster than the beginning of last season correct? 

We added Z and Lindholm mid season but I believe we started and played the majority of the first half

Kuz Petey Mik 

Hogz Miller Boeser 

Joshua Bleuger Garland

Lafferty Suter Beauvillier 

Hughes Hronek

Myers Soucy 

Cole Juulsen

We now have

Suter Miller Boeser 

DeBrusk Petey Hogz

Garland Bleuger Joshua 

Sherwood Heinen Podz

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Foburt Desharnais 

Seems like a slight upgrade? 

With cap space as well 

Can Heinen really play C and is decent at FO?? I just feel Aman is still at AHL level 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team has a very solid top defense pairing and then a decent but underwhelming collection of 5-6 range defensemen. 

Did Alvin inquire into Roy, Montour or any other actual top four defensemen?

I think it is fair to call Soucy a 4. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

We didn't lose out on Zadorov, Zadorov lost out on us 

Not our fault he wanted 6x6, seems the whole bit about him being willing to take a discount was a load of crap 

He signed for $5M at 6 years 

2 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

We're capped out, outside of a Hoglander trade I don't really see how

The team has money, trading Hoglander would be foolish. With a 22 man roster with one goalie there is 3.5 mil. There could be another 750k if the team wanted to play the season with a 22 man roster. There is money for trades of need be or other moves. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does feel like that forward lineup is more balanced than last year.  If only one of those C’s was a righty. 
Still some interesting names in trade market like Pinto and after that Chychrun deal, I want to make lots of deals with Staos. 
‘The D is the wonder twins and a platoon of non descript large men. 

People should be more excited that PA left some cap flexibility so we don’t get into LTIR. We could actually accrue some cap this year. PA is already a wild man with no cap, imagine what he will be like with some cap flexibility. Managerial equivalent of hookers AND Blow. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Haha 1

Not bad, in over 13 hours this thread picked up 50 pages.  Fucked if I'm going to bother reading through it all. :classic_laugh:

Suggestion for thread title though: maybe it could include "we did more thing than you can shake a (hockey) stick at!"  🏒

Just now, VanOriginal said:

The team has money, trading Hoglander would be foolish. With a 22 man roster with one goalie there is 3.5 mil. There could be another 750k if the team wanted to play the season with a 22 man roster. There is money for trades of need be or other moves. 

technically 2.5m if silovs gets a 1m deal

but yea i didnt realize poolmans ltir relief wasnt counted yet

we could do something with 2.5m. Maybe suter and a good draft pick for an upgrade at center

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

technically 2.5m if silovs gets a 1m deal

but yea i didnt realize poolmans ltir relief wasnt counted yet

we could do something with 2.5m. Maybe suter and a good draft pick for an upgrade at center

I'd actually like to see us make it under the cap so that we don't have to dabble in LTIR space and actually be able to start accruing cap space during the year for a real "treat" come TDL time.

• Like 1

To be honest I'm a bit disapointed. Debrusk is a good add but I don't see that we secured an impactful scoring winger like Guentzel or Toffoli to play with Petey. I'm kinda Meh about Alvins work today in free agency.

15 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

We can go over cap and deal with LTIR that happens every year. You always have more LTIR at the end of camp than when cap opens, we're fine, there's still moves to make and players to add.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Keifer Sherwood is going to make us better as well. This was a good signing. 

Here's a great article from April  ...

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashville-predators/latest-news/why-predators-energy-bug-kiefer-sherwood-deserves-a-contract-extension

Sherwood got high praise from coach Andrew Brunette ...

"He's been part of our identity... and he has the ability to make plays," Predators head coach Andrew Brunette said. "He's been a scorer his whole life, and you've got to give him a lot of credit to play the way he's playing. Not everybody can score all the time at this level. But if you're able to find another asset in your game like he has – now, he's our energy bug, he finishes checks, and he's a relentless player." 

I woulda have loved to steal carrier from them too but Sherwood a nice kittle

signing for sure

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We didn't lose out on Zadorov, Zadorov lost out on us 

Not our fault he wanted 5x6, seems the whole bit about him being willing to take a discount was a load of crap 

Me first vs. Team first.

Management likely knew that and wasn't going to budge to disrupt the team first culture. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

We're not capped out and Hoglander isn't going anywhere. In terms of guys on the team who would be traded, he's about 8th or 9th down that list. Unless a team is willing to put up a 3/4, 23 - 24 year old Dman who's at the same pay rate, trading Hoglander makes less than zero sense. That's not how winning teams are built 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

If they didn't sign Petey, you might as well blow up the team and start over again.

Im really hoping his second half was due to injury. If not, yeah we should have blown it up. And by blowing up I mean trading him

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We're not capped out and Hoglander isn't going anywhere. In terms of guys on the team who would be traded, he's about 8th or 9th down that list. Unless a team is willing to put up a 3/4, 23 - 24 year old Dman who's at the same pay rate, trading Hoglander makes less than zero sense. That's not how winning teams are built 

yea i misread puckpedia, thought we only had 1m of cap space left, in reality we will have 2.5 after signing silovs

if we moved out a league minimum player that realistically gives us 3.4m of cap space when all is said and done

if we're willing to part with a draft pick, theres always potential for retention. 3.4m can also go a long way later in the summer if theres a good ufa that doesnt have a contract yet

re: hoglander, i dont want to trade him, but its going to be pretty rough everyone their raises next year, might be wise to get ahead of it while his value is so high and use him to bring in another rare commodity like a young puck moving defenseman