[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

I don't think the Canucks are done and the roster could still look quite different. My guess is Garland and Podkolzin (and picks) are traded:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - ?

Joshua - Blueger - Sherwood

Heinen - Suter - ?

Bains / Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

? - Juulsen

Brisebois - Friedman

Demko

? / Silovs

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't think the Canucks are done and the roster could still look quite different. My guess is Garland and Podkolzin (and picks) are traded:

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - ?

Joshua - Blueger - Sherwood

Heinen - Suter - ?

Bains / Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

? - Juulsen

Brisebois - Friedman

Demko

? / Silovs

Rather trade Bains or Karlsson and Hogs with a pic to get a 25 goal scorer as Hogs was sorta a no show in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

To be honest I'm a bit disapointed. Debrusk is a good add but I don't see that we secured an impactful scoring winger like Guentzel or Toffoli to play with Petey. I'm kinda Meh about Alvins work today in free agency.

Definitely a “meh” day at the office, but IMO it’s in a good way. 

Certainly a deeper, faster forward group. Improved PK and DeBrusk is a good bet to do better than Mikheyev with Petey. 

Nothing shiny - but also nothing that makes you cringe.  DeBrisk’s AAV is fine for UFA considering what others got - just a little long.  (It’s buyout friendly, apparently, too.) 

Desharnais is the only guy a little overpaid - but it’s a 2x2 for a guy who brings size and PK utility at a valued position. 

The most interesting part is if we can keep Poolman off LTIR, that 2.5 could be worth 5 mil player by mid season. If I’m reading that correctly.  That would be huge.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

price on Necas is coming down 

Garland 

2026 1st 

podz 

for 

Necas

Yep.

I feel like we still need to take a big swing like this if we wanna get to another level and not just stay status quo to last season.

23 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Debrusk is better than 32yo 6m/yr Toffoli. Jake is faster, forechecks hard, and can score. Toffoli is slow and getting slower -oOne dimensional. 

Toffoli was just an example. TBH don't know much about DeBrusk just his stats don;t indicate a high scorer but hey I'm willing to be educated. Hope he turns out to be just the ticket. Maybe my expectations were too high!

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

I feel like we still need to take a big swing like this if we wanna get to another level and not just stay status quo to last season.

I wonder if there's a deal to be made with anaheim for vatrano. maybe even pay them to take poolman at the same time if it's feasible to get out of ltir. 

1 minute ago, Moeknows said:

Toffoli was just an example. TBH don't know much about DeBrusk just his stats don;t indicate a high scorer but hey I'm willing to be educated. Hope he turns out to be just the ticket. Maybe my expectations were too high!

• Upvote 1

Based on what we offered Lindholm (wasn't it 7.5x7) and what he signed for in Boston (7.75x7) he obviously didn't want to be here at all (May he rot in Bean town and have a big fued with the Rat!!!)

21 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

yea i misread puckpedia, thought we only had 1m of cap space left, in reality we will have 2.5 after signing silovs

if we moved out a league minimum player that realistically gives us 3.4m of cap space when all is said and done

if we're willing to part with a draft pick, theres always potential for retention. 3.4m can also go a long way later in the summer if theres a good ufa that doesnt have a contract yet

re: hoglander, i dont want to trade him, but its going to be pretty rough everyone their raises next year, might be wise to get ahead of it while his value is so high and use him to bring in another rare commodity like a young puck moving defenseman

Currently Patera is in as our backup at 775k, he'll be in Abbotsford and Silovs will sign a one way deal for at around 800 - 850k, so basically a wash.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Currently Patera is in as our backup at 775k, he'll be in Abbotsford and Silovs will sign a one way deal for at around 800 - 850k, so basically a wash.

I dont think thats right, im seeing 22/23 roster spots filled, with no backup goalie yet. 1m of cap space + 2.5m of poolman LTIR. 

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I dont think thats right, im seeing 22/23 roster spots filled, with no backup goalie yet. 1m of cap space + 2.5m of poolman LTIR. 

Capfriendly.com shows us at 24 right now, but that's with Poolman.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Capfriendly.com shows us at 24 right now, but that's with Poolman.

Yeah, so if you take Juulsen and Friedman off, that puts us at 22/23. Add 200k or so to Patera for Silovs, and that puts us right around 3.3m in cap space with Poolman on LTIR

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

It's a bit underwhelming but big z sadly isn't worth that. His presence will be missed but they never trusted him with top minutes so they weren't going to pay him that. 

Quite often you expect some overall regression from a team that overachieved like we did last year. That's the challenge to overcome and these new guys may help build things that were missing last year like depth scoring and powerplays. Who knows. It would nice to get someone else of note (skinner - nope oil)but i'd take joshua stepping up and brock/miller keeping pace over a high priced addition. Shocked no offer sheet for silovs.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Yeah, so if you take Juulsen and Friedman off, that puts us at 22/23. Add 200k or so to Patera for Silovs, and that puts us right around 3.3m in cap space with Poolman on LTIR

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, miscounted. Were in good shape right now.

Yup.  We're not done for this coming season.  I think there will be a trade at some point.  Podkolzin being trade bait.  The wings filled up all of a sudden.

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's a bit underwhelming but big z sadly isn't worth that. His presence will be missed but they never trusted him with top minutes so they weren't going to pay him that. 

Quite often you expect some overall regression from a team that overachieved like we did last year. That's the challenge to overcome and these new guys may help build things that were missing last year like depth scoring and powerplays. Who knows. It would nice to get someone else of note (skinner?) but i'd take joshua stepping up and brock/miller keeping pace over a high priced addition. Shocked no offer sheet for silovs.

5mx6 years for a bottom pair defenseman would be as bad of a deal as the 6x6 Myers got

Glad we didn't get it done with Z. He was hilarious to watch, the entertainment value was incredible, but absolutely not worth that kind of money.

Boston fucked up hard locking that much money up in Lindholm and Zadorov. I don't think either player is who they think.

• Like 1