[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see Forbort and Desharnais being penciled into the 5-6 spots. 

I see them being guys that are ahead of Juulsen so we have more depth and he’s not a regular. Juulsen has taken big steps but he should not be a regular in the lineup.

I would take a flyer on Boqvist. He’s still young enough to salvage and the upside is good.

Not angry at this assessment. 🙂

Based on deals that went out today (and excluding Reinhardt) I’d take:

Skinner 3 x 1
Roy: 5.75 x 7

Forbort: 1.5 x 1

and either DeBrusk or Marchessault at 5.5.  Honestly, maybe Debrusk if we can’t afford Heinen and his PK utility. 

It’s actually kinda hard to make a team using the numbers thrown out today - and interesting that our deals really hold up. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Are we better or worse after today? 

No one can answer that yet. It’s all how the players fit into the puzzle.

Based on goal output using last seasons numbers we’re better. But there’s alot more to it then that.

I would also be surprised if we don’t see a couple more moves.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Are we better or worse after today? 

At first glance we are likely a little worse. However all it takes is 2 or 3 guys to have better years and we will be better.

Just 2 or 3 out of:

Hogz

Podz

Joshua

Sherwood

Debrusk

Suter

Forbert

Desharnais

Bluegar

Heinen 

If just 2 or 3 of those guys have career years then we are a better team, and that's totally realistic

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Canucks sitting at 47/50 contract slots.

Sawyer Mynio is the only player with a contract who is eligible for a contract slide because of his junior hockey eligibility. I doubt this team makes any more deals or signings unless its too good to be true. I'd imagine they would want contract flexibility for the trade deadline, waiver claims, and signing rookies throughout the season. 

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

At first glance we are likely a little worse. However all it takes is 2 or 3 guys to have better years and we will be better.

Just 2 or 3 out of:

Hogz

Podz

Joshua

Sherwood

Debrusk

Suter

Forbert

Desharnais

Bluegar

Heinen 

If just 2 or 3 of those guys have career years then we are a better team, and that's totally realistic

To start the season last season we didn’t have Zadorov or Lindholm and we started off pretty damn well.

Is Debrusk an upgrade over Kuzmenko? The way he was playing I would say yes.

Is Heinen an upgrade over Mikheyev? Pretty even but Heinen scored more goal and was more prominent on the pk. The contract difference obviously factors in too.

Sherwood compared to Lafferty is close production wise but I would give the edge to Sherwood in physicality and pk ability.

Forbort compared to Cole is again pretty similar. Forbort is younger and better on the pk but Cole is probably the better all around player. Can Cole continue at that level for much longer though? I’d take the younger bigger guy.

And then if you wanna compare Desharnais to Zadorov you can, but like I said we didn’t start with Zadorov. Both similar size and physical play but obviously Zadorov is far superior in skating and puck movement. Deharnais has him beat in pk ability and fighting ability though.

But like I keep saying the roster isn’t finished.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To start the season last season we didn’t have Zadorov or Lindholm and we started off pretty damn well.

Is Heinen an upgrade over Mikheyev? Pretty even but Heinen scored more goal and was more prominent on the pk. The contract difference obviously factors in too.

Sherwood compared to Lafferty is close production wise but I would give the edge to Sherwood in physicality and pk ability.

Forbort compared to Cole is again pretty similar. Forbort is younger and better on the pk but Cole is probably the better all around player. Can Cole continue at that level for much longer though? I’d take the younger bigger guy.

And then if you wanna compare Desharnais to Zadorov you can, but like I said we didn’t start with Zadorov. Both similar size and physical play but obviously Zadorov is far superior in skating and puck movement. Deharnais has him beat in pk ability and fighting ability though.

Good analysis. You may be right. We might indeed be better.

Funny because our record was worse once we added the "better" players in Zadorov and Lindholm. Goes to show chemistry and structure can sometimes outplay skill.

I'm definitely more excited and optimistic going into this season than last!

DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood all bring speed and forechecking. I remember that was an area we struggled with at times last year. Along with Joshua we’ll be a lot harder on the other team when we dump it in. 

Kind of like the PK, Allvin does a great job almost going overboard addressing team issues.  

I remember Benning really struggling to get on the same page with his coaches and build a team that rose above the sum of its parts. I’m hopeful this 24/25 Canucks team can do what last years’ did as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Good day imo,only want is someone to play with Petey.Maybe Debrusk is a fit

I want to see Petey w Garland/Joshua.  That’s a line that could do some damage.

Debrusk w Miller & Boeser could an absolute handful.

Hoagie and Heinen seem best suited for third line mins/match ups

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good post. Cheers

I agree we need ro maintain flexibility of in season additions too

We need to see how the roster gels and go from there

We will have some surprises..  positive and negatives one and we need ro adjust from there

56 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

You are correct. @Lady Blue Green is mistaken.

Allvin was referring to them being very close on getting JG until his rights got moved.

I will confess though that it's unclear to me what getting "close" means given that negotiations could not officially start before July 1. Presumably, there are ways of unofficially gauging interest, etc. prior to July 1, without tampering. But alas, that's all above my pay grade.

Edited by syntheticity

50 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

You are correct. @Lady Blue Green is mistaken.

Allvin was referring to them being very close on getting JG until his rights got moved.

No he wasn't. He was asked if they came close to signing any of the higher offensive players. He laughing said we came close to Jake, obviously, he said. He could not have talked to JG as he never hit FA. He has also never said they were trying to trade for JG or that they were close to trading for him. He was talking about Debrusk. Go listen to it again. Saying anything else would be admitting to tampering. Now I, like everyone else, have no idea if they made a play to trade for JG or not. Even if they made a play to trade for his rights is not the same as coming close to signing him. Sure if they traded for his rights, which they very easily could have done had there been serious interest in landing him, sure they would've had a window to try to sign him. But noway could he spin that they came close to landing JG. They were never in it. Again. watch the clip again. He was referring to Debrusk.

51 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Was all this Jake Guentzel hype all from people buying into Rick Dhaliwal??? Because I swear I've never seen so many people so firmly convinced we were signing him.

I can't recall a UFA getting this much frenzy on CDC.

I'm sure they would have loved it if he reached FA and they could have kicked the tires. But they weren't close to being able to do that. If they really wanted him they could have easily matched the Tampa offer to get his rights. I think they knew there was no way they could afford him and still plug other holes. So why waste the assets together his rights? Dhaliwal has been known for years to start these rumours and more often than not he has been shown to be full of it. I love that he has been shown to be wrong more than right. While I do believe they tried to get him at the TDD it was also true that they blew their wad on Lindholm and did not have the cap space to fit him in. They could clear cap to make a serious pitch for him. 

6 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

I will confess though that it's unclear to me what getting "close" means given that negotiations could not officially start before July 1. Presumably, there are ways of officially gauging interest, etc. prior to July 1, without tampering. But alas, that's all above my pay grade.

Ya I'm sure agents do let it be known in one way, shape or form. Too many times we have seen numbers player X is asking for come true. So ya I guess there is talk that goes on. Canucks though were never in it, as he wasn't a FA. I just hate how the media spins that the Canucks lost out on plan A and B when we know that is not what happened. And besides, had we landed JG, Daliwahl would have been the loudest screaming about incompetent management.