[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I  think the Canucks will sign Adam Boqvist, cheap. Maybe we see his potential with better coaching and on a good team. He is a mobile D, and it would be nice to have another option other than Hughes.  Maybe Adam learns something from Quinn.

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Boqvist

Brisebois - Desharnais

Juulsen

I still think they might also trade Garland, Suter or Podkolzin to upgrade the 2nd line winger position.

I think theyre trying to see if they can turn desharnais into a top-4 defenseman

he did play some top-4 minutes in edmonton with mixed results

clearly hes got great defensive instincts, his pk ability is elite

• ThereItIs 2

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, as nice as the Myers "story" is, I'd still rather we'd have put that cap towards a Pesce/Tanev/Roy/Carrier etc.

His story is a short one at that, a small sample compared to his entire history with us. He wasn't given the handle "chaos giraffe" for nothing. 

5 hours ago, testycal said:

Opportunity knocks to start integrating Abby dmen into games this season to start the transition process for them.

lol we don’t have any dmen in Abby outside of Juulsen and that is even capable.. maybe woo one day.. D Petey is not ready and willander is in ncaa

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

His story is a short one at that, a small sample compared to his entire history with us. He wasn't given the handle "chaos giraffe" for nothing. 

He was good with Edler. He didn't have a complementary partner, or forward puck support, or systems in place either for most of those years.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol we don’t have any dmen in Abby outside of Juulsen and that is even capable.. maybe woo one day.. D Petey is not ready and willander is in ncaa

They say Pettersson is closer than we think. Could be called up this year and if he shows well I could see him on the team next year. Might be why they went with Forbort on a 1 year deal over the Walman and a 2nd.

• ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Most think McWard is knocking on the door. They would like to get him some games in the NHL this year. He almost made the team out of camp last year while we were sorting the Ethan Bear prognosis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Keep Poolman on the roster and move him to LTIR at the deadline. We would have more cap space by the trade deadline.

The beauty of accrued cap space…the math behind it alludes me but it’s good to have at the TDL. 

25 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

How do the Oilers get cap compliant? 

Kulak could be a good puck moving option for our third pair. $2.75M for the next two seasons. 

Dude, you really need to change your username lol.......I still have nightmares of him starfished in the corner of the ice during training camp.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

They say Pettersson is closer than we think. Could be called up this year and if he shows well I could see him on the team next year. Might be why they went with Forbort on a 1 year deal over the Walman and a 2nd.

Is D. Petey a puck moving defenseman? 

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Depends I guess on how he is at training camp. If he impresses, who knows? Could make the team right out of training camp.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Don’t teams need to be cap compliant opening night without using LTIR? 

Teams can use ltir to be cap compliant but it has to be done by a certain date before opening night. Can't remember when exactly 

57 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Teams can use ltir to be cap compliant but it has to be done by a certain date before opening night. Can't remember when exactly 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t teams need to be cap compliant opening night without using LTIR? 

If they can be cap compliant without going into the LTIR on cap day then they accrue. If they need any of the LTIR by any amount then their is no accrued cap space and yeah it is a day or 2 before the season starts. 

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I sure hope we actually rest Demko more this year. Totally saw the injury coming. Demo needs to really focus on his training and maintenance. Maybe some forced rest days this year.

Which is why I'm surprised management didn't try to get a legit backup for Demko. 

11 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I think theyre trying to see if they can turn desharnais into a top-4 defenseman

he did play some top-4 minutes in edmonton with mixed results

clearly hes got great defensive instincts, his pk ability is elite

I think you are on to something here. Foote must see a player he can coach into something more.

If he actually has top 4 ability it's a great deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think you are on to something here. Foote must see a player he can coach into something more.

If he actually has top 4 ability it's a great deal.

i read somewhere that brett kulak is an (extremely) poor mans hughes, and desharnais fit like a glove with him on the 3rd pair

+ he did play alongside nurse, and nurse was better with desharnais than he was without

theres potential, cant wait for october

• Vintage 1

I think the only thing I didn't like so far is not re-signing Zadorov (and signing Myers instead).

That said, I don't know the context surrounding the deal.

With Zadorov, I would feel good with the team as is. Without him, we still have a hole, but I think we're looking at AHL players stepping up, as well as the bottom pairing guys we signed to step up too.

39 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think the only thing I didn't like so far is not re-signing Zadorov (and signing Myers instead).

This would be side related. Myers is a right shot D-man and Zadorov is left. I haven't played very high level hockey and I've played even less defense, but it can be very challenging to manage the blue line on your off hand. Even guys as skilled as NHLers are at a disadvantage playing their off hand, which can be enough for talented NHL forwards to exploit them to the hilt.

If they were both right shot D-Men then I agree, signing Myers over Zadorov would have been tough to swallow. But given that solid, NHL caliber right shot D-Men are tough to come by, I can understand why the Canucks decided to go with the known and re-sign Myers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1