[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Is D. Petey a puck moving defenseman? 

By most accounts he's a very mobile D-man with a good first pass. Exactly the type of D-man we will need moving forward IMO - Below is profile review. 

"Elias is a good skater with a long stride. He can travel with the puck and is quick out to the corners. Elias is very involved in the game and drives it with a strong first pass or puck travelling. He has good control and his head up. He uses mobility and reach to close gaps and likes to shut down with a hit too. Elias is not only physical, he is highly competitive in his own end too. When his team needs him he steps up."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

By most accounts he's a very mobile D-man with a good first pass. Exactly the type of D-man we will need moving forward IMO - Below is profile review. 

"Elias is a good skater with a long stride. He can travel with the puck and is quick out to the corners. Elias is very involved in the game and drives it with a strong first pass or puck travelling. He has good control and his head up. He uses mobility and reach to close gaps and likes to shut down with a hit too. Elias is not only physical, he is highly competitive in his own end too. When his team needs him he steps up."

I thought D Petey looked good in his short stint on the farm.

I got to watch him live too.

He’s very much like Edler, although I think he’s even more physical than Edler was at this age (I got to see Edler on the farm too back in the day).

Nice passing skills. Calm in his own end but still learning the timing of the pro game.

Offensively I was surprised because all I had heard about him was how heavy he plays. He’s got a good shot too and has some pretty good timing in the ozone. 

Consistency is close too. He plays a solid overall game.

The one glaring thing for myself that I seen was his timing on hits and when to be aggressive in the dzone. He over commits and misses his assignments here and there. But to me thats more of a systems thing. Practice and exposure to the smaller ice will work wonders for him.

Its not crazy to say he’s close to making the NHL. He didn’t get big minutes in the AHL. So this year he will get full time minutes somewhere in the lineup!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I thought D Petey looked good in his short stint on the farm.

I got to watch him live too.

He’s very much like Edler, although I think he’s even more physical than Edler was at this age (I got to see Edler on the farm too back in the day).

Nice passing skills. Calm in his own end but still learning the timing of the pro game.

Offensively I was surprised because all I had heard about him was how heavy he plays. He’s got a good shot too and has some pretty good timing in the ozone. 

Consistency is close too. He plays a solid overall game.

The one glaring thing for myself that I seen was his timing on hits and when to be aggressive in the dzone. He over commits and misses his assignments here and there. But to me thats more of a systems thing. Practice and exposure to the smaller ice will work wonders for him.

Its not crazy to say he’s close to making the NHL. He didn’t get big minutes in the AHL. So this year he will get full time minutes somewhere in the lineup!

He certainly looked further ahead defensively in his development than a lot of other defenders at the last WJC as well. Edler comparisons are apt but I think we could be look at more of an Ohlund - either way we’re looking at a great prospect!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

What's wrong with Silovs? I think he'll be just fine as a back up.

He's waiver exempt which gives him the opportunity to develop his game in the AHL as a starter while being able to be called up to the main club if needed.

So if Canucks can somehow get another back up they can cycle through 3 goalies which can also reduce Demko's start to reduce the changes of injury. 

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Perfect for us if he's closer to making the team. We need someone like him, and if I recall, he was pretty physical defenseman too. So that's a plus. 

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He's waiver exempt which gives him the opportunity to develop his game in the AHL as a starter while being able to be called up to the main club if needed.

So if Canucks can somehow get another back up they can cycle through 3 goalies which can also reduce Demko's start to reduce the changes of injury. 

Probably the last year that he's waiver eligible no? Next season, if he's on waivers, someone's going to claim him. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably the last year that he's waiver eligible no? Next season, if he's on waivers, someone's going to claim him. 

That is correct, one more year. 
Edit: Sorry next season is his last year of waiver eligibility for clarity. 

Edited by DrJockitch

40 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

He certainly looked further ahead defensively in his development than a lot of other defenders at the last WJC as well. Edler comparisons are apt but I think we could be look at more of an Ohlund - either way we’re looking at a great prospect!

He definitely has an edge to him like Ohlund! It’s not crazy to foresee him playing a top 4 D position in the NHL someday. 

In the mould of a Hampus Lindholm or Matthias Ekholm for current day comparisons. Which is a very rosy prediction but he’s got the ability to get there or close to it. 

I’ll temper my expectations until I see him play a full season on the farm.

They went with 7 D at the end of the year. And he would rotate in and out of the game so he’d only get 8-10 mins a night (roughly).

He only got into 1 playoff game unfortunately as well.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Edler comparisons are apt but I think we could be look at more of an Ohlund - either way we’re looking at a great prospect!

Ohlund would be a dream on this team. Literally what we need. A big physical, good first pass, legit top 4 Dman. Man he was great! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

There’s just too many guys…

Tolipilo is not far from being what Silovs is. Some considered him to be better for Abby than even Arty was last year…

Now we signed Petera who has been downright over-seasoned in the AHL. He was buried behind so many goaltenders in the Vegas system.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Ohlund would be a dream on this team. Literally what we need. A big physical, good first pass, legit top 4 Dman. Man he was great! 

Ohlund went "toe-to-toe" with the power forward at the time (Iginla in his prime) & didn't come out badly.   Had a decent shot from the point (considering he only had one good eye) as he had four seasons where he scored 10 or more goals.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Darius said:

Defensive strength of the signings

coilers think it’s 1986 still

Funniest part about that is how much of a discount winning a cup recently will get you 🤣 FLA and COL spent ~$4m, VAN, NJD, TOR....~$14m to get in that +/- 1-2 WAR range.

• Cheers 1

If we get an Ohlund out of EP2 we easily have a top 3 defense, if not the best defense in the league.

Hughes

"Ohlund"

as your 1-2 punch is unstoppable. Throw in Hronek and whatever Willander turns into (likely a #3/4), and that's a deadly top 4.

I don't think EP2 will be as good as Ohlund but if he can be 80% of the player even, that's awesome.

59 minutes ago, Petey O said:

If we get an Ohlund out of EP2 we easily have a top 3 defense, if not the best defense in the league.

Hughes

"Ohlund"

as your 1-2 punch is unstoppable. Throw in Hronek and whatever Willander turns into (likely a #3/4), and that's a deadly top 4.

I don't think EP2 will be as good as Ohlund but if he can be 80% of the player even, that's awesome.

Willander a middle pair? Man have you seen what his D +1 stats were? Comparable to Charlie MacAvoy and Cale Makar, D-petey isint even close to the ceiling willander brings, but yes exciting times as we finally have a balanced team for the first time in over a decade with a very solid group coming up the pipeline to keep the team relevant with ELCs let’s just hope management doesn’t trade away our prospect pool to upgrade short term and let the core boys have 4 or 5 solid cracks at the cup 

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 10:52 PM, Attila Umbrus said:

The beauty of accrued cap space…the math behind it alludes me but it’s good to have at the TDL. 

I don’t understand the math behind it either, but I remember someone on Rick and Don’s show saying we could have around 5 million dollars in cap space by the deadline. Someone who’s more knowledgeable probably has the answers

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Petey O said:

Hughes

"Ohlund"

Big, strong, with elite defensive skills - it’s a rare skill set.

imo D Petey simply does not have the 1st round pick kind of pop like a Matthias Ohlund, but he can easily contribute to this D group if his game keeps progressing the way it has.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, aGENT said:

Funniest part about that is how much of a discount winning a cup recently will get you 🤣 FLA and COL spent ~$4m, VAN, NJD, TOR....~$14m to get in that +/- 1-2 WAR range.

CHI 24 ... EDM 11 just to make things worse for them.    Not to mention they also traded their solid young 3C, and didn't re-sign Desharnais.      The real question is, how much did the new faces add to this.  Myers, Joshua plus change brings the total down to 50%, or 7m.    What did Florida and COL do, that was so special?   Is it also addition due to subtraction.   Tarasenko for example, not going back would give that stat a big bump.   OEL maybe too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ohlund went "toe-to-toe" with the power forward at the time (Iginla in his prime) & didn't come out badly.   Had a decent shot from the point (considering he only had one good eye) as he had four seasons where he scored 10 or more goals.

That was the only fight I remember him having,  like Murzyn, barely threw a punch but unlike Murzyn, (who then should  have legendary status for all the guys he dropped with over the years) that  absolutely wasn't part of his game.   

Only other one, Souray who almost KOed him.   So let's be honest.      He was a very good two way defenseman, who was a heavy hitter, in an era when the league was still loaded with guys who'd drop the gloves.   

Iginla was a lot like Shanny, a good fighter when he dropped them.   Tochett.   Gary Roberts.   Corson.  Steven's.  Hunter. Clarke.  Neely.  Messier.   Kerr.  Gillies.   Bridgeman, many others.  There was a time, when the league had a lot of power forwards, and they deserved that name for how they played the game.   Other then Iginla and the remnants f  this part of the game has ceased to exist which is unfortunate.    Doubt we ever see anything like the guys above again.

Frustrating watching Horvat skate away with those physical gifts.      So get that Ohlund sentimentally exists, given the way hockey is now, but let's be real, he never dropped his gloves to protect a teammate, not that I re-call anyways.   Despite the frame.  Just a couple times to defend himself after thundering hits.   

As far as "in his prime" Iginla, the guy basically had his way with most players later in his career, the quality of competition definitely was waning.   Didn't lose that ability throughout his career.   His most famous fight other then Lecavalier,  Benn may have got a couple licks in, but was hanging on the final 30 seconds of what a really good fight used to look like.   Not sure why Ohlund's fight with Iginla gets legendary status given the beating he took to his kidneys and ribs.    Came out standing, if that counts then sure, didn't do badly.    Murzyn was fighting better fighters frequently, did it all the time, defending front of the net, and the best we could hope for him was a draw.   Not to mention the guys who played D for us that could actually fight too.   So if "he fought Iginla" matters,  Murzyn should be an icon and deserves a statue.   Same with Jason Strudwick who played with Ohlund, not a good player, not a good fighter.    

If he didn't have his eye almost blinded, do believe that we had a chance at having two Norris quality guy's at the same time.   He was a legit number 1b  throughout his career.   Check out the minutes he played.    Better than Edler, never stopped hitting,  was crushing guys in TB, they weren't used to playing against him after he left,  instead of a few Norris votes, truly believe he'd of being a perennial candidate, wouldn't win but would get votes.   Also was here for the Keenan era, which just awful, Aucoin, Jovo and Ohlund gave hope though, for a better future. 

As for D-Petey.   Don't see Ohlund at all. 6'4" 220-230, with those pads, looked like a transformer out there.   That's a ridiculous expectation.    Especially when it comes to hitting, scoring probably too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That was the only fight I remember him having,  like Murzyn, barely threw a punch but unlike Murzyn, (who then should  have legendary status for all the guys he dropped with over the years) that  absolutely wasn't part of his game.   

Only other one, Souray who almost KOed him.   So let's be honest.      He was a very good two way defenseman, who was a heavy hitter, in an era when the league was still loaded with guys who'd drop the gloves.   

Iginla was a lot like Shanny, a good fighter when he dropped them.   Tochett.   Gary Roberts.   Corson.  Steven's.  Hunter. Clarke.  Neely.  Messier.   Kerr.  Gillies.   Bridgeman, many others.  There was a time, when the league had a lot of power forwards, and they deserved that name for how they played the game.   Other then Iginla and the remnants f  this part of the game has ceased to exist which is unfortunate.    Doubt we ever see anything like the guys above again.

Frustrating watching Horvat skate away with those physical gifts.      So get that Ohlund sentimentally exists, given the way hockey is now, but let's be real, he never dropped his gloves to protect a teammate, not that I re-call anyways.   Despite the frame.  Just a couple times to defend himself after thundering hits.   

As far as "in his prime" Iginla, the guy basically had his way with most players later in his career, the quality of competition definitely was waning.   Didn't lose that ability throughout his career.   His most famous fight other then Lecavalier,  Benn may have got a couple licks in, but was hanging on the final 30 seconds of what a really good fight used to look like.   Not sure why Ohlund's fight with Iginla gets legendary status given the beating he took to his kidneys and ribs.    Came out standing, if that counts then sure, didn't do badly.    Murzyn was fighting better fighters frequently, did it all the time, defending front of the net, and the best we could hope for him was a draw.   Not to mention the guys who played D for us that could actually fight too.   So if "he fought Iginla" matters,  Murzyn should be an icon and deserves a statue.   Same with Jason Strudwick who played with Ohlund, not a good player, not a good fighter.    

If he didn't have his eye almost blinded, do believe that we had a chance at having two Norris quality guy's at the same time.   He was a legit number 1b  throughout his career.   Check out the minutes he played.    Better than Edler, never stopped hitting,  was crushing guys in TB, they weren't used to playing against him after he left,  instead of a few Norris votes, truly believe he'd of being a perennial candidate, wouldn't win but would get votes.   Also was here for the Keenan era, which just awful, Aucoin, Jovo and Ohlund gave hope though, for a better future. 

As for D-Petey.   Don't see Ohlund at all. 6'4" 220-230, with those pads, looked like a transformer out there.   That's a ridiculous expectation.    Especially when it comes to hitting, scoring probably too. 

Sorry, I didn't mean fighting ability but rather being able to hold off a power forward like Ignila in the defensive zone (granted it was an era that you didn't a penalty for literally just breathing on an opposing player like today).

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, nergish said:

Big, strong, with elite defensive skills - it’s a rare skill set.

imo D Petey simply does not have the 1st round pick kind of pop like a Matthias Ohlund, but he can easily contribute to this D group if his game keeps progressing the way it has.

Yeah, too much pressure on D Petey to be something he's probably not gonna be.  If people are looking for high ceiling D, it should be Willander.  Depending on how he develops this coming year in college, we could have a Mcavoy type RHD that could drive the 2nd pair with Soucy next to him.

D Petey could then anchor the 3rd pair with Myers or Desharnais. 

16 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Willander a middle pair? Man have you seen what his D +1 stats were? Comparable to Charlie MacAvoy and Cale Makar, D-petey isint even close to the ceiling willander brings, but yes exciting times as we finally have a balanced team for the first time in over a decade with a very solid group coming up the pipeline to keep the team relevant with ELCs let’s just hope management doesn’t trade away our prospect pool to upgrade short term and let the core boys have 4 or 5 solid cracks at the cup 

I could see D-Petey & Willander being a very good second pairing someday.

Both are good puck moving D-man, Willander more the puck carrier/distributor and D-Petey more the physical shut down guy with a big shot.

When they make the team, they will (likely) play on separate pairings with a vet that can teach them the nuance's within the game. I could see

Hughes - Willander 

D-Petey - Hronek  

Once they get some experience and games under their belt (in a year or 2) I could see them going with 

Hughes -  Hronek 

D-Petey - Willander 

Our top 4 D-core could be set for the next 7 years or so. 

18 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I could see D-Petey & Willander being a very good second pairing someday.

Both are good puck moving D-man, Willander more the puck carrier/distributor and D-Petey more the physical shut down guy with a big shot.

When they make the team, they will (likely) play on separate pairings with a vet that can teach them the nuance's within the game. I could see

Hughes - Willander 

D-Petey - Hronek  

Once they get some experience and games under their belt (in a year or 2) I could see them going with 

Hughes -  Hronek 

D-Petey - Willander 

Our top 4 D-core could be set for the next 7 years or so. 

Hope so that’s really optimistic outlook for them. It is hard to integrate toe young dmen at the same time looking at NJ with Hughes and Nemec even though they are both crazy good prospects they struggled last year a little with their defence 

this year I expect it to be different with a healthy Hamilton and a Jew ideal d partner for both Hughes and Nemec signed in pesce and dillon 

but we will see how it actually goes for them this year.

For Willander I’m just hoping he takes a step and thrives at BU this year in a larger role and his offensive game and confidence takes a step 

for D Petey I’m hoping he carves out a big role in Abby 

and the both of them just keep improving 

• Cheers 1