[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Hope so that’s really optimistic outlook for them. It is hard to integrate toe young dmen at the same time looking at NJ with Hughes and Nemec even though they are both crazy good prospects they struggled last year a little with their defence 

this year I expect it to be different with a healthy Hamilton and a Jew ideal d partner for both Hughes and Nemec signed in pesce and dillon 

but we will see how it actually goes for them this year.

For Willander I’m just hoping he takes a step and thrives at BU this year in a larger role and his offensive game and confidence takes a step 

for D Petey I’m hoping he carves out a big role in Abby 

and the both of them just keep improving 

Well I did say "someday". LOL

I think if their development curve continues (in the right direction) this season you could see one or both of them in the lineup the following season. 

However, they would have to earn it. Eventually when they arrive, I think playing with better players will elevate their game and development. Which 

is why I was suggesting they play with Hughes and Hronek. Much the same way Willander ended up playing with Hutson last season at BU.

My favorite quote from Allvin last season, would also apply in this scenario.  " a lot of things would need to go right" 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

Killer Top Line 

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser  

The two Swedes have some protection 

Joshua - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki  

Gritty, fast, annoying bottom 6

Heinen - Blueger - Garland  

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Killer Top Line 

I’d like to see

debrusk petterson joshua as a line 

On 7/6/2024 at 12:17 PM, Darius said:

Defensive strength of the signings

coilers think it’s 1986 still

They think that their defence and goaltending is good because they made the Finals last year. They're gonna be in a rude awakening

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J-23 said:

I don’t understand the math behind it either, but I remember someone on Rick and Don’s show saying we could have around 5 million dollars in cap space by the deadline. Someone who’s more knowledgeable probably has the answers

Come on down Mrs Granato! She’s the lady behind the scenes on a lot of financial decisions. I got so used to poor financial management during the Benning years.

We haven’t had a cap wizard since Gillman left. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I could see D-Petey & Willander being a very good second pairing someday.

Both are good puck moving D-man, Willander more the puck carrier/distributor and D-Petey more the physical shut down guy with a big shot.

When they make the team, they will (likely) play on separate pairings with a vet that can teach them the nuance's within the game. I could see

Hughes - Willander 

D-Petey - Hronek  

Once they get some experience and games under their belt (in a year or 2) I could see them going with 

Hughes -  Hronek 

D-Petey - Willander 

Our top 4 D-core could be set for the next 7 years or so. 

I like where you're going with this, but realistically that's probably closer to 3-4+ years from now, vs 1-2. Another 1-2 years of college/AHL, and another 1-2 years after that playing further down the NHL lineup. And that's if everything goes well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I like where you're going with this, but realistically that's probably closer to 3-4+ years from now, vs 1-2. Another 1-2 years of college/AHL, and another 1-2 years after that playing further down the NHL lineup. And that's if everything goes well.

Charlie McAvoy was playing over 20 minutes a night as a 20 year old straight out of college.  Not sure why you think Willander needs 4 more years to be in the top 4.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Killer Top Line 

I like this.  Would be nice for Petey to have a power forward type on his wing.  I think Lekkerimaki will be Petey's wingman like Brock is to Miller.  

Only thing is I think Podkolzin is going to be one of Tocchet's favourites, so I think he will be in that bottom 6.  No sure Hoglander has a role on the team, he could be traded for a right shot 3C...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Charlie McAvoy was playing over 20 minutes a night as a 20 year old straight out of college.  Not sure why you think Willander needs 4 more years to be in the top 4.

Because that's not the norm? And I didn't say WIllander needs four more years to play top 4. I said the expectation that he's on our top pair AND D-Petey our 2nd pair, is likely 3-4+ years away, barring development miracles.

Could Willander be playing top 4 in 2-3 years? Absolutely. Next year college with an end of season stint in the AHL/NHL, a season after split/in the NHL (3rd/2nd pair), 2nd pair the season after...Absolutely doable.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Psb_08 said:

I’d like to see

debrusk petterson joshua as a line 

Hoglander was 4th in goal scoring this year. I think he deserves to be in the top 6.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like this.  Would be nice for Petey to have a power forward type on his wing.  I think Lekkerimaki will be Petey's wingman like Brock is to Miller.  

Only thing is I think Podkolzin is going to be one of Tocchet's favourites, so I think he will be in that bottom 6.  No sure Hoglander has a role on the team, he could be traded for a right shot 3C...

Not sure why we would be favouring Pods over Hogs at this point… 

12 minutes ago, Babych said:

Not sure why we would be favouring Pods over Hogs at this point… 

Holgander doesn't play on special teams.  He's also not a great defensive player and shouldn't really be in the bottom 6, especially the 4th line.  He's either riding shotgun for Petey or Miller or he is out of the lineup.  Podkolzin is a "bull" according to Tocchet.  A prototypical Tocchet type player.  Hoglander did a full year in Abby before last year, Podkolzin did the same.  Now it's due or die for Podkolzin.  I think he makes the team and plays on the 4th line to start.  So no room for Hoglander unless Lekkerimaki doesn't make the team.  It's possible that Lekkerimaki starts in Abby and Hoglander plays with Petey to start.

At the end of the day, I don't think there is room on the team for both Hogs and Podz.  One will be traded...

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Babych said:

Hoglander was 4th in goal scoring this year. I think he deserves to be in the top 6.

He will be. I like the looks of those lines but imo they'll be

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Podkolzin/xxxx

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

Edited by Pears
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I believe Willander is closer to being NHL ready than most I suppose.

A lot will be determined this upcoming season at BU IMO. Willander was taken 15th overall not in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. 

I would say he's got the POTENTIAL to go pro after 2 seasons in college, much like Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Charlie McAvoy and others taken in

the first half of the first round. 

However, part of his development is adjusting to the smaller ice surface, working the different angles and gap control after playing on big Ice oversea's.

If he has a good - great year in college then I think you see him on the Canucks roster next season. Just my opinion though.  

14 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

A lot will be determined this upcoming season at BU IMO. Willander was taken 15th overall not in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. 

I would say he's got the POTENTIAL to go pro after 2 seasons in college, much like Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar, Charlie McAvoy and others taken in

However, part of his development is adjusting to the smaller ice surface, working the different angles and gap control after playing on big Ice oversea's.

If he has a good - great year in college then I think you see him on the Canucks roster next season. Just my opinion though.  

I could see him battling for a spot come playoffs he will get half a dozen games in end of the year to prove his worth but could put us over the top if he’s capable of strengthening our back end 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Because that's not the norm? And I didn't say WIllander needs four more years to play top 4. I said the expectation that he's on our top pair AND D-Petey our 2nd pair, is likely 3-4+ years away, barring development miracles.

Could Willander be playing top 4 in 2-3 years? Absolutely. Next year college with an end of season stint in the AHL/NHL, a season after split/in the NHL (3rd/2nd pair), 2nd pair the season after...Absolutely doable.

Sweet Jeebus another case of our Canadian amateur scouting sucking major ass even under Jim Benning that draft year (OJ, although "European", played in the OHL).  That Bruins defenseman was drafted later on that 1st round.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, Captain insano said:

I could see him battling for a spot come playoffs he will get half a dozen games in end of the year to prove his worth but could put us over the top if he’s capable of strengthening our back end 

Agreed, if he has a great season at BU and gets games in for the Canucks before the end of the season.

It's kinda like a getting a free player at the TDL.

Makar did the same thing for Colorado in 2018-2019. 

36 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Just to be clear "on the roster" is not the same as playing first pair next to Hughes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yup.  We will get a better sense after this coming college year for Willander.  If he follows the path of McAvoy, then it's possible he's top pair in 2 years.  McAvoy went from college to the NHL playing 22min a night as a rookie.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why trade a 20 goal scoring player making so little?

People keep tossing Hoglander out as expendable but what do you replace him with that is comparable for that dollar value?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why trade a 20 goal scoring player making so little?

People keep tossing Hoglander out as expendable but what do you replace him with that is comparable for that dollar value?

Höglander is on the last year of his deal. Will probably get $3 million+ next season. He doesn’t play special teams. I don’t see a fit for him really. 

His market value is probably a top 3C and a pick or prospect.  I mean if we got a Shane Pinto for him that would be great. 

I’d do Höglander for Colton Sissons straight up. Perfect 3C and a local boy too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

Agreed.  Willander will sign after his college season is over. And will play some regular season games and playoffs. He will be like a free trade deadline acquisition. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed.  Willander will sign after his college season is over. And will play some regular season games and playoffs. He will be like a free trade deadline acquisition. 

He's gonna be our Bowen Byram as we go on to win the Cup this coming year.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Agreed, if he has a great season at BU and gets games in for the Canucks before the end of the season.

It's kinda like a getting a free player at the TDL.

Makar did the same thing for Colorado in 2018-2019. 

Caufield was major help for Montreal one year as well doing that 

Man free agency always comes and goes so fast…

Now time to face the reality of months without hockey. Good chance we aren’t able to discuss a trade or signing until late August/September if one happens.