[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Holgander doesn't play on special teams.  He's also not a great defensive player and shouldn't really be in the bottom 6, especially the 4th line.  He's either riding shotgun for Petey or Miller or he is out of the lineup.  Podkolzin is a "bull" according to Tocchet.  A prototypical Tocchet type player.  Hoglander did a full year in Abby before last year, Podkolzin did the same.  Now it's due or die for Podkolzin.  I think he makes the team and plays on the 4th line to start.  So no room for Hoglander unless Lekkerimaki doesn't make the team.  It's possible that Lekkerimaki starts in Abby and Hoglander plays with Petey to start.

At the end of the day, I don't think there is room on the team for both Hogs and Podz.  One will be traded...

I agree with most of what you’re saying. Maybe Hogs deserves more time on the pp tho?

I’m not high on Podz atm.. those two were drafted in the same year and one is having success at the nhl level and the other.. just isn’t (yet).

I’d love to see Podz make the team and be the player we all wanted when he was drafted. It would be a good problem to have;)

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Hoglander is still RFA after this contract.  Very little reason to trade him at the moment.  Despite not having Tocchet’s trust, he can play a buzz saw type game that could mesh well.  

If he doesn’t, trade his rights away next offseason or as an added asset for a mid season / deadline trade.  

20+ regular season, even strength goals bouncing around the lineup for a million bucks helps any way you slice it.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, Babych said:

I agree with most of what you’re saying. Maybe Hogs deserves more time on the pp tho?

I’m not high on Podz atm.. those two were drafted in the same year and one is having success at the nhl level and the other.. just isn’t (yet).

I’d love to see Podz make the team and be the player we all wanted when he was drafted. It would be a good problem to have;)

It took Pods awhile to recover from that brutal concussion early last season.  He did find his game again as the season progressed.

I think it’s worth giving him a second chance this year to see if it’s all coming together for him… but I’m also a lot less optimistic on him, particularly ceiling-wise as I once was. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It took Pods awhile to recover from that brutal concussion early last season.  He did find his game again as the season progressed.

I think it’s worth giving him a second chance this year to see if it’s all coming together for him… but I’m also a lot less optimistic on him, particularly ceiling-wise as I once was. 

i agree. We have good (ish) scoring and depth. There’s no need to rush anything.

if Podz turns out to be a bull that can score 15-20 goals that’s basically like finding $50 in an old jacket pocket 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Babych said:

i agree. We have good (ish) scoring and depth. There’s no need to rush anything.

if Podz turns out to be a bull that can score 15-20 goals that’s basically like finding $50 in an old jacket pocket 

35 depth goals between Hogs and Pods is both reasonable and fantastic.  

The season always gives some ups and downs nobody saw coming, but I’m hoping that’s something that comes through.

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Duke said:

Hoglander is still RFA after this contract.  Very little reason to trade him at the moment.  Despite not having Tocchet’s trust, he can play a buzz saw type game that could mesh well.  

If he doesn’t, trade his rights away next offseason or as an added asset for a mid season / deadline trade.  

20+ regular season, even strength goals bouncing around the lineup for a million bucks helps any way you slice it.

It all hinges on Lekkerimaki. If he makes the team then most likely Höglander is traded. 

We have 8 positions on the wing. 6 are accounted for. Debrusk, Boeser, Joshua, Garland, Heinen, Sherwood. These guys are guaranteed to be in the starting lineup. 

2 spots are left for Lekkerimäki, Höglander, Podkolzin, Di Giuseppe and maybe Suter. Suter most likely is our 4C. Di Giuseppe is probably waived. So if Lekkerimäki doesn’t make the team then there is room for both Höglander and Podkolzin. If he does make the team then one of those guys gets traded. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Höglander is on the last year of his deal. Will probably get $3 million+ next season. He doesn’t play special teams. I don’t see a fit for him really. 

His market value is probably a top 3C and a pick or prospect.  I mean if we got a Shane Pinto for him that would be great. 

I’d do Höglander for Colton Sissons straight up. Perfect 3C and a local boy too. 

Hogs scored 24 goals last year with very little PP time. What would he do on a Debrusk-Petey-Hogs line? His ppg tanked in playoffs so that is a concern. The camp this fall will be very competitive. As you suggest I can see Hogs being moved if other options look better. I can also see Hogs scoring + 30 goals. Pump and dump? We should not forget that Mik's inability to score deflated both Petey and Hogs ppg. It might come down to a choice between Hogs and Garland. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hogs scored 24 goals last year with very little PP time. What would he do on a Debrusk-Petey-Hogs line? His ppg tanked in playoffs so that is a concern. The camp this fall will be very competitive. As you suggest I can see Hogs being moved if other options look better. I can also see Hogs scoring + 30 goals. Pump and dump? We should not forget that Mik's inability to score deflated both Petey and Hogs ppg. It might come down to a choice between Hogs and Garland. 

The level of competition went from playing 4th line players to playing against top defensive matchups with Pettey.  

He needs to adjust, he was pretty much invisible after shifting up the lineup.

Until we see if his game has another level, I am not betting on him topping last year.  

His best value maybe adding goalscoring to the bottom six.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

The level of competition went from playing 4th line players to playing against top defensive matchups with Pettey.  

Until we see if his game has another level, I am not betting on him topping last year.  

I disagree with that, he’s still very young with lots of inconsistency in his game, if he can grow into a consistent player I don’t see how he wouldn’t be a 30 goal 50-60 point player 

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
12 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Absolutely this…

We had three lines able to pot in goals, so that 4th line saw the easiest matchups. 

I absolutely think this is the time to trade him as his value is (relatively) high.  Other teams with cap considerations could look at that goal number and rate him very highly for the low dollars spent.

If we move Garland, we have the cap

space to add someone at the top of the roster up to nearly a $10 million cap hit (if we ran a 21 man roster like many teams do now).  Hoglander could be a big part of the trade package for that player.

I bet on that being more successful than seeing whether either Hoglander or Heinen can really ride on Petterson’s wing.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, boziffous said:

It surprises me how many Canucks fans seem to be ready to trade Hoglander away. He'll still be just 23 years old when this upcoming season starts. Last season among full time NHL players Hoglander ranked 3rd in the entire NHL in goals per 60 minutes at 5 on 5. Behind only Auston Matthews and Zach Hyman.

image.png.80eadc1c4f34f0a78d33c78a0004ad02.png

He still produced in the regular season after he got moved up the lineup. He was one of only like 3 Canucks forwards that didn't suffer a dip in production in the 2nd half of the season.

image.png.c8b6658c98b2a808fbb90468e6b7aab2.png

He didn't have a good playoffs, but the effort was there in the 10 minutes a game he played.

Worried about the Necas rumours and the Canucks with Hoglander++ probably a 1rst and a prospect like D Petey. Think I’d rather keep our own here.

I like Necas and you gotta give to get but Hoglander is one of our few potentially huge surplus value contracts on the team! 

56 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Worried about the Necas rumours and the Canucks with Hoglander++ probably a 1rst and a prospect like D Petey. Think I’d rather keep our own here.

I like Necas and you gotta give to get but Hoglander is one of our few potentially huge surplus value contracts on the team! 

Don't worry, the cap hit doesn't work.  Necas wants $7m+.  Moving Hoglander only gets us halfway there.  We would need to unload another $3m to $4m.  I don't see that happening.

On 7/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, Provost said:

Absolutely this…

We had three lines able to pot in goals, so that 4th line saw the easiest matchups. 

I absolutely think this is the time to trade him as his value is (relatively) high.  Other teams with cap considerations could look at that goal number and rate him very highly for the low dollars spent.

If we move Garland, we have the cap

space to add someone at the top of the roster up to nearly a $10 million cap hit (if we ran a 21 man roster like many teams do now).  Hoglander could be a big part of the trade package for that player.

I bet on that being more successful than seeing whether either Hoglander or Heinen can really ride on Petterson’s wing.

Not that I don't believe you, but other than teams that are straddling the LTIR line like VGK, what other teams go with a 21 man roster?  That's what... 12F, 7D, and 2G?  So no room for injury to your forwards?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Not that I don't believe you, but other than teams that are straddling the LTIR line like VGK, what other teams go with a 21 man roster?  That's what... 12F, 7D, and 2G?  So no room for injury to your forwards?

That is the joy of having a farm team in your city it gives a little extra cushion for calling guys up.

Look during the season.  Teams carry fewer players and sometimes if going on a road trip call an extra guy up.  It is commonplace now.

We haven’t bothered for a few years worrying about it as we have been in LTIR and can’t accrue cap space anyways.

Last season 20 teams started the season with fewer than the full 23 man roster (20-22 players).

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4967136/2023/10/17/nhl-salary-cap-roster-cuts/

41B281F0-76C8-46C0-B516-84BB6B57F647.png

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is the joy of having a farm team in your city it gives a little extra cushion for calling guys up.

Look during the season.  Teams carry fewer players and sometimes if going on a road trip call an extra guy up.  It is commonplace now.

We haven’t bothered for a few years worrying about it as we have been in LTIR and can’t accrue cap space anyways.

Last season 20 teams started the season with fewer than the full 23 man roster (20-22 players).

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4967136/2023/10/17/nhl-salary-cap-roster-cuts/

41B281F0-76C8-46C0-B516-84BB6B57F647.png

Thanks.  Haven't really paid a lot of attention to the roster numbers of teams in awhile.  I always assumed 22 was the minimum most teams would want to carry with 1 extra forward and defenceman at all times.  The thing with running a 21 man roster is we better hope we have solid waiver exempt guys available. 

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Thanks.  Haven't really paid a lot of attention to the roster numbers of teams in awhile.  I always assumed 22 was the minimum most teams would want to carry with 1 extra forward and defenceman at all times.  The thing with running a 21 man roster is we better hope we have solid waiver exempt guys available. 

Yep, not normally a problem as most teams don’t want your fringe guys anyways or they are just replaceable.

Teams even sometimes demote guys on paper between game days to save salary.  It is calculated daily so why carry them if you aren’t playing.

Running a 21 man roster is worth $1.5-$2.2 million a year in saved cap which is significant, especially if you accrue that and use it for a much more expensive player at the deadline.