[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

These reports are from Spring 2024. We need to stay the hell away from this guy; low character person.

As I said, I don't have many worries there with this dressing room and this coaching staff.

It upgrades a couple of areas and adds offense, size, snarl, youth and pk to the lineup.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This isn’t EA hockey very few 1 year deals for non reclamation projects or twilight year players 

Simple argument, do better. Lot's of potential one year deal potential in a cap system where the cap is currently rising year over year. 

Would rather a reclamation project with upside on a one year deal than Toffoli at $6+x4/5 and not have flexibility next year. There will be some interesting offensive options available looking to up their stock...where better than in Van given what the coaching staff has shown.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Would rather a reclamation project with upside on a one year deal than Toffoli at $5x4/5 and not have flexibility next year. There will be some interesting offensive options available looking to up their stock...where better than in Van given what the coaching staff has shown.

which one, specifically?

• Cheers 1

JR/Allvin will probably bring in players that weren't even considered. Will they all be UFA signings or will there also be trades? (e.g. Garland)

My biggest concern is who will Petey be playing with. If the Canucks could get two deadly top lines that can score, they'll be in good shape. 

A healthy Demko and rebuilt D will be in good hands under Gonchar, Foote and Clark. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tas said:

why would you prefer him and why do you believe he'd take a one year low value deal?

Coming off a down year (injured), Swedish, needs to up his stock in a rising cap period, should get to play with EP or Miller. He is gritty, goes to the tough areas and has some offensive touch. If one year, doesn't necessarily have to be a value deal on AAV.

IF a solid deal for a good forward or two forwards is/are available this year than great but I don't want mgmt to burden themselves with any bad contracts for the wrong players. I would prefer they maintain cap flexibility, rather than sign the wrong player this summer to a long term deal. Much better options available next summer and/or for teams with cap space to make deals work.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am unsure teams pass up on giving him a multi-year deal. He was hurt but is a quality player. 

Even rebuilding teams would see value in playing him with high end draft picks. 

For sure, might not be an option but he is the type of player I would target over a long term deal for whatever is available this summer. If Mgmt can sign a good deal with a Toffoli type of player then great, just don't want them to lose too much cap flexibility...as I think there will be deals available after the froth settles (trade or UFA). Could be wrong but that would be my approach.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Coming off a down year (injured), Swedish, needs to up his stock in a rising cap period, should get to play with EP or Miller. He is gritty, goes to the tough areas and has some offensive touch.

IF a solid deal for a good forward or two forwards is/are available this year than great but I don't want mgmt to burden themselves with any bad contracts for the wrong players. I would prefer they maintain cap flexibility, rather than sign the wrong player this summer to a long term deal. Much better options available next summer and/or for teams with cap space to make deals work.

this team can't afford to waste the next 2-3 seasons. they have to make sure they give it their best shot now before quinn and thatcher need new deals. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

JR/Allvin will probably bring in players that weren't even considered. Will they all be UFA signings or will there also be trades? (e.g. Garland)

My biggest concern is who will Petey be playing with. If the Canucks could get two deadly top lines that can score, they'll be in good shape. 

A healthy Demko and rebuilt D will be in good hands under Gonchar, Foote and Clark. 

Garland was the driver on the best 3rd line in the NHL and when the top 2 lines weren’t clicking, they were awesome. I get the need for Garland’s cap space, but now that DJ and Blueger are signed, I’d hate to see Garland traded. Not sure who else can generate more cap though, tbh.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Simple argument, do better. Lot's of potential one year deal potential in a cap system where the cap is currently rising year over year. 

Would rather a reclamation project with upside on a one year deal than Toffoli at $6+x4/5 and not have flexibility next year. There will be some interesting offensive options available looking to up their stock...where better than in Van given what the coaching staff has shown.

Do better than thinking logically? There is too much risk on his end for a one year deal, your proposal is not realistic.