[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

20 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

JR/Allvin will probably bring in players that weren't even considered. Will they all be UFA signings or will there also be trades? (e.g. Garland)

My biggest concern is who will Petey be playing with. If the Canucks could get two deadly top lines that can score, they'll be in good shape. 

A healthy Demko and rebuilt D will be in good hands under Gonchar, Foote and Clark. 

Garland is not moving, you don’t extend the other 2 players on the best 3rd line in the league only to move the play driver. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Garland was the driver on the best 3rd line in the NHL and when the top 2 lines weren’t clicking, they were awesome. I get the need for Garland’s cap space, but now that DJ and Blueger are signed, I’d hate to see Garland traded. Not sure who else can generate more cap though, tbh.

Now is not the time to do that. 

We can keep that line for 2 years which is the length of Bleuger/Garland’s contracts. That’s enough time to see prospects rise up. 

That line also allows us to experiment with the 4th line. Having 3 solid lines grants you that opportunity. 

Just gotta find Petey a winger. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Garland was the driver on the best 3rd line in the NHL and when the top 2 lines weren’t clicking, they were awesome. I get the need for Garland’s cap space, but now that DJ and Blueger are signed, I’d hate to see Garland traded. Not sure who else can generate more cap though, tbh.

It's a tough call for sure.  I don't relish the idea of trading Garly, but he sure would fit well on the

Utah team. It would have to be Bugstad +.

To me Joshua proved this year he can be more than a third line winger and Garland proved he is also much better than a third liner. Since we gave up so much to get Lindholm I hope we re sign him

Garland Miller Boeser

Joshua Lindholm Pettersson 

Hoglander Blueger Karlsson

PDG Suter Podkolzin 

Hughes Hronek 

Soucy Myers 

Dillon Juulsen 

20 minutes ago, tas said:

this team can't afford to waste the next 2-3 seasons. they have to make sure they give it their best shot now before quinn and thatcher need new deals. 

I agree, that's why they can waste available space/flexibility over that entire period by overpaying the wrong UFA this year. Best to have flexibility and get the right players at the right price. They still have a decent team and Mgmt has shown the ability to add quality and fill spots during the season at much better prices/costs.

42 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Coming off a down year (injured), Swedish, needs to up his stock in a rising cap period, should get to play with EP or Miller...I can see some incentives

Problem with that idea is that all it takes is ONE team that can see his production per game was actually right around where he was the past couple years... so they'd give him the long term deal.  It only works if no team is willing to give him more than a 1 year deal, which is not realistic.

Just now, NoCupSyndrome said:

I agree, that's why they can waste available space/flexibility over that entire period by overpaying the wrong UFA this year. Best to have flexibility and get the right players at the right price. They still have a decent team and Mgmt has shown the ability to add quality and fill spots during the season at much better prices/costs.

sifting through the bargain bin should be a backup plan if they fail to land the high end piece they can afford. 

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Do better than thinking logically? There is too much risk on his end for a one year deal, your proposal is not realistic. 

That's not how all professional athletes think (with their agents help). They look at potential short term options that can potentially increase their long-term potential earnings...especially after a season in which they only played 18 games

6 minutes ago, tas said:

sifting through the bargain bin should be a backup plan if they fail to land the high end piece they can afford. 

That is what I have been saying haha if they can't get a good player at the right price this year, I would rather they go for quantity on one year deals (they can trade easily, etc) than overpay for the wrong player that is going to handcuff them in years 2, 3, 4, 5....etc.

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

Just now, NoCupSyndrome said:

That is what I have been saying haha if they can't get a good player at the right price this year, I would rather they go for quality on one year deals (they can trade easily, etc) than overpay for the wrong player that is going to handcuff them in years 2, 3, 4, 5....etc.

where we diverge I think is that you said you'd prefer that route over a reasonably priced toffoli. I think guentzel, stamkos, toffoli need to be primary targets despite the sticker shock. 

Just now, tas said:

where we diverge I think is that you said you'd prefer that route over a reasonably priced toffoli. I think guentzel, stamkos, toffoli need to be primary targets despite the sticker shock. 

Not Toffoli himself, but Toffoli at the projected salary terms. If they can get Toffoli on a three year deal, at reasonable AAV ($5 - $5.6M), then I think mgmt would still have flexibility.

If TT is getting $5.5 - $6.5M over 4 or 5 years then I would be very worried.

8 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Not Toffoli himself, but Toffoli at the projected salary terms. If they can get Toffoli on a three year deal, at reasonable AAV ($5 - $5.6M), then I think mgmt would still have flexibility.

If TT is getting $5.5 - $6.5M over 4 or 5 years then I would be very worried.

if you want to get the player that you think gives you the best chance to win, you usually have to pay market rate. 

Edited by tas

Zadorov, Roy, Pesce, Tanev, Dillon tend to be the top named defenseman on these boards but I just did a deep dive of the UFAs and wanted to get your guys opinion on the following.

Brady Skeji - might be the best LD on the market. Could be our long term LD. Would you spend 5 x 6M on him?

Justin Schultz - as 3RD or #7. There's history there with Tocc and PA/JR

Calvin De Haan - as #6/7 guy

Dimitri Kulikov - as your 3LD

Alec Martinez - as your 3LD

The team needs a placeholder for Lekky RW.  I'm thinking that Perron at 36, still has a

couple of good years in him.  He might come in at a decent $ if he gets the 2yrs.   He's

got the IQ and playmaking sense to be a good match on EPs line. 3.8-4mx2yrs

Same thing goes for a placeholder for Willander.  Shattenkirk (35) is still playing solid 3rd pair

and might take a bit of a raise and 2yrs term to sign.  1.5mx2yrs

I would love to see Duclair on JTs line, signed for 3.8m/4yrs.

I also think there's a trade to be had with the cap-strapped Islanders.  They are drowning in

RFA + UFA signings with only 5.8m in cap space.

TRADE: Lee 7x2 + Romanov2.5x1(RFA) for Hogs, Pods + Poolman +12m salary cap for Islanders

As we all know; all, some, one, or none will likely happen.  Just so you all know, with these additions,

The Canuck cap is 87.79m which is too tight to the cap. 

Duclair 3.8mx4    JT 8m     Brock 6.5m

Lee 7mx2     EP 11.6m    (Perron 3.8m)x2

Josh 3.2mx4     Blue 1.8mx2     Garly 4.96

Aman .815m    Suter 1.6m    Karlsson .775

Di Gi .775

Hughes 7.8m    Hronek  7.2m
Soucy 3.2m    Myers 3mx3
Romanov 2.5x1   Shattenkirk 1.5m x2
Juulsen .775

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The team needs a placeholder for Lekky RW.  I'm thinking that Perron at 36, still has a

couple of good years in him.  He might come in at a decent $ if he gets the 2yrs.   He's

got the IQ and playmaking sense to be a good match on EPs line. 3.8-4mx2yrs

Same thing goes for a placeholder for Willander.  Shattenkirk (35) is still playing solid 3rd pair

and might take a bit of a raise and 2yrs term to sign.  1.5mx2yrs

I would love to see Duclair on JTs line, signed for 3.8m/4yrs.

I also think there's a trade to be had with the cap-strapped Islanders.  They are drowning in

RFA + UFA signings with only 5.8m in cap space.

TRADE: Lee 7x2 + Romanov2.5x1(RFA) for Hogs, Pods + Poolman +12m salary cap for Islanders

As we all know; all, some, one, or none will likely happen.  Just so you all know, with these additions,

The Canuck cap is 87.79m which is too tight to the cap. 

Duclair 3.8mx4    JT 8m     Brock 6.5m

Lee 7mx2     EP 11.6m    (Perron 3.8m)x2

Josh 3.2mx4     Blue 1.8mx2     Garly 4.96

Aman .815m    Suter 1.6m    Karlsson .775

Di Gi .775

Hughes 7.8m    Hronek  7.2m
Soucy 3.2m    Myers 3mx3
Romanov 2.5x1   Shattenkirk 1.5m x2
Juulsen .775

Love the new suggestions and ideas here

Roster would look good for this year but the multi year commitment to Lee, Perron, Duclair would mean no cap space for next off season to resign Boeser and Ramonov

Duclair is a guy I'd want but not at that money. For some reason I think he can be had fir 2M 1 year

33 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Roster would look good for this year but the multi year commitment to Lee, Perron, Duclair would mean no cap space for next off season to resign Boeser and Ramonov

Duclair is a guy I'd want but not at that money. For some reason I think he can be had fir 2M 1 year

Id rather they make a hard push for patrick Kane.

43 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Duclair has had +20 and +30gs in the past 2 seasons and is showing top 6 abilities.  He is a better player

than Joshua.

The salary cap goes up tho 92m next season, which will cover the dead cap space.  They could trade

Garly if they want to resign Brock/Romanov and the rest of the UFAs will be replaced by rookies with ELCs.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

15.5 to fill 5 spots that includes the 2nd pairing D and two forwards(at least one a top 6) and a backup g

Top 4 D are set soucey Myers were middle pair last year and Hughes hronek were our top pair last year so a dman around the 2-3 million mark is my guess the rest on offensive help and a back up tendy which we all see how important can be 

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Top 4 D are set soucey Myers were middle pair last year and Hughes hronek were our top pair last year so a dman around the 2-3 million mark is my guess the rest on offensive help and a back up tendy which we all see how important can be 

Soucy is 3rd pair and Myers is getting older. They will both be better suited anchoring a 3rd pairing. 

Myers is also better suited to be depth for injuries in the top 4. 

Whatever way we put it we need 1-2 defenseman behind Hughes/Hronek. They also talked about Hronek anchoring his own pairing, Probably the reason we are in on Tanev. 

Can still get help offensively if we add to our D.