[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

The team needs a placeholder for Lekky RW.  I'm thinking that Perron at 36, still has a

couple of good years in him.  He might come in at a decent $ if he gets the 2yrs.   He's

got the IQ and playmaking sense to be a good match on EPs line. 3.8-4mx2yrs

Same thing goes for a placeholder for Willander.  Shattenkirk (35) is still playing solid 3rd pair

and might take a bit of a raise and 2yrs term to sign.  1.5mx2yrs

I would love to see Duclair on JTs line, signed for 3.8m/4yrs.

I also think there's a trade to be had with the cap-strapped Islanders.  They are drowning in

RFA + UFA signings with only 5.8m in cap space.

TRADE: Lee 7x2 + Romanov2.5x1(RFA) for Hogs, Pods + Poolman +12m salary cap for Islanders

As we all know; all, some, one, or none will likely happen.  Just so you all know, with these additions,

The Canuck cap is 87.79m which is too tight to the cap. 

Duclair 3.8mx4    JT 8m     Brock 6.5m

Lee 7mx2     EP 11.6m    (Perron 3.8m)x2

Josh 3.2mx4     Blue 1.8mx2     Garly 4.96

Aman .815m    Suter 1.6m    Karlsson .775

Di Gi .775

Hughes 7.8m    Hronek  7.2m
Soucy 3.2m    Myers 3mx3
Romanov 2.5x1   Shattenkirk 1.5m x2
Juulsen .775

Perron is too slow?

Duclair and Tocchet did not work out in Arizona it was similar to the Kuzmenko situation.

Edited by J-23

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Soucy is 3rd pair and Myers is getting older. They will both be better suited anchoring a 3rd pairing. 

Myers is also better suited to be depth for injuries in the top 4. 

Whatever way we put it we need 1-2 defenseman behind Hughes/Hronek. They also talked about Hronek anchoring his own pairing, Probably the reason we are in on Tanev. 

Can still get help offensively if we add to our D. 

Tanev and hronek are both rhd I don’t get the tanev signing we need an LD around 2-3 million to play beside Juulsen 

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Tanev and hronek are both rhd I don’t get the tanev signing we need an LD around 2-3 million to play beside Juulsen 

We need a LD and a RD. 

That D-core would be bad and would be awful when injuries happen. 

Juulsen has done nothing to warrant a regular spot. He’s been good as an extra D but during extended periods when he’s on the team he wares out his welcome with dumb plays at times. 

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Perron is too slow?

Duclair and Tocchet did not work out in Arizona it was similar to the Kuzmenko situation.

Perron is an average skater, but his IQ is through the roof.  That's why he can still put up the #s. 

He sees the offensive game very well and can handle the physical games as well.

I haven't heard anything about Toccett and Duclair.

So I dozed off and had a somewhat elaborate dream:

1. Prior to July 1, Carolina signs Guentzel to 8 x 8 and then trades him to us for a future 4th as part of a sign and trade agreement. (In the dream, Guentzel tells Hurricanes management that, eventhough they met his financial demands, he ultimately wants to reunite with JR / PA / RT and get to play alongside Pettersson.)

2. Tanev turns down 5m per from Toronto and then signs with us on July 1 at a discounted 3.84m per. Tells Toronto management he just wants to reunite with "his younger step brother" Hughes (and doesn't want to be part of Toronto's first round playoff exit in 2025).

3. Dillon signs for 3m per, a hometown discount, using the additional cap from putting Poolman onto LTR. 

Yes, I do cap math in my dreams.

• Wiener 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I haven't heard anything about Toccett and Duclair.

Scratched in Arizona and was then traded when Tocchet was coach. There’s articles around there regarding this. I don’t see Duclair returning to be coached under Tocchet again.

As for Perron, Wings fans say he’s too slow, which is why I was questioning his skating and speed at this point in his career.

Edited by J-23

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Scratched in Arizona and was then traded when Tocchet was coach. There’s articles around there regarding this. I don’t see Duclair returning to be coached under Tocchet again.

As for Perron, Wings fans say he’s too slow, which is why I was questioning his skating and speed at this point in his career.

Tocchet was in an interview back in the day about the trade and the sentiment I got from him was good guy, not a good fit. 

56 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

At this stage of his career? Yes. Also, it would help if we had bigger forwards to surround him with. 

47 points in 50 games says he handled things ok.  

________ Miller boes

Hoglander Petey Kane

Joshua Blue Garland

Or

Hoglander Miller Kane

_______ Petey Boes

Joshua Blue Garland

Or

Petey Miller Boes

Hoglander Stamkos Kane

Joshua Blue Garland

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have a feeling we're going to lose some pieces.

But we will gain ones back, that won't be what you think they are, and the team will be ok.

There are definitely a chunk of UFA names that haven’t really been tossed around on here that are or have been solid players. 

Tyler Johnson 

John klingberg

Adam Henrique

Tyler bertuzzi 

Anthony Mantha

Brady skjei 

Brandon Montour 

Warren Foegele

Alexander carrier 

Daniel sprong

sean monohan

Jordan martinook

Yakov trenin 

to name a few. Some of those are definitely less likely than others, but there are some quality players to fill gaps with there. 

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I have high hopes for this management group on July 1. We will see what they come up with.

Same.  There’s still quite a lot of options out there.  If they stay patient and disciplined we should still walk away with a team worth getting excited about.