[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

52 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

I'd argue he was not. He is a HOF for sure but not generational. 

If you're referring to Kane, then I'd argue he's just toxic at this point.

I don't want him anywhere near our team. Except perhaps when he gets smashed into the bench by someone who does play for us.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

There are definitely a chunk of UFA names that haven’t really been tossed around on here that are or have been solid players. 

Tyler Johnson 

John klingberg

Adam Henrique

Tyler bertuzzi 

Anthony Mantha

Brady skjei 

Brandon Montour 

Warren Foegele

Alexander carrier 

Daniel sprong

sean monohan

Jordan martinook

Yakov trenin 

to name a few. Some of those are definitely less likely than others, but there are some quality players to fill gaps with there. 

Exactly!

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Unless I'm missing something, why is everyone saying we're out on Guentzel? Sounds like CAR struck out a re-signing him, and yes, I know the Lightning just cleared a bunch of cap...

I think he’d have signed if there was fire behind that smoke, but maybe tomorrow?

I also don’t think Tampa realistically has the space with how many guys they need to resign? 

20 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I think he’d have signed if there was fire behind that smoke, but maybe tomorrow?

I also don’t think Tampa realistically has the space with how many guys they need to resign? 

That's what I was thinking. They're at $16.5 million right now and Guentzel at 8x8 would bring them down to $8.5 million still needing to fill 6 roster spots. 

My best guess is they bring Stamkos back and use the remaining cap space to fill the roster out. 

Edited by Pears

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

That's what I was thinking. They're at $16.5 million right now and Guentzel at 8x8 would bring them down to $8.5 million still needing to fill 6 roster spots. 

I mean that’s just slightly worse than us in terms of cap and roster spots. 

We are at 15.5 with 5 spots needed. An entire 2nd pair and at least one top 6 if not two plus a backup G. 

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I mean that’s just slightly worse than us in terms of cap and roster spots. 

We are at 15.5 with 5 spots needed. An entire 2nd pair and at least one top 6 if not two plus a backup G. 

$14.5 million so let's say hypothetically...

$5.5 million for Stamkos

$4 million for Toffoli

$4 million for a dman

$1.3 million for a 4th liner (Duhaime?)

Gives us a 22 man roster with just under $700K in cap space remaining. Doesn't necessarily have to be Stamkos and Toffoli, but we can allocate $9.5 million for one or two top six guys. 

Edited by Pears
added thought
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pears said:

$14.5 million so let's say hypothetically...

$5.5 million for Stamkos

$4 million for Toffoli

$4 million for a dman

$1.3 million for a 4th liner (Duhaime?)

Gives us a 22 man roster with just under $700K in cap space remaining. 

15.5 if you don’t count Tolopilo who is for some reason on the roster on Capfriendly. 18/23 roster spots if you take him out of the lineup. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

15.5 if you don’t count Tolopilo who is for some reason on the roster on Capfriendly. 18/23 roster spots if you take him out of the lineup. 

Yeah, on this roster I already factored in Silovs' new contract so we're still fine either way.  

Just now, Pears said:

Yeah, on this roster I already factored in Silovs' new contract so we're still fine either way.  

I heard rumours of us wanting a veteran G. 

Which I could understand if we had more cap. We needed 3 goalies last season, that’s probably the sentiment, especially with Demko’s health. 

If we want to utilize as much cap for upgrades elsewhere, going with two would do that but would obviously carry some risk. We did lose 2 goalies in a 3 game period in round 1 and having that 3rd G saved the series. 

Still if anyone goes down for extended we could utilize LTIR and that would give us cap for a G. 

Unless Demko will be injured to start the year but nothing to elaborate on that rumour of us seeking a veteran G has come about. It has been pretty vague. 

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [GDT] Do a Thing! Please! I’m Begging… - Free Agency Thread - July 1st
53 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Unless I'm missing something, why is everyone saying we're out on Guentzel? Sounds like CAR struck out a re-signing him, and yes, I know the Lightning just cleared a bunch of cap...

Lightning also need to sign minimum 5 more players with 16.5 of cap 

canucks need to signing minimum 2 with 14.84…