[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I was on the fence about renewing my SN streaming account, but this seals it. SN clearly doesn't give a flying f about what that dick said, or that he never apologized.

Oh well, someone pm'd me some free alternatives.

I am finally cutting the chord all together. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Captain insano said:

Lots of hate for a guy that seems to keep proving everyone wrong year after year 🤣

Yet also seems to wear out his welcome with every club he signs with year after year. 
I just think adding another slower goal scoring winger doesn’t really make us much better.

This is a point where I say we are better off keeping cap flexibility and seeing what PA can do with it as we get closer to or into the season. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Lots of hate for a guy that seems to keep proving everyone wrong year after year 🤣

Haha...I know what you mean. 

I've said he was to slow since he left...He's averaged 28.75 goals a season since. Not all of them on great teams either.

33 & 34 goals the last 2 seasons, perhaps we should concentrate on what he is....instead of what he isn't.

We need someone that can put pucks in the net...on a reasonable contract.     

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But how many years can he keep doing that?

Doubt he signs for less than 4 years which is an issue 

Agreed...I keep waiting for him to slow down. Sooner or later we'll be right though, you know the old saying about a broken clock.

Honestly wouldn't want him for more than 2 years...but feel he'll get more than 3 in FA.

Utah's got alot of money to spend and will need to score some goals. LOL  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

47 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Some sound advice!

Yeah, there are some really worried Wanda's out there. I'm pretty sure they're not just going to lay down and quit if we don't get Guentzel. It's rather funny and head scratching at the same time. I think we owe this group a little bit of trust.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I've said he was to slow since he left...He's averaged 28.75 goals a season since. Not all of them on great teams either.

33 & 34 goals the last 2 seasons, perhaps we should concentrate on what he is....instead of what he isn't.

When you are slow in the NHL in its current state of speed you can play offence or defence, you can rarely do both. 
‘Tocch couldn’t make it work with Kuz and I doubt he will be very compatible with Toffoli only playing one side of the ice. 

11 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

What does he average in the playoffs?  What I don't like about Toffoli is his performance drops by quite a bit in the playoffs.  0.2 PPG or so, and dips down to about 18 goals per 82 games.  

I'd take Debrusk over Toffoli 10 times out of 10.  Probably would be a cheaper signing too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

When you are slow in the NHL in its current state of speed you can play offence or defence, you can rarely do both. 
‘Tocch couldn’t make it work with Kuz and I doubt he will be very compatible with Toffoli only playing one side of the ice. 

Fair assessement...if you could do both you'd be a prized "Big Fish" this off season... but even the big fish don't do both IMO.

Personally, I feel Tocc's issue with Kuz was more that he wasn't engaged physically, had bad mental lapses in his game and not strong along the boards. I could be wrong though. Toffoli is a smart player that see's the ice well and get to area's he needs to (eventually) LOL.  He's also not afraid to mix it up and plays well in the corners.

He's not perfect but he is effective...Only my take on it though.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What does he average in the playoffs?  What I don't like about Toffoli is his performance drops by quite a bit in the playoffs.  0.2 PPG or so, and dips down to about 18 goals per 82 games.  

I'd take Debrusk over Toffoli 10 times out of 10.  Probably would be a cheaper signing too.

Seems like a better stylistic fit with Tocch and adds a nasty factor to EP’s line which he could really use. 
Not a fan of bringing Toffoli in (clearly) as I would rather see what PA could do with cap flexibility but wouldn’t be a terrible short term signing. I just don’t think Toffoli moves the needle enough to really make him worth the cap hit he will probably demand. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Toffoli's playoff point totals are:

93 Games - 20 goals - 26 Assists = 46 points or .5 PPG

For the record, I'm not saying we need to sign him, I still think he's slow... just pointing out he might not be as bad as everyone thinks

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Toffoli may be slow but he's a consummate professional. I think Tocchet could get more out of him than Kuzmenko, aka Boeser. Not to make excuses but Toffoli has had a bad run of luck. After winning the Cup twice in LA went through their retool. Had a great start with Vancouver and then got Benninged. Then went to Montreal where he was pivotal in their Cup run, and subsequent rebuild. Traded for a good package to Calgary where he had a decent playoff and then scored 34 goals the year after. Part of a big trade after franchise turmoil and scored 26(+7) again last year.

I mean he just keeps producing. This guy can score in a myriad of ways. It could definitely be worse than Tofolli. He worked well with Petterson. They have similar offensive styles.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Toffoli may be slow but he's a consummate professional. I think Tocchet could get more out of him than Kuzmenko, aka Boeser. Not to make excuses but Toffoli has had a bad run of luck. After winning the Cup twice in LA went through their retool. Had a great start with Vancouver and then got Benninged. Then went to Montreal where he was pivotal in their Cup run, and subsequent rebuild. Traded for a good package to Calgary where he had a decent playoff and then scored 34 goals the year after. Part of a big trade after franchise turmoil and scored 26(+7) again last year.

I mean he just keeps producing. This guy can score in a myriad of ways. It could definitely be worse than Tofolli. He worked well with Petterson. They have similar offensive styles.

I am coming off a bit more anti Toffoli than really am. His scoring would be helpful but he already struggles to keep up and is getting older, seemed like a good guy when here as well.

I would rather see us keep the flexibility than signing a player of this profile for anything more than 1-2 years, he isn’t blocking Lekk then.  
Would also hate to see a Toffoli contract keep us from re-signing Brock next year. 

and would MUCH rather have Toffoli than Skinner, yikes talk about depending on Tocchet. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Toffoli's playoff point totals are:

93 Games - 20 goals - 26 Assists = 46 points or .5 PPG

For the record, I'm not saying we need to sign him, I still think he's slow... just pointing out he might not be as bad as everyone thinks

I think he was saying it was a 0.2 ppg drop from regular season to playoff. 

• Like 1