[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

I think that we see fewer moves this year than last.

Mikheyev is back next year.  The price to trade him is too great.

I'm afraid Zadorov and Joshua want too much.  

I don't think that Lindholm is a good enough fit to pay him what he wants

It's anybody's guess who Allvin brings in.  FWIW, Zucker played 3 full seasons in Pittsburgh and had only one good year.  Not sure how Allvin sees the 32 year old who made 5.3M last year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I know but if we use the playoffs as what we need and don't need, lets just give away Suter, Aman and PDG kay? :classic_biggrin:

oh yeah and Mik is a given.

imo PDG on the PK was essential during the playoffs, and Suter though snake bit was just about the only player able to get a sog in the Nashville series where they had what seemed 50 blocks a night. Obviously that goes hand and hand he was less of a shooting threat on the ice, 1.6m though Suter is great value.

I would like them to try to run it back for the most part with tweaks. If PA and Zee chatter is to be believed it was mainly term separating the parties. I would say Big Zaddy earned term. I'd like to keep him around anyway. 

Lindholm doesn't make sense if he's your 3C. So he probably goes. Hronek is probably the guy who can land you the winger for Pete. Signing Guentzel is a pipe dream but maybe? They seem to love guys they have history with. Demelo would make a great partner for Hughes and would be my FA pick.

I think they are definitely testing the waters with Brock. If they can get a team friendly extension in place now that would be great. Remember he held out on his last deal if there is the sense that he may do so again. Things could change in a hurry. He wasn't a roaring success with Hog Pete, and Mik Pete obviously were worse. Youre paying to play him with Miller because thats fire. The question becomes how much can you afford to pay him and winger's for Pete? 

Ideally Lekkerimaki would play with Miller right? That's the spot we are hoping he takes.  Is Brock your wall net front guy or is it maybe Dak?

Dak Miller Lekkerimaki 2025/26 Canucks 2nd line 13m ish when that OEL buyout hits. Would be a MGMT master stroke. I think Dakota stays 3.25-3.75 x 4. I would pay soilid assets for a cheaper Joshua assets we don't have in abundance. 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

imo PDG on the PK was essential during the playoffs, and Suter though snake bit was just about the only player able to get a sog in the Nashville series where they had what seemed 50 blocks a night. Obviously that goes hand and hand he was less of a shooting threat on the ice, 1.6m though Suter is great value.

I would like them to try to run it back for the most part with tweaks. If PA and Zee chatter is to be believed it was mainly term separating the parties. I would say Big Zaddy earned term. I'd like to keep him around anyway. 

Lindholm doesn't make sense if he's your 3C. So he probably goes. Hronek is probably the guy who can land you the winger for Pete. Signing Guentzel is a pipe dream but maybe? They seem to love guys they have history with. Demelo would make a great partner for Hughes and would be my FA pick.

I think they are definitely testing the waters with Brock. If they can get a team friendly extension in place now that would be great. Remember he held out on his last deal if there is the sense that he may do so again. Things could change in a hurry. He wasn't a roaring success with Hog Pete, and Mik Pete obviously were worse. Youre paying to play him with Miller because thats fire. The question becomes how much can you afford to pay him and winger's for Pete? 

Ideally Lekkerimaki would play with Miller right? That's the spot we are hoping he takes.  Is Brock your wall net front guy or is it maybe Dak?

Dak Miller Lekkerimaki 2025/26 Canucks 2nd line 13m ish when that OEL buyout hits. Would be a MGMT master stroke. I think Dakota stays 3.25-3.75 x 4. I would pay soilid assets for a cheaper Joshua assets we don't have in abundance. 

As these guys are basically 3/4th liners , I would expect them to provide energy and physicality to the team. Also, the way PDG and Suter were utilized, they also provided support to our top six. 

Yes they were "adequate" but I would like to see a bit more snarl or at least the ability to provide a physical presence on the ice. 

We need more DJ type play and less just OK performances. 

Its hard to say how its all going to play out , but I would hope we keep our physical intimidation intact as we have been missing it for a very long time. 

McDavid has to have some doubt in his head when he enters the Ozone at full speed IMHO.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ronning4center said:

I'd like to throw my vote in for Max Domi for 3rd line center.  Fight, score, character good price.  Book it. .

Meathead.  Too many dumb penalties, IMO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Laine Pettersson Garland

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

Mikheyev Aman Duhaime

Karlsson

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Myers

Dillon Boqvist

Juulson

Demko

Silovs

I like it.  Except Soucy Myers as a 3-4 pair might be a big ask.

Somewhat off-topic, but it seems to me that a few years ago the NHL acknowledged that the July 1st opening of free agency was impossible to police, so they began allowing teams to indicate their interest in pending free agents a week before July 1st, so that everybody was on an even footing. Does anybody know if this is still the case, or was it just for that one year (and I'm sorry but I don't remember what year it was). Anybody?

2 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Hakanpaa is the right price point if we want to retain Big Z.  We can't afford another $3M defenceman if we re-sign Zad to $5Mish and Myers to $3Mish.  We need a $2Mish defenceman that can play 17min+ per night.

9 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

So when Tocchet says he wants big mobile d-men Allvin isn’t messing around. 🤣

Hes gonna corner the market on all the tallest D men!

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hakanpaa is the right price point if we want to retain Big Z.  We can't afford another $3M defenceman if we re-sign Zad to $5Mish and Myers to $3Mish.  We need a $2Mish defenceman that can play 17min+ per night.

Hakanpaa and Dillon?

Just now, Coconuts said:

That'd certainly be a beefy D core

Agreed, though I still think an upgrade on Myers at the deadline would be the top priority. Imagine trading for rental Adam Larsson at the deadline, half retained? 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Larsson 

Dillon - Myers 

Hakanpaa, Juulsen

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hakanpaa and Dillon?

That's what I'm thinking.  Wouldn't be much different than Zadorov-Juulsen as the pairing.  Arguably more reliable overall given Hakanpaa raises the 'floor' of that pairing vs Juulsen.

5 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Agreed, though I still think an upgrade on Myers at the deadline would be the top priority. Imagine trading for rental Adam Larsson at the deadline, half retained? 

Hughes - Hronek 

Soucy - Larsson 

Dillon - Myers 

Hakanpaa, Juulsen

I was looking at Hakanpaa as the upgrade tbh. He averaged 18:38 with the Stars this season, but he also played the 5th most amount of time on the PK, averaging about 3:16 per game. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-defensemen-stats.html

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's what I'm thinking.  Wouldn't be much different than Zadorov-Juulsen as the pairing.  Arguably more reliable overall given Hakanpaa raises the 'floor' of that pairing vs Juulsen.

Agreed, he'd replace  what Cole brought too.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

I think what we might see is Mikheyev start the season with us but really just be a placeholder for 5 mil in cap space until another deal opens up.

Similar to what we did with Beauvillier. After the dust of the start of the season settles Mikheyev may look like an attractive option over some bad July 1 signings.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Carrier could be a good bargain 2nd pair RD option. He's definitely a bit of a late bloomer, but has been playing in Nashville's top 4 and with heavy PK usage while being good for 20-30 points. He turns 28 just before the season starts so still has pretty much all of his prime left.

Projections I've seen have Carrier around 4M which we should have space for. Obviously still some risk in signing someone like him but UFA is never risk free.

8 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Ok... based on Frank S and his $12M for Petey and $8M for Hronek, we should expect something in the high $8M range which I think many of us would be very happy with.  It does make sense when you think of what guys like JT Miller and Zibanejad signed for around the same age and production.

8 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Carrier could be a good bargain 2nd pair RD option. He's definitely a bit of a late bloomer, but has been playing in Nashville's top 4 and with heavy PK usage while being good for 20-30 points. He turns 28 just before the season starts so still has pretty much all of his prime left.

Projections I've seen have Carrier around 4M which we should have space for. Obviously still some risk in signing someone like him but UFA is never risk free.

I like Carrier, but not for $4M, only because he's 5'11" and 174lbs.  We're building an identity on our blueline, and Carrier doesn't fit that identity.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1