[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

JR/Allvin need to lock up Silovs, then re-sign DeSmith or another backup tomorrow.

Curious if they'll sign Jack Campbell (32) with the hopes of Ian Clark performing an exorcism. Get all of that stinky Oil off him. 

His numbers were actually pretty good - as a backup - from 2021/22 and years before (TOR/LA). Don't know what happened to him, though, other than being in Edmonton. 

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And we don't sign anymore players with the $14M+ remaining in cap space. 

Or they sign the wrong players, and those guys end up being terrible.

Or, even if the Canucks improve, the other teams still get better than us.

There is a reason they play the games, and don't just decide who wins, by looking at the rosters.

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The good playoff performers actually maintain close to their regular season production.  Check out Debrusk for example.  

But Marchand and Bergeron I don't think do. It'd still take Marchand/Bergeron over Debrusk 

10 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Ok this tell us that the canucks will be a playoff team because they were the 3rd best team in the west and like you said the playoff teams arent going to be worse.

Or are you the typical pessimistic type of canucks fan and think they going worse for sure?

No, but it doesn't take much for a season to take a dive in the age of parity.  Bad start, injuries, disharmony, poor play in general.

I think they're a playoff team, but there's never any guarantees 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Teams on the bubble could definitely take a step back.

If the playoff teams, who do you see taking a step back?

Of the non playoff teams who hung around, I agree, though I think Utah is in the mix and I think Seattle will be improved as well

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of the non playoff teams who hung around, I agree, though I think Utah is in the mix and I think Seattle will be improved as well

Edmonton will definitely be taking a step back though they do get some more cap with the Campbell buyout, but not much

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

LA and Nashville I could see taking a step back.

I think Nashville overachieved and how long can LA keep squeezing juice out of Kopitar and Doughty?

Vegas is still a wild card for me. Losing Marchassault could be a big blow to them. That guy seems like the heart of the team. Their goaltending is still questionable too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just thinking out loud.    If we aren't going to use free agency,  time to trade a core player to fill out the roster. 

Those guys don't move the needle much.    Solid cheaper guys, that all come with a premium.   Wouldn't it be better to get some more legit players and let our cheap guys fill those roles? 

I like them for their dependability and they help fill roles.  Keeps the floor high.

Unless the Canucks can nab a talented UFA at a great price, Id be ok w saving some cap room, seeing how things go with some of the new faces, and see if any other opportunities come open up via trade etc.   

42 minutes ago, bh90 said:

But Marchand and Bergeron I don't think do. It'd still take Marchand/Bergeron over Debrusk 

Marchand regular season (career) = 0.90 PPG

Marchand playoffs = 0.88 PPG

Bergeron regular season = 0.80 PPG

Bergeron playoffs = 0.75 PPG

Debrusk regular season = 0.57 PPG

Debrusk playoffs = 0.55 PPG

Toffoli regular season = 0.64 PPG

Toffoli playoffs = 0.49 PPG