[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

With the players actually worth bank not making it to market this may be the off-season to hold onto some cap. 
‘Most of the remaining wingers are not worth the premium they will demand.  Some decent depth D but scant higher end D. 
‘Depth and reclamation projects seems like more likely move and see what PA can do with some cap flexibility once the other teams spend like madmen and get in cap trouble. 
‘Don’t like going into season with Myers as second pairing D and essentially nobody for Pettey but still a long way to go.

4 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

z is in his prime not past it like the other two names you got there. Big difference, guys like him you keep to win championships. Why go pay 4 M 1.5 less for a guy 4 years older? 

Again I love Z and I’d love to keep him but hes effectively just a very fun bottom pair player. He’s had one season in his career averaging over 19 minutes a game. He’s not a huge minute guy. He is definitely not someone who will ever play on the pp. for what he does and what he brings there are going to be much cheaper guys out there. Z is worth at best 4.5 mil and even still seeing what a much better player in Demelo just got from Winnipeg and seeing what Myers just got, even 4.5 is high now. Myers was far better and more effective and is getting 3 a year. Although he is much older. Only main difference. I’d rather have Ian Cole back at 2 mil and use the money elsewhere than bring Z back at 5 or possibly more. That kind of money is how you hurt your depth in 2-3 years. 

Tax free states have a major advantage in the salary cap market.  How can we make this fair?  And will they?  If I was an owner of a team in a higher tax market I would be livid.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

Tax free states have a major advantage in the salary cap market.  How can we make this fair?  And will they?  If I was an owner of a team in a higher tax market I would be livid.

Yes it’s becoming a big issue that no longer creates a fair market 

1 minute ago, QuinnNorris said:

Maybe Canucks can setup off shore accounts for all their players?

1 minute ago, QuinnNorris said:

Brian Burke suggested using post tax money for cap. Of course each person's tax is different. But for teams competing for the same players, a general rule may be more fair for all 32 teams. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Ooof ... Canucks could have done that 

Unfortunately not without taxes.  Levelling up the playing field with the salary cap is a scam when the taxes and living expenses offer up advantages.  Although for some reason that's not helping Alberta much 🤣

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So I am hearing from Halford and Brough and Canucks aren't really in on any of the Free Agents. 

Well this management group tends to keep things pretty quiet.

But I have a feeling there’s going to be a trade market that opens up where you can get some good players. If early indications prove right there’s gonna be teams that spend themselves into cap trouble immediately.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Brian Burke suggested using post tax money for cap. Of course each person's tax is different. But for teams competing for the same players, a general rule may be more fair for all 32 teams. 

Wouldn’t it be easier to just use cap percentages instead of dollar amounts then. Variable contracts based on cap percentages. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just use cap percentages instead of dollar amounts then. Variable contracts based on cap percentages. 

Whatever is more fair than the current setup.  Aquilini is willing to spend to win. 

Edited by Jaimito

I would love Tanev but six years is crazy! I thought he was getting a 4 yr deal hands down. Thought that six was a nutty rumor lol yikes! Same with Dillion as our rumor, guys 33 even a 4 yr deal is a year too long. He replaces some of what Z brings but at 4 years older Id rather go higher for Z we don't need 37 year old D with Myers and Dillion when our stars are aligned and window is wide open!