[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

2 minutes ago, Billabong said:

Not surprised.  I'm almost certain the quiet front on Zadorov is because they're trying to desperately move Mikheyev to re-sign big Z.  We'll know in the coming week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billabong said:

I always wonder what this really means. Once a GM has exhausted his options with his peers, whats an agent going to do?

I guess maybe if the agent is there to convince the player to take a team off their no trade list? 

7 minutes ago, Billabong said:

Not surprising, but not exactly encouraging.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I always wonder what this really means. Once a GM has exhausted his options with his peers, whats an agent going to do?

I guess maybe if the agent is there to convince the player to take a team off their no trade list? 

Probably not much, all he can really do is try talking to the management of other teams or the player and simply relay it back to Canucks management. If their recent track record is any indication Canucks management has probably put in quite a bit of legwork looking for potential trade scenarios. 

I'd assume Millstein's already talked to Mikheyev about his clause, players don't typically seem to want to stay where they aren't wanted.

I think it'll ultimately boil down the the Canucks paying up or the price coming down. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Not surprising, but not exactly encouraging.

Probably not much, all he can really do is try talking to the management of other teams or the player and simply relay it back to Canucks management. If their recent track record is any indication Canucks management has probably put in quite a bit of legwork looking for potential trade scenarios. 

I'd assume Millstein's already talked to Mikheyev about his clause, players don't typically seem to want to stay where they aren't wanted.

I think it'll ultimately boil down the the Canucks paying up or the price coming down. 

I guess maybe it's a second source of info? dunno, it always feels like a Hail Mary to me. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Doesn't Milstein currently have a corner office in Rogers Arena as AGM?  Maybe he's finally earning his title?  :hurhur:

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I guess maybe it's a second source of info? dunno, it always feels like a Hail Mary to me. 

Probably. I know they've got dead cap to navigate already, but depending on the price they may simply have to use the buyout route for the second offseason in a row. 

Mikheyev's buyout looks like..

1.15M

2.15M

1.55M

1.55M

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probably. I know they've got dead cap to navigate already, but depending on the price they may simply have to use the buyout route for the second offseason in a row. 

Mikheyev's buyout looks like..

1.15M

2.15M

1.55M

1.55M

its actually not the worst idea. If it wasn't for OEL, it would be a certainty imo. 

I guess maybe MIllstein could have a good relationship with another GM where there's some trust? 

Edited by Bob Long

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its actually not the worst idea. If it wasn't for OEL, it would be a certainly imo. 

It just shaves roughly a million off their flex this offseason, which isn't insignificant. It hurts more next offseason because it'll eat into any cap increase. But ultimately, a pretty small amount of dead cap 3/4 years. 

If a buyout were used to secure Zadorov it could easily be the difference between their being able to chase Guentzel or another top four D or not imo.

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It just shaves roughly a million off their flex this offseason, which isn't insignificant. It hurts more next offseason because it'll eat into any cap increase. But ultimately, a pretty small amount of dead cap 3/4 years. 

If a buyout were used to secure Zadorov it could easily be the difference between their being able to chase Guentzel or another top four D or not imo.

Yeah, a buyout of Mik means either Zadorov OR Guentzel.  Definitely won't be able to afford both.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, a buyout of Mik means either Zadorov OR Guentzel.  Definitely won't be able to afford both.

Both will be signed. You heard it here first 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think this is the last step before worst case, which is a buyout.  

Just now, Devron said:

Both will be signed. You heard it here first 

Then that means Mik was traded for a bag of pucks.  The math doesn't math if he gets bought out and you re-sign Zadorov AND sign Guentzel.  Otherwise your bottom 6 and bottom pair on defence would be pretty bad.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Then that means Mik was traded for a bag of pucks.  The math doesn't math if he gets bought out and you re-sign Zadorov AND sign Guentzel.  Otherwise your bottom 6 and bottom pair on defence would be pretty bad.

Trust the process 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We also need another top 4D, even if Zadorov is retained.

Right now our top four looks like Hughes, Hronek, and Soucy, and only one of them plays the right side. 

They could bring back Myers, but he's probably better served on the third pairing.

Edited by Coconuts

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Potentially yea. But also no one can sell a client like their agent.

He needs to convince a team last season was a result of his surgery and his client is gonna have a strong bounce back season. I actually don’t think that’s much of a stretch either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Trust the process 

The process is fine, but math is math.  No matter what the process is, the math doesn't work lol

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We also need another top 4D, even if Zadorov is retained.

Right now our top four looks like Hughes, Hronek, and Soucy, and only one of them plays the right side. 

They could bring back Myers, but he's probably better served on the third pairing.

Yeah, I have Myers penciled in at $2.75Mish.... probably the best bang for the buck of a top 4 'capable' RHD.  If we brought back Zadorov and Guentzel WITH a Mikheyev buyout, our D group would probably look like:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Our bottom 6 could look something like:

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Aman-Karlsson

Just now, HKSR said:

The process is fine, but math is math.  No matter what the process is, the math doesn't work lol

Yeah, I have Myers penciled in at $2.75Mish.... probably the best bang for the buck of a top 4 'capable' RHD.  If we brought back Zadorov and Guentzel WITH a Mikheyev buyout, our D group would probably look like:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Our bottom 6 could look something like:

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Aman-Karlsson

Id be surprised if they don’t sign someone ahead of Juulsen and Aman.

Those guys are solid depth guys but you can find better options in free agency to play ahead of them.

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its actually not the worst idea. If it wasn't for OEL, it would be a certainty imo. 

I guess maybe MIllstein could have a good relationship with another GM where there's some trust? 

Millstein's a smart agent, In other words he's a talker, In other words he's manipulative.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Id be surprised if they don’t sign someone ahead of Juulsen and Aman.

Those guys are solid depth guys but you can find better options in free agency to play ahead of them.

Can't afford it if we buyout Mik and re-sign Z and sign Guentzel. 

The 'upgrade' would be Duhaime for the 4th line.  We know Joshua won't return in this scenario, so Podkolzin needs to step in and step up.

We could sign someone ahead of Juulsen, but then we'd have to find a cheaper alternative to Dillon.

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I will copy you when both get done Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF

Haha, ok, but like I said, it CAN be done, but the sacrifice will be in the bottom 6 and bottom pair on D.  We won't see Zadorov+Guentzel+Mik buyout and be able to upgrade our D and our bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Haha, ok, but like I said, it CAN be done, but the sacrifice will be in the bottom 6 and bottom pair on D.  We won't see Zadorov+Guentzel+Mik buyout and be able to upgrade our D and our bottom 6.

Jim Carrey Comedy GIF by PermissionIO

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought from the beginning that Kuz was a package deal with Mik via Dan Milstein.  Maybe he can manage something similar in the background.

Agents skate the line of ethics more than GMs can and have the freedom to say and do things GMs can't.

• Cheers 1