[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

Well I guess we'll have to acquire players via trades which means giving away more draft picks  and possibly our prospects in our already limited cupboard. Either overpay or spend assets. Which bullet would you take...

I'd sooner pay some draft capital to acquire talent at a more sensible AAV than these prices / term.  Also looks like the days of Canadian teams being able to get any where a reasonable deal on high-tier talent are over. Seems like all the 'big fish' are going to the no state tax teams - and still at pretty high AAV's.

Just now, NorthWestNuck said:

If the Canucks don’t land SOMEONE to play with Petey, then this off-season was a failure. I don’t care about what if we can sign another depth forward, third pair defence. We need a second line winger that is an improvement over what Mik did.

Don't panic.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wing said:

Well I guess we'll have to acquire players via trades which means giving away more draft picks  and possibly our prospects in our already limited cupboard. Either overpay or spend assets. Which bullet would you take...

JR PA have shown they cdn make good trades 

Can someone explain how all these players are signed before free agency begins? And why is it always the American teams that get the jump, never a Canadian city signing before free agency opens..

1 minute ago, Wing said:

Trades

Just now, Eddie said:

I'd sooner pay some draft capital to acquire talent at a more sensible AAV than these prices / term.  Also looks like the days of Canadian teams being able to get any where a reasonable deal on high-tier talent are over. Seems like all the 'big fish' are going to the no state tax teams - and still at pretty high AAV's.

Canucks giving away draft picks like candy is the reason why the team's prospect pool is so shallow now.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Can someone explain why we are seeing done deals announced in volume a half hour before the start of free agency?  

Some are just leaks. Some traded for rights to sign before FA (eg TBA DB Toronto). Some extended their own players before FA. 

Technically, nux still have time to extend Lindy or Z. 

Edited by Jaimito

4 minutes ago, tas said:

myers spends the bulk of his time protecting the house. debrusk is supposed to spend the bulk of his time forechecking and grinding in corners. 

You're reaching man, and you know it.  Petey having a few more hits than Debrusk doesn't mean anything about how physical he is.  He gets right into the dirty areas.  Watch him more closely next season.  Hopefully for the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

If the Canucks don’t land SOMEONE to play with Petey, then this off-season was a failure. I don’t care about what if we can sign another depth forward, third pair defence. We need a second line winger that is an improvement over what Mik did.

Just remember the off season doesn't end today

Free agency is not the only way we could/should utilize trade route too

Just now, EB43 said:

Can someone explain how all these players are signed before free agency begins? And why is it always the American teams that get the jump, never a Canadian city signing before free agency opens..

Happens every year. I don’t think I believe they follow the rules. Unless they are calling the agents at like 1am 

Just now, Eddie said:

Yeah… kinda disappointing to not see a big splash, but man some of these early prices are crazy.

still some pretty good players out there though

19 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Loser organization?  I mean I get the Boston hate on here but if they are a loser organization what are we?

Big Z is going for bank and that is all that seems to matter to him. 
Man a lot of panic on here. 

More a reference to Marchand still driving the bus for that organization. 

Literally no one is worth taking a contract on right now. 

No to Stamkos - major regression 5 on 5 and doesn’t have Kucherov spoon feeding him goals on the PP

No to Marchessault - way too much money and term for my liking

No to Teravainen - Joshua has the same amount of even strength points as him for 2.5M less.

No to Stephenson - Major regression last season, underlying numbers are terrible, and if his skating ability declines there goes his usefulness.

No to Toffoli - team doesn’t need slow and overpriced 1 dimensional wingers 

No to Pesce - On a downward decline and has already lost a step. 

No to Roy - Will be an expensive contract and he’s a #4 defenseman at best imo.

No to Bertuzzi - He’s signed anyway but he’s just trash.

No to Skinner - Good for 25-30 goals but will cost you 30-35 goals. No ounce of structure to his game, extremely one dimensional, and will get crucified by Tocchet. 

I can see us going after some quality middle 6 depth like Amadio, Carrier, Heinen, Perron on a 1 year contract, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 24K said:

Disaster of a free agency so far for PA. 

Why did we trade Mik again? Don't look like we will need that cap space. 

Not yet. Disaster is overpaying or locked long term with high risk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HKSR said:

You're reaching man, and you know it.  Petey having a few more hits than Debrusk doesn't mean anything about how physical he is.  He gets right into the dirty areas.  Watch him more closely next season.  Hopefully for the Canucks.

? how am I reaching?

100 hits simply put cannot be described as physical for a winger. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Disaster of a free agency so far for PA. 

Why did we trade Mik again? Don't look like we will need that cap space. 

Exactly lol

i just hope we do not move lekkeremski or willander for Necas 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Canucks giving away draft picks like candy is the reason why the team's prospect pool is so shallow now.

Seems to be the plan now, trade all picks for guys to win now. Hopefully next time it's for guys on good deals or guys we can keep..

Just now, Odd. said:

Literally no one is worth taking a contract on right now. 

No to Stamkos - major regression 5 on 5 and doesn’t have Kucherov spoon feeding him goals on the PP

No to Marchessault - way too much money and term for my liking

No to Teravainen - Joshua has the same amount of even strength points as him for 2.5M less.

No to Stephenson - Major regression last season, underlying numbers are terrible, and if his skating ability declines there goes his usefulness.

No to Toffoli - team doesn’t need slow and overpriced 1 dimensional wingers 

No to Pesce - On a downward decline and has already lost a step. 

No to Roy - Will be an expensive contract and he’s a #4 defenseman at best imo.

No to Bertuzzi - He’s signed anyway but he’s just trash.

No to Skinner - Good for 25-30 goals but will cost you 30-35 goals. No ounce of structure to his game, extremely one dimensional, and will get crucified by Tocchet. 

I can see us going after some quality middle 6 depth like Amadio, Carrier, Heinen, Perron on a 1 year contract, etc.

None of these players are linked to the Canucks right now so I wouldn't worry...