[PGT] Holy Cow we did Things!! - Free Agency Thread - July 1st

Who stays, who goes?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Canuck forwards will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

2. 2. Which of the following Canuck defencemen will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

3. 3. Which of the following Canuck goalies will still be Canucks at the start of Pre-Season?

• Thatcher Demko
    • Arturs Silovs (RFA)
    • Casey DeSmith (UFA)

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The process is fine, but math is math.  No matter what the process is, the math doesn't work lol

Yeah, I have Myers penciled in at $2.75Mish.... probably the best bang for the buck of a top 4 'capable' RHD.  If we brought back Zadorov and Guentzel WITH a Mikheyev buyout, our D group would probably look like:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Our bottom 6 could look something like:

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

Duhaime-Aman-Karlsson

I know he was generally better this year but I just am ready to move on from Myers.  I know I am not going to get my wish but I would rather have Juulsen as number 6 and $2M more to plug other holes.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I know he was generally better this year but I just am ready to move on from Myers.  I know I am not going to get my wish but I would rather have Juulsen as number 6 and $2M more to plug other holes.

There's a lot of RHD on the market this year... if Myers' ask is a bit too much (ie. $3.25M to $3.5M), the Canucks may move on to another option.  I think Myers only makes sense if he comes in $3M or less.

Hakanpaa could probably be signed for $2M... that's a savings of $750k to $1M over Myers.  Would these pairings be much worse? 

Dillon-Hakanpaa

Soucy-Juulsen

Then you take that $750k to $1M savings and get another upgrade to the 4th line and bring in a guy like William Carrier instead of Linus Karlsson, or maybe Trenin instead of Aman, and now our bottom 6 looks a little better again:

Duhaime-Aman-Carrier

OR

Duhaime-Trenin-Karlsson

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

There's a lot of RHD on the market this year... if Myers' ask is a bit too much (ie. $3.25M to $3.5M), the Canucks may move on to another option.  I think Myers only makes sense if he comes in $3M or less.

Hakanpaa could probably be signed for $2M... that's a savings of $750k to $1M over Myers.  Would these pairings be much worse? 

Dillon-Hakanpaa

Soucy-Juulsen

Then you take that $750k to $1M savings and get another upgrade to the 4th line and bring in a guy like William Carrier instead of Linus Karlsson, or maybe Trenin instead of Aman, and now our bottom 6 looks a little better again:

Duhaime-Aman-Carrier

OR

Duhaime-Trenin-Karlsson

Been so busy really have only seen Canucks games last couple years so can't really comment on the specific players but I do like that better.  I do really believe Juulsen put himself in a place to be an every day player and is only 775k.

Blue seems to be the forgotten man with all the talk about Zads and Joshua, really would like to see him come back as 3/4C though we still need at least one right shot C.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Been so busy really have only seen Canucks games last couple years so can't really comment on the specific players but I do like that better.  I do really believe Juulsen put himself in a place to be an every day player and is only 775k.

Blue seems to be the forgotten man with all the talk about Zads and Joshua, really would like to see him come back as 3/4C though we still need at least one right shot C.

Yeah Allvin did kinda allude to Juulsen being a top 6 guy next year... so that will be a solid savings in our D core.  Probably the only way we could reasonable afford a buyout of Mikheyev yet still afford Zadorov and Guentzel....

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The process is fine, but math is math.  No matter what the process is, the math doesn't work lol

Yeah, I have Myers penciled in at $2.75Mish.... probably the best bang for the buck of a top 4 'capable' RHD.  If we brought back Zadorov and Guentzel WITH a Mikheyev buyout, our D group would probably look like:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Dillon-Juulsen

Our bottom 6 could look something like:

Duhaime-Aman-Karlsson

Where's Zadorov? :classic_tongue:

That fourth line looks questionable, Duhaime is a solid get but I question Karlsson.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah Allvin did kinda allude to Juulsen being a top 6 guy next year... so that will be a solid savings in our D core.  Probably the only way we could reasonable afford a buyout of Mikheyev yet still afford Zadorov and Guentzel....

While clearly I agree with that I have noticed that PA always does this and it is good practice.  He always pumps the prospects tires to say to the agents we aren't desperate and to say to the prospects, there are chances here.  But whenever he says that sort of thing I take it with a grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Where's Zadorov? :classic_tongue:

That fourth line looks questionable, Duhaime is a solid get but I question Karlsson.

Yeah, a buyout absolutely messes things up.  I don't think we can go after Guentzel with just a buyout without sacrificing a significant amount elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, a buyout absolutely messes things up.  I don't think we can go after Guentzel with just a buyout without sacrificing a significant amount elsewhere.

Agreed, if it turns out the best option is buy out Mikheyev that may even be curtains for Zadorov in Vancouver. There are other D options out there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

The best fit for Petey stylistically 

Likely a $5.5M to $6M AAV forward.  I do like how he plays in the dirty areas on the ice. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1

Just looking over the list of available UFAs and came across this guy Radim Zohorna.

I was thinking he could be a partial Joshua replacement. He doesn’t seem to PK, but he’s 6’6, 220, “uses his size well”, and has a decent scoring touch while playing low minutes.

68% of his starts were in the defensive zone, and he still had a positive corsi.

He is 28. Went undrafted but he signed an entry-level contract in 2020-21.

And the best part? It was our very own Jim Rutherford who gave him that fist contract!

Anyone here watch him play? Have any thoughts?

Edited by Lewlowned
Added video

3 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Just looking over the list of available UFAs and came across this guy Radim Zohorna.

I was thinking he could be a partial Joshua replacement. He doesn’t seem to PK, but he’s 6’6, 220, “uses his size well”, and has a decent scoring touch while playing low minutes.

68% of his starts were in the defensive zone, and he still had a positive corsi.

He is 28. Went undrafted but he signed an entry-level contract in 2020-21.

And the best part? It was our very own Jim Rutherford who gave him that fist contract!

Anyone here watch him play? Have any thoughts?

https://dobberprospects.com/player/radim-zohorna/

"A versatile forward who can play both wing and center. He has a big frame and uses it to his advantage. While he needs to improve his skating, he plays a very smart offensive game."

Probably why he hasn't made a career for himself in the NHL at age 28.  Seems to do well in the AHL though.  I suspect his skating is keeping him from being an effective bottom 6 guy.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

You mean this pinned thread? Do you have bacon in this cult?

See? Now you get it. 

And yes, bacon for some and vegan bacon for others. 

I’m an inclusive Cult Leader. 

Wanna try the grape juice? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Pretty quiet day considering the buyout window deadline is looming...

I would expect tomorrow to be pretty busy. GMs just got to Vegas they’ll start wheeling and dealing tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would expect tomorrow to be pretty busy. GMs just got to Vegas they’ll start wheeling and dealing tomorrow.

Weird how it's draft day tomorrow and the Canucks have nothing going on... July 1st will be more interesting for us